1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32FX68 from John Lewis...a 'Thank You' [and some help pls...]

Discussion in 'TVs' started by monsieurblack, Oct 16, 2003.

1. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hiya guys

wahey! finally ordered my tv today :clap:

i'd just like to thank you all for your incredible help with this difficult purchase, you must have the patience of saints to put up with my questions! lol :eek: :) appreciate the support no end, cheers.

just incase you were wondering...i went ahead and ordered my Sony KV32FX68 tv from John Lewis today over the phone [as i don't live near a store...] and priced matched to totaldigital.biz at 715 [plus the 30 for shipping]. i'm luckily within their delivery range so i can expect my brand spanking new set on tuesday :cool: i'll let you peeps know how i get on, should be fun :D he he.

not too sure how easy the sets are to set up...but in terms of adjusting the colour/contrast etc how would i go about that? is it just a case of being my own judge and adjust until i feel happy? or is there an 'optimum' way to acheive it?

on a side not...although JL price matched the tv they unfortunately didn't honour their free dvd player :( as they basically said i could have 'either or...' :( as i understood it, the price match was a service that JL offered to the customer on top of what was being offered in store. i still purchased a sony tv off of them so surely i 'qualify' for the free dvd player, no? it shouldn't matter how much i paid for the tv as the player is supposedly 'free'. have i been taken for a ride? if so, how do i go about approaching them to correct the mistake? basically it just doesn't make sense to me, it just smells of a standard high street 'free' where by they charge so much more for the product in the first place that they can 'afford' to give extras away...the guy on the phone pretty much told me to be happy with what i got because it was such a good price, and i agreed it was a good price and i didn't want to sound kinda ungrateful but felt the use of 'free' was misleading...

any thoughts on where to go now?
    thanks
    monsieurblack

2. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    monsieurblack;Read page 1 of the John Lewis price match thead.
    I`ve brought it forward for you for ease of access.

3. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    howdy ibrox :)

cool, thanks for that matey, i'll check it out now...

cheers
    monsieurblack

4. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck monsieurblack and will you post up the outcome for the sake of others please.

5. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi again ibrox

why but of course :)

heres the outcome...i got the dvd player :eek: :smashin:

just got off the phone to the av manager and he said that i was indeed correct and that he would make sure the player went out with my tv.

i gave them a call and spookily got through to the very same guy i spoke to yesterday. he again got quite shirty with me and seemed to loose patience/temper a little. i tried very hard to be polite which i feel i was and just explained how i understood the offer to be. if you buy a tv [sony...?] then you get a free dvd player. thats i what i did, yes they price matched and indeed it was 'like-for-like' as the sales guy kept on stressing to me, for which i agreed with him and am of course extremely grateful. i hadn't asked them to match a package just a set alone. so therefore in my eyes i was still buying a tv and it makes sense that they should give me a dvd player if the offer was how i understood it to be.

anyway...the guy got annoyed with my obvious stupidity [:rolleyes:] and said i'd have to speak to the manager. the manager came on the phone i briefly explained that his collegue had tried to explain how the offer worked but i just still wasn't too sure and that i thought it t mean something different. he asked for my ref. no. and then said he'd look in to it and get back to me.

he rang back within 5-10mins or so and said that i was in fact correct as it wasn't part of the underslae and he'd give me the dvd player too. :)

thank you to everyone who has helped me out [ibrox ;) lynx, onzey... etc etc :)] catch you guys later
    monsieurblack

6. RichieS

RichieS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Considering this TV..How's the picture Monsieur Black?

7. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monsieurblack;Good news indeed.
    Just get it all working to your satisfaction now.

8. mdma

mdma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    been a reader of these forums for quite a while, so thought it was better i joined!

just being nosey, but which j.l did you try?? my nearest one is nottingham and as you live in leicester i didnt know if this was one?

i am wanting the fx68 and was going to phone j.l to see if they would deliver (i live about 40 miles away) as i wanted to buy it from them for the extended warranty (plus my barclaycard would mean 6 years :eek: !)

so just to confirm - they price matched, plus extended guarantee and the free dvd (although *not* particular bothered about that, but as christmas is coming up... :D )

also, is one of the scarts s-video compatible?

9. Dixie

Dixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all. Pls read my reply in 'wots the best tv '

10. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I just emailed John Lewis about price matching and received the following reply? I select "no particular store" for the email to be sent to, is it a case of calling different stores until you find one that will price match???

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your recent email regarding our price matching policy.

Unfortunately, we do not currently price match either internet sites or non-web based retailers. However, you can always be assured of the same dedication to competitive pricing and exceptional value on our website, as you would find in one of our branches. Just occasionally you may find a temporary difference in price on-line when one of our department stores is matching a local competitor.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at customerservices@johnlewis.com or please telephone us on 08456 049 049 anytime between 7am and Midnight, 7 days a week and a Customer Service Representative will be happy to assist you.

Yours sincerely

11. mdma

mdma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    source : http://www.johnlewis.com/info/help.asp?helpid=9&str=950

- email them back pointing 'em back to that!

btw i emailed the nottingham store last night asking the same question, but no reply yet :(

12. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think mugsy's email was to johnlewis.com who don't price match, hence their reply, ( I cut this from mdma's link:- "We do not apply our `Never Knowingly Undersold` pricing slogan to our Internet and John Lewis Direct catalogue prices.").
    However, as far as I know all the stores do so I would expect the reply from the Nottingham store to be more positive.

Search these forums for plenty on price matching.

13. whitcat

whitcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MonsieurBlack, can I ask what stage of the pricematch you were at when you ordered the TV? I presume you had enquired about the match a few days ago, then you ordered after they agreed to it. Or did you order assuming the price match would go through.

I'm also doing a pricematch against Total Digital - not the same TV but being investigated by undersales now - so it would help reassure me that JL do still pricematch them.

Incidentally, did you ask them to match 'Total Digital' or 'Premier AV Centre'? The slightest mention of the word website gets the JL staff tetchy so I was wary of mentioning www.totaldigital.biz.

Thanks,

James

14. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi all :)

sorry i haven't replied sooner...been a lil busy...anyway...

hiya RichieS
    i haven't received the tv yet...due for delivery on tuesday, so i'll report back then and let you all know how i get on :)

he he, yup thats it...i'll see how i get on :eek: thanks for all your help.

mdma: you are indeed correct...i have been dealing with the nottingham branch. it was a pretty close call really between there and milton keynes and solihull.

delivery should be no problem for you. they asked for my post code as one of there first questions and confirmed that they would be able to deliver to me :cool:

with regards to the s-video...according to some sony literature i have scart 1 and 2 are rgb and scart 3 is s-video.

hope that helped...

hi...basically i originally rang to ask if they stocked the tv...spoke to a really nice guy who told me that they did indeed stock it and that they had around 250 currently at their warehouse. he reserved one for me [even though i wasn't too bothered about it at the time...] and i was issued with a ref. no. i called back within a day or two and asked if i was able to order over the phone as i don't live near to a store, they said it was fine. i said i had seen it cheaper elsewhere [told them total digital] the lady asked for what price i had seen it for and for the stores address and telephone no. [after she initially went slightly defensive by saying that they don't match to internet stores and there has to be an actual physical store that any member of the public can go ahead a walk in to off the street]. she informed me that she'd call me back after confirming the price. saying that she would need to get someone from the nearest JL store to actually walk into the shop :confused: and it might be that she would have to call back the next day. anyway...turned out she rang back pretty swiftly...same day and confirmed that they would match the price but said that total digital charge £30 for delivery and added that on...i wasn't overly concerned so agreed and paid by credit card. just before i hung up i did ask if there where any offer on atm she said there were but that i was not eligible as she had price matched...couldn't be bothered at the time to argue [without checking back here first for some ammunition ;)] so let it go. :cool:

and there you have it folks...my journey so far :D the set should arrive on tuesday [hopefully with the dvd player too :rolleyes:] and i'll keep you all informed.

if there anything else you guys need to know, please don't hestitate to ask [either here on the forums, via pm or by email]

bye for now
    monsieurblack

15. whitcat

whitcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks monsieurblack. My JL are a bit slower. When asking for a pricematch on Wednesday, I was told I would be likely to get a response from Undersales on Monday. I already quoted the delivery charge. I'm hoping for good news tomorrow.

16. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    cool :cool:

good luck and keep us posted on how things pan out for you :)

fingers crossed
    monsieurblack

17. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    On the button onzey - I sent my query to the "no particular store" option. I've re-sent it to my local store (Bluewater) so we'll see what their response is.

18. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well done monsieurblack!! I would have gladly thrown in my tuppence worth had I not been on holiday for a week. My FX68 arrived a couple of weeks back (with the free DVD player), and I have to say that I am absolutely delighted with my new set. If you have read the price match problem thread which I began some time ago you will see that I had very similar problems as yourself. Great that it's worked out so well for you.

19. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hiya :)

yeah, thanks for that...ibrox pointed me in the direction of your thread. made a good read ;) always useful to know what others have been through.

glad the sets is ok :cool: i'm expecting mine tomorrow...and lil nervous if i'm honest after hearing peeps 'horror stories' about their various sets :eek: :) lets hope my dvd player shows up too :rolleyes:

if you don't mind me asking, how did you go about setting your new tv up? i've heard that there are various dvds that have a thx setup thing on them [?] or is it best to let your own eyes be the judge? or is there an alternative?

thank you
    monsieurblack

20. RichieS

RichieS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently the free DVD player offer runs out today....bugger

21. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    doh! :(

sorry to here that matey...

wowzers! looks like i only just made it!

let hope it actually turns up...
    monsieurblack

22. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monsieurblack,

To be honest, I took the easy (but more expensive) option of getting JL to deliver and setup all the gear (TV, DVD, VCR and Set top box.) They wanted to charge me £65 but I kicked up a fuss about having spent over a grand with them, so in the end they agreed to £35. (Should they have tried to charge me £65 in the first place?) Anyway, it was money well spent as the TV box wouldn't even fit in the front door....and I live in a flat with a couple of flights of stairs. Anyway, the lads did a great job (a company called Visual FX, sub-contracted by JL I suppose), built stand, plugged everything in, did all the tuning, very courteous and helpful. Sorry mate, but I haven't answered your question atall have I! Safe to say that it did all look fairly straight forward though. Good news is, that the TV definately doesn't buzz!!!!

Good luck for tomorrow. Am sure you'll be as delighted as I am!:D

23. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    he he :D

no worries my friend...they didn't even offer that as an option to me to be honest :eek: but i wouldn't have taken it anyway...i'll get my hands dirty and get to know my new baby inside out :rolleyes: i bet i struggle most with assembling the stand! lol :D

i did think about it fitting through the door but as i'm taking the day off of work then at least i'll be there to maybe unpack it first before getting it inside. [i live in a two bed terrace...so i'm hoping everything will be fine :)]

heres to tomorrow! :smashin:

buzz-less tv ;)
    monsieurblack

24. RichieS

RichieS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know where I can find out the dimensions of the FX68...can't find them on official sony site

Just seen how narrow my doors are!

25. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    lol :D

not on me i'm afraid :( sorry dude...

if you can wait til around 5.30-ish then i'll be able to give you the dimensions i'm sure i have lurking around somewhere :)

i'll check after i finish at work...

huge
    monsieurblack

26. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RichieS,

It did fit through the doors ok once it was out of the box!!! Infact the box does just about fit throught the door, but with a great big stonking TV in there, it would have been practically impossible to actually carry it in.

Didn't mean to frighten you :eek:

27. RichieS

RichieS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys

Monsieur...if you could find them that would be great

28. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    np dude

i'll do my best to dig out all the relevant details for you :cool:

laters
    monsieurblack

29. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi again RichieS

back from work and managed to find the specs...[pretty sure whats quoted is for the set only...]

KV-32 FX 68 U

Size (WxHxD) mm
    883x567x562

Weight kg
    64kg [:eek: ouch! :zonked: lol]

hope that helps geez. let me know if theres anything else you need to know :)

take care
    monsieurblack

30. RichieS

RichieS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant Monsieur.......hope your TV keeps you smiling

Remember...none of them are perfect...:smoke: