Sony KV32FX66 Buzzing

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Mutley.spy, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Mutley.spy

Mutley.spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased the FX66 and was disappointed that such a quality TV has an annoying buzz coming from inside the back of the TV.
    I contacted webelectricals from whom I purchased the TV and they informed me that this is a known problem with this set.
    I decided to contact Sony who have yet to reply to my email. Thinking of phoning them if I do not get an answer on here.

I then scanned this site which has provided excellent information with regards to this buzzing problem, service menu etc.... but nowhere have a I found anybody who has had any luck resolving or even reducing this buzz. Is it possible???

I am also considering a new scart to scart cable to link the AV1 with a sky digibox and also an S-video to Scart cable to link DAVS300 to AV2. Any suggestions of the best cables for this setup would be appreciated.

Grateful for any helpful advice!!!

2. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I think you'll find that your buzzing will die down as mine has over the last month.
    Scart wise i'm using a 19.99 cambridge audio fully wired from Richer sounds conected to a pioneer dv350 and sky digi, having to swap it over at the moment as still waiting on delivery of a Philex Thor Scart for the dvd player. The Cambridge made a great deal of difference for an unrated cable. Can't offer any advice on the S-Video cable but might be worth looking at the Thor cable. Grandata do them at good price's GRANDATA

3. mmm

mmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The FQ80 buzzes loudly aswell :mad:

Gettin it fixed as I type :D

(Hopefully they will have fixed it :blush: )

4. anthonyb

anthonyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep us posted on the FQ80 buzz - I've only noticed mine doing this over the last week and now it's buggin' me...

Cheers,

Anthony..

5. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Me wonder des teh LS60 range buzz aswell??

And what sony doesnt buzz LOL this getting me very worried on what sony to purchase. I was too thinking of getting a FQ80 but if that buzz load for that price it is selling for it not on at all

6. MadAxeMan

MadAxeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can we keep in touch on this thread. I have a buzz which borders on bugging me when the volume is low but I'm gonna give it a few weeks to see if it dies down or I stop noticing it (already have to a large extent).

If it's fixable though let us know, I'll get an engineer out for sure.

7. anthonyb

anthonyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MadAxeMan - that's exactly the same position I'm in...

Other than that, I'm very happy with the TV and not sure the buzzing is bad enough to stop me buying it if I was in the same position again... (if you see what I mean!)

Anthony..
    PS - I know this is the lazy approach, letting someone else sort it first, but it doesn't bother me as much as it might some others...

8. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a story about this TV. I bought a KV32FX66 from webelectrical just before Xmas and sent my first TV back because of the buzz. It seemed unacceptable to me and I kicked up a fuss with them. The annoying thing was that when their henchmen came to collect the set I offered to let them hear it before they took the set. I switched it on and could hear it buzzing away, but they denied hearing anything.
    Anyway, my second set from them also had a buzz AND something more annoying.....the screen was bowed at the bottom of the set and and I had a colour patch on the bottom left of the screen!

I then thought about getting an authorised sony engineer to look at the set. He came, couldn't fix it in the service menu and said it was the tube that was faulty. He also said that the buzz was due to the scanning coils in the TV,.....but I didn't care about the buzz at that point. He then offered to change the tube. I refused and told him it was a brand new TV and I didn't expect to have to get the tube changed. Anyway I complained again to webelectrical and then pursuaded them to get me a third set.
    Guess what...the third set came and it had both of the same problems as the second set PLUS THE BUZZING... which actually by now I was getting used to anyway! I was beginning to wonder whether I should have kept my first set!!!!!! I told webelectrical about this problem and they said they would contact Sony to see what they recommended.....
    After a week of waiting for a reply I eventually got told that Sony are of the opinion that not all TVs are going to be perfect, some are going to be better than others and that I should accept that it will be this way. It is within tolerance. I argued that it is unacceptable having a bendy screen on a £1000 TV. Eventually they told me they didn't want to have to bring another TV out for me to criticise that one and send it back! They said that they sell loads of these TV's and that I'm the only person that has complained (which judging by this forum is certainly not the case). Anyway after a heated discussion I ended up getting a refund and am STILL LOOKING FOR A DECENT SET.
    The annoying thing in all of this is that the Sony telly is a great set let down by consistent flaws in geometry and standards. Its a shame because I want to have another one of these TVs, and am even considering getting one in the hope that the next one will be OK. It wasn't webelectricals fault as they had been very helpful in sorting this out, but am wondering whether a set from somewhere else will be ok. Not seen much else at this price that can beat the Sony FX66, and that includes the Toshiba 32ZD26P.
    Anyway sorry this was a long reply but had to get it off my chest.

Any answers anyone

9. MadAxeMan

MadAxeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can understand what you are saying. A grand is a lot of cash whatever way you look at it.

Having said that I've still not seen many 32" flat screens that have perfect geometry at the edges. I've been pretty lucky - the right hand side is a tiny bit bowed, but I'm not even going to try and fix it in the service menu. It's just too slight.

The overal picture on the Trinitron is just so good I can live with the odd bow. Aesthetically (for me) it is superb compared to others at the price. It also looks smaller than its 32". That's not a criticism ;) that's a good thing.

I'm not sure I would have noticed the buzz if I hadn't known about it. I've had plenty of TVs that make a noise from the circuitry and been prepared to live with it. After a while it doesn't seem apparent. The PC I'm writing this on has a massive fan (two actually) in it, as it is a rack mount unit. It was annoying for about two weeks. Now I never notice it.

The 32FX is a great set and great value at £900. It's perfect to watch sport and movies (where any slight geometry flaws are almost impossible to pick up) which is what I paid the dosh for.

I'm liking it more and more. Go for another one and keep your fingers crossed.

10. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +588
    Mr Chuffy,

I also got mine from webelectricals ordered the first week of October and mine has been perfect from out of the box. There is a slight buzz which has died down as the TV has bed in and i think im very lucky to have one that has not needed any playing about with.

hang on in there, im not the only one to get a almost perfect FX66 and im sure you will too.

But your right, when you spend a £1000 pound for a TV and it comes from SONY you expect it to be perfect, it seems SONY are not shipping out the quality we all are used to in recent years and expect from them??

Sad really!!!

Dal

:cool:

11. avbloke

avbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got Sony KV32FX66 from my local Currys and guess what ....?
    They sold to me second hand TV !!!!!! which is still faulty anyway ! ( buzzing like hover, geometry problem and so on...)
    now am wainting for replacment so will se what gonna happen...

12. Mutley.spy

Mutley.spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your comments regarding the now infamous buzz.

Has anybody actually had any luck actually resolving this problem or is it just to be accepted.

Mr Chuffy: Did the engineer who came out actually do or offer anything that could lessen the buzzing on the posting above??

mmm: Any luck getting the buzz fixed?

There appears to be plenty of us in the same position all awaiting somebody to find a remedy for the prob.

13. TommyP

TommyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine buzzes - only can tell when it's muted and I'm sitting within 1m of the set.

So it doesn't really effect me.

Anyone thats thinking of getting a KV32FX66 do it - don't let the buzz put you off - it's an excellent Tele.

14. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No because I didn't call him out for the buzzing...it was the geometry problem I was more bothered with. He just said that the buzzing was to do with the scan coils.
    Having said that they offered to replace my tube on my tv for free as it was under warranty. Surely by the same token if you ask for an engineer to come out and look at your telly and say that the buzzing is unacceptable, they should be able to do something about it under the warranty. I would consider that if it is really bothering you.....
    I must admit after a while I didn't notice it.....probably because
    A) I had become accustomed to it
    B) I built a shelf in the corner over by TV which masked the noise quite a bit anyway!

I just want a fx66 that looks 99% spot on now...949 incl del from JL + 5 years warranty!

Shall I...Shan't I????!?!!!!!

15. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Go for it............... at least with JL you will get some proper back up............I couldn't be without my fx66:blush:

16. Gwyn

Gwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my FX66 last week and it buzzess too :(
    Even the wife noticed :eek: and she doesn't usually pay much attention to technical stuff (e.g. she seemed to need to justify even buying this TV in the first place :rolleyes: ;) )

I'd read about it on this forum, but bought the set anyway, and although mine looks like it's louder than some have got (it's noticeable from 2m away with normal sound volume), it is not so bad that I'm finding it a big problem. The plusses of this TV outweigh that.

Still, I don't think it should be there, and I really hope it dies down over time. Those of you who seem to have noticed this, are you sure you're not just getting used to the buzz after a few weeks :confused: ;)

17. alle v

alle v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Mine was from the Sony centre.

UK spec...no buzzing, proper manual and great (no need to adjust) picture.

18. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much did u pay at the Sony Centre? John Lewis are out of stock until end of Jan at least!!!!!!!
    Don't want to pay more than £950 for this set.

19. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Mr Chuffy

LOL your in sheffield too ;) Yeah I went into the sheffield JL branch yesterday to buy one but out of stock :( Think all these lot of taken them all on price match LOL

Any the Sony Store in meadowhall selling them for around the 1100 mark could be a bit less.

There again no 5 years warrenty

20. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +588
    Hi,

I went and had a demo in my local Sony Center (Chelmsford) and then came back to work and ordered it on-line and got it about £300 quid cheaper!!!

It seems that most stores are out of this TV, you never know this fresh batch that will be coming through may be much better then what most peeps have been recieveing.

After reading these posts i do count my lucky stars that i have a good FX66, i bought the Tv on quality and never know about possible problems with this set untill i found this forum.....

Cant you guys pre order one from JL and then you know your be getting a fresh one from a new batch??? - worth a try Mr Chuffy.

Dal :rolleyes:

21. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    We can pre order but the item wont be price match till the day they have them in stock and check up with the other store.

Nearly order myself a FQ80 but stop and though why spend £500 more???

By the sound of things most of you that got FX66 dont have a problem watching football on it which is my main concern.

The reason the FQ80 interest me aswell as just if the football was going to be a bit funny I can knock the tv down to 50 hz

22. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +588
    I have proberly watched atleast 15 matches on my FX66 and its been no problem watching Football.

I dont see any point you paying an extra 500 quid, just to wait a couple more weeks, although saying i had to wait for mine and it was worth it!!

Dal :p

23. MadAxeMan

MadAxeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rookies: that's odd you say JL won't price match until they have stock because JL Cribbs Causeway price matched without stock for me. I waited about a week and a half for them to get stock in.

Also - football is great on the TV, just that Sky's encoding flaws show up a bit more on a bigger TV ;)

24. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Neither Do I.

Think I wait for it :) I am sure yous ay I am doing the right thing :)

Also dunno if it was you that answer my question before does the picture and picture on the FX66 work ok?

MadAxeMan

I just got off the phone with JL they have put one down for me and I dont need to take it when they get them in. Just there one reserved for me and when they get it in they will contact me then tell me the price match price. You never know could be cheaper at the time ;) Who know LOL But I am going to wait for it as It seem daft paying any extra £500 for the FQ80 as like it the memory reader which I wont use bla bla bla

25. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +588
    PIP - is excellent.

I was playing my PS2 whilst having the football results displayed on Sunday morning on ITV.

Not something i use that often but is a great feature and works very well!!!

Dal :eek:

26. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Wooo HOOOO that something that interest me playing on my PS2 with footy on too now that a nice feature hee hee hee I know a few tv do this before anyone start ;)

Hmm I think I wait for this set then as it what I wanted nice price etc. Just hope the new batch JL gets be a good one.

If I am right somone was saying on here the PIP on the FX66 is not in the top courner. Do you have a samply picture or able to show us how it appears?

As I wont be going into town for a few days now

27. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +588
    Hi,

You can select in the menus where you want the PIP screen to be. - I have mine in the top Right hand corner but it can go at the bottom if you so wish!!!

You can also select what source its going to use ie AV1 or TV etc etc.

I dont have a digital camera so i cant post a piccy but im sure someone else on here would do for ya!!!

Atleast you know your the first to get one when JL get some in!!

Dal :blush:

28. Gwyn

Gwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, you can configure which of the four corners you want it to appear in! :cool:

I think the only PAP mode (Picture And Picture) is the first source live on the left half screen, and on the right half, a still image from the 2nd source.

Note also that this is only a 1-tuner set, so you can't use PIP for two different channels, unless they come from different sources. i.e. you can watch a TV channel, but the PIP must be an AV input source.

[Edit] Oops cross-posted w3dal ! :blush:

BTW, the FX66 can't do Picture and Text, can it?
    Shame really - that would be nice (I drive my wife mad playing with the text when she's trying to watch TV!)

29. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Anyway

I know the FQ80 got 2 tuner and the FX66 hasnt. There for i can watch 2 tv channels on the FQ80 without having anything els in the AV. Also like you say I can have text aswell as TV

But the FX66 it relay on one AV source for PIP

Anyway I think it the FX66 I am going for cos of it price it a nice price for a nice kit. Unless anyone give me a pointer.

Anyway

FX66 i can get for £899 from JL easy
    FQ80 I can get for £1444 from JL easy

So the ball in my court if i went for FX66 it be around 3 weeks wait could be more

Or get the FQ80 delivered Monday

30. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone...got some interesting news. Just phoned up Sony Centre in Sheffield and asked if they price match. They don't.....but....I told him the price match that JL offered and he said that was a very good price (949). He reckoned JL would be making £3 on the TV. Anyway I explained that Krish are selling it 4 799 and he said it must be a grey import OR B-grade stock. B-GRADE STOCK!! I asked what he meant by this and he said that B-GRADE STUFF usually got shipped to internet companies. He said it was usually where someone had had a problem with the telly and Sony had fixed it or something and then shipped it on to companies. He said that his shop didn't use B-Grade and there had been no problems with any of the tvs they had sold. Also I understand John Lewis would offer the same quality (albeit at a lower price).

Anyway just thought that might explain my problems and I think if I get my second FX66 I would get it from JL or from Sony.

OUT OF STOCK AT BOTH PLACES AT MOMENT SO IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER.

Still, bummer for all those people who have a telly thinking its new but its B-GRADE!

THINK ON