1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32FX68 vs Philips 32PW9308

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by deang, Jan 12, 2004.

1. deang

deang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advice please!

I need to decide between the above 2 TVs. My preference is to go for the Sony because:
    a) Better name / reputation for tube and reliability.
    b) IRO £100 cheaper without stand.
    c) 2 x RGB scarts

Is this right, or is the extra £100 worth the digital processing features of the 9308 (pixel plus etc)?

2. rvd48

rvd48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont go for the 9308 mate.

i've had black bars to a lesser extent, but still very noticable when fiddling the settings. my pixel+ picture was varying from pl to horrendously dirty with halo effect. the pixel+ circuitry over compenstated and peoples faces changed altogether.
    theres a button on the remote and when you press it, half the screen has pixel+ and the other half doesnt and you'll be shocked at the difference.

you may get a good set which is rare but the quality will be good.

i suffer from black bar but not to the extent where it interferes with my viewing, look at this guys post, he has the same tv as me:
    .http://www.avforums.com/forums/editpost.php?s=&action=editpost&postid=845367]this thread[/URL]

also look at http://www.avforums.com/forums/editpost.php?s=&action=editpost&postid=845367]this pixel+ massive thread[/URL] this thread is about a year old, the models are differrent but the circuits i.e. pixel+ and problems like dirty picture and black bars are common for all pixel+ owners. but philips are still churning out duff pixel+ sets.

3. stejcoolj

stejcoolj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deang

I got a 9308 in the Summer and sent it back within a week. DVDs looked fantastic. The picture would jump occasionally with fast moving objects on screen but I could put up with that. What I couldn't put up with was all the pixelisation and shimmering I got when watching TV (ntl digital cable). The tennis was awful, the News looked horrible (the colours were totally unrealistic) and most programs suffered from smearing or other digital artifacts. I messed about with the settings (100hz mode, 50hz mode, Movie plus mode, noise reduction, sharpness etc) and was never happy. I couldn't believe it when all the magazines reviewed the TV a month later and said it was the best TV on the planet! At least these forums seem more accurate.
    I'm now intending to get the FX68 cos I've heard its not got any of the side effects which come with fancy picture processing technology. However, I'm still undecided and want to get it 100% right this time.

4. deang

deang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, it has confirmed my fears about the Philips. I've now ordered an FX68 off the internet so I'll let you know how good IMO it proves to be!

5. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi was the KV32FX68 any good thinking of getting this model myself.

Regards Tulloch:smoke:

6. deang

deang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Sony over a month now and I'm very pleased with the performance. The picture is excellent, particularly DVD through RGB scart. Only occassionally have I noticed any symtoms commonly associated with 100hz or digital processing when viewing cable TV. I'd recommend it up against the alternatives I'd researched.

7. imran999

imran999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ive got the 32fx68 as well. not had much chance to view terrestial or sky output, but dvd is brilliant.

8. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi cheers for info will be use for DVD and NTL Digital is there any problems with NTL then.

Regards Trevor:confused:

9. deang

deang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is NTL Digital, and as I said before only occassional 100Hz symptoms if you really look closely.

10. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok so this 100Hz model is the best out there without to many problems. Over a good 50Hz TV then.

Regards Trevor

11. stejcoolj

stejcoolj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the FX68 for a month now. Very pleased with it. I have it connected to my ntl digital box via RGB, and also connected to my DVD player by RGB. Picture quality is excellent, and have not experienced any of the glitches that many 100hz TVs have.

I would definitely recommend it. The only slight problem that I've experienced is the "smart mode" - this mode automatically stretches 4:3 images to fit the screen and leaves 16:9 exactly as they should appear. Occasionally, this mode will switch off e.g I was watching Channel 4 news tonight (sad I know), the pcture filled the screen because it was in smart mode. Then the adverts came on - which are widescreen - so the TV switched to widescreen mode automatically but then the news came back on (4:3 broadcast) at which point the TV forgot that it had been in smart mode before, and displayed the picture in 4:3 with black bands down the sides. This is just a tiny niggle - a couple of presses of the TV remote sorts it - and it shouldn't really put you off the TV at all.