1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32FX68 or not??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by 100mph, Jun 9, 2003.

1. 100mph

100mph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in a Sony KV32FX68 and would welcome feedback from any 32FX68 owners, good and bad.

Also, for anyone who has a FX68, I want to run the audio through my amp, and only my amp with no sound from the internal TV speakers. I've read reviews on earlier models such as the LS60 etc, whereby you have to disable the speakers from the menu every time you turn on. Has Sony sorted this annoyance??

Any help/advice greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

2. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi 100mph,

I have the FQ70 which is quite a new model. I can confirm on this model, the tv speakers automatically switch back on when you switch the set off, so you have to disable through the menu.

Regards

Paul :rolleyes:

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or if you never use them, you could disconnect the speakers on the PCB.

I did this with a Panny TV as the speakers used to fizzle even when decreased to minimum. :)

4. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Hi,

A guy in my office came to look at my 32 FX66 and was so impressed he bought the FX68 as he could not get a 66.

Anyway to cut a long story short he is very pleased with it and it does not buzz either which some of the Sony sets do.

The whole turning the speakers off thing is a pain in the arse im just pleased i have a digibox which i use to connect to my amp.

I have no idea why Sony did that its the only fault i have on my Tv.

Good Luck

Dal

5. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you output the audio from Scart3, the speaker problem goes away.

6. 100mph

100mph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hummh. Some useful comments – thanks. Problem is I really need all 3 scarts for input – especially Scart3 as I do have a SuperVHS VCR outputting S-Video – Scart3 is the only one of the 3 capable of S-Video input on the FX68. In fact I do have 2 SuperVHS VCRs, which means I’ll have to go to composite for one of them. :(

Alternatively I could go for the KV32FQ80 with Scart3 & Scart4 taking S-Video as input – but is it worth it for all the extra hard earned pennies I’ll have to part with, especially if that set also has the ‘Sony pain in the arse speakers off feature’??

My current set is a 21” 4:3 JVC, 14 years old but loves S-Video input (it has 3), and has a clever switch on the rear to disable the internal speakers. So simple. Unfortunately the tuner has gone on the blink, and the teletext decoder hasn’t decoded anything for years. It has served me well, but it’s time to upgrade methinks.

7. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I saw an FX68 and noticed 50 or 100 horizontal lines running across the picture. The were a shade darker than the picture so it was obvious they were there and I couldn't ignore them once the salesman pointed them out to me. They're most noticable on bright or white scenes.

Sitting next to it was a FQ70 which looked so much better - none of those horrible lines. The FX68 can't be kicked into 50hz so there's no way to even attempt to remove those lines. In fact I don't understand how Sony dares sell a TV like that in 2003. Perhaps in 1980!

I strongly suggest you take a look at the FQ70 instead or at least compare the two next to each other in a shop so you don't have to take my word for it.

FWIW I've got my eye on a Tosh 32ZD26. 50/100hz/progressive scan switchable. Rock solid picture. £834 from Robertsons, £60 less than a discounted FQ70.

8. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Use Scart3 for both audio output, and input from a DVD or whatever with the use of a scart break-in adaptor(sometimes called a piggy-back adaptor)I think Maplins still stock them.

9. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you simply reduce the volume to zero (rather than mute it) - it will stay at zero next time you switch on the set (does with my FX66 anyway)

10. trotter

trotter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of getting this TV but am now looking at the KD32DX40, which you can get for around £800
    Yup I know its 50Hz, but the picture looked better than the FX68 in the shop. Integrated digital too.

Any comments?

11. 100mph

100mph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot get digital terrestrial and it doesn't look like there is much probability of me getting it in the future so I've avoided integrated digital sets. For me it seemed better to spend the extra on 100Hz.

I've now gone through the newbie learning curve in studying a lot of the previous posts, thanks for the helpful replies too.

Reckon that QC has a lot to do with the final set that arrives on your door and how it performs. Always reckoned that Sony generally did the best from the main bunch (Panny, Tosh, Philips, JVC etc.) hence my initial interest in the FX68, especially as it is a fairly recent model.

Concur with the a lot of the posts that you can't beat a set-by-set comparison, however I'm not too convinced how scientific this is as it largely depends on how and what the retailer is pumping in the back, and whether the model on display is a 'Friday afternoon' one. Guess that's where QC kicks in.

Since my OP I've done more digging, and am now looking to switch to taking a closer look at the Loewe Aventos 3981 thanks to a lot of the comments on this forum.

More about that later.;)