1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32FX68 still a good buy at £700?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by kcseb, Sep 5, 2004.

1. kcseb

kcseb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Am interested in purchasing this TV, as I want a good 32" set, 100Hz with a stand, but there's a few things holding me back:

1) The price: people on here have mentioned getting it for well under £600 with the stand, but the cheapest I've seen it is £700 (I've tried digital point/electro centre and letsbuyit.com, neither list it on their sites)

2) I get the impression this model is being discontinued, which in itself doesn't bother me too much. But given my requirements, are there better models to go for? Or am I overpaying?

3) What on earth do the various letters (C/U/S) at the end of the model mean? I found the 'KV32FX68C' at Edgware Hi-fi, which lists it as having a stand for £700, the best deal I've seen. I'm hoping the 'C' model isn't a different one to the review models (- most commonly with a 'U').

Thanks in advance for any advice peeps.

Kevin.

2. isko

isko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This price is quite reasonable. You must go for it. Price of 32" or 82 cm equivalent TV (Sony or Panasonic) is almost same here in Istanbul/Turkey. For instance Sony 100MHz DR29M69 is 1125 US$.

3. mgns

mgns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    kcseb,

have a look for the KV32CS70 - this appears to be the replacement for the FX68 and is certainly sub £700. there is also a thread about it on here where people have had a problem with the RGB output - but it's a simple fix. all in all people seem very happy with it, i was definitely impressed by the demo of 'Monsters Inc' i saw on it.

referring back to your comment about the C/U suffixes, i don't think it matters at all.

hope this helps

mgns

4. kcseb

kcseb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mgns,

I've ordered the KV32CS70 for £659 with stand. I was a bit reluctant at first, because its launch price is so low. It just seems as though the big manufacturers (and not just in TVs) seem to cut corners with each new model in terms of quality and reliability, so that they can deliver the new equivalent at a cheaper ticket price with more features.

The FX68 was originally a lot more than £650, and I wonder if it is actually a better built TV. Anyhow we shall see, hopefully the CS70 will give me at least a few years good service.

5. mgns

mgns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i wouldn't worry too much about the difference in prices - with lcd/plasma coming down in price, something has got to give in CRT prices. in any case, i've seen the CS70 retail for £899 on the highstreet.

let us know how you get on with it or better still, add your thoughts to the CS70 thread that was mentioned beforehand.

mgns

6. brummybloke

brummybloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheapest i could find the sony you ordered was £650 with stand and delivery so you got a good deal. i know what you mean about newer things being made with less things on, sony are buggers at doing that, it has been happening with the playstation 2 for years and any chance to make it cheaper they will.

i was lucky enough to get the kv32fx68 and after some swearing and tantrums i got it very cheap and it works like a dream although some people have had minor problems with compatibility i think?

i hope you enjoy your tv when it comes, just a shame that within 2 weeks you will have wished you had spent 4 times what you did and got a 42 inch plasma. ( well i did but have more important things for my money to go on).

7. kcseb

kcseb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've got the CS70 now and set it up. My reaction is that it's cool for the money, I'm not complaining given it cost well under £700 and it's a 32" 100Hz tele that looks the part.

BUT, picture quality wise, the 25" sony we bought at the start of 1992 is superior. More vibrant, crisp (without anything looking jagged) and less noisy. I really do think the picture quality of the CS70, while OK, is not great. It'll do fine though.

Sound wise it's ok, again doesn't blow me, quite a big sound in terms of bottom and top end, but sounds a bit unrefined (i.e. cheap), and can't actually go that loud.

Also, remote control looks nice, not too many buttons, but feels a little light and cheap. One or two of the buttons feel really unresponsive when you push them, and very plasticy.

Overall, the CS70 does what it's supposed to and looks classy, but doesn't feel it (the build quality doesn't seem great), and I get the feeling it won't last 15 years. But it'll still do what it says on paper for the next few years pretty well.