1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32FX66

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ianpeter, Jan 16, 2003.

1. ianpeter

ianpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally decided on a set with help from this forum and other sources. Bought the Sony KV32FX66.
    Got it for £799 at Krishav. It was really easy to set up with Sky and my JVC home cinema system.
    The picture quality is unbelievable. I am really pleased so far. The set looks great. It looks much bigger in a room than at the store:)
    The buzzing sound persons complained about is hardly audible. You need to put your head near the back of the set to hear it.
    :D

2. b33k34

b33k34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got one of these to replace an FX60 and to be honest i'm a bit dissappointed as a lot of the menu options have disappeared:
    1) all image processing is now on at all times (there used to be 3 settings)

2) it appears impossible to assign AV inputs to channel numbers so that to get between the two AV inputs i'm currently using needs 4 presses of the ->[ ] button

3)Most annoyingly, S-video detection seems distinctly flaky. My Playstation2 is outputting to an s-video plug which the old fx60 was quite happy about (as are other tv's i've tried it on). However, the FX66 will only detect the signal as s-vid if i switch to the right AV input and THEN switch on the ps2. If I reset the ps2 (short press of power) or switch channels on the tv the TV thinks it's getting composite (with horrible fringing around the edges of everything).

To get it back to S it's necessary to power down the ps2 (and wait till the fan stops spinning) before switching it on again. This is the second FX66 set i've had - the first wouldnt pick up s-vid under at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

However, the geometry is a lot better than the FX60. I'm using it with Tivo however, which raises the picture a bit, so i'd like to drop it a few notches. The service menu is now code based and i cant work it out what anything does - is there a guide anywhere? The fx60 instructions on kv32tweak bear no relation to the service menu on the 66.

m having problems with S-

3. MadAxeMan

MadAxeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to drop my picture through the service menu quite easily. First selection on the initial menu then available on the next.

PM me if you need any more details.

4. Gwyn

Gwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    b33k34,
    Isn't AV3 the only rear scart input that accepts S-video? That's certainly what my manual says - AV1 and AV2 accept only RGB, while AV3 accepts S-Video, but not RGB at all. I've been careful about this because my DVD player only has S-Video output (no RGB), so I have to use AV3, and have had no problems with my 32FX66 detecting it.

(AV4 on the side of the set also takes S-video, but only from an S-Video jack, not an S-Video wired scart).

Are you sure you're using AV3 for S-Video?

5. b33k34

b33k34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem on both AV3 (with an s-video to Scart adaptor) and on AV4. I'm starting to wonder whether it's a ps2 problem (perhaps the signal from the ps2 is a bit weak?) but it was fine on other tv's i've tried it on so at the least the Sony FX66 is being fussy.