Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony KV32FX65 better picture than Panasonic 32PK20?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Ewok, Jun 20, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic 32PK20 but I am sending it back due to the right speaker being damage in the box and the slight curve on the bottom of the picture.

I am not impressed at all with the image quality of it and every review I have seen has given it 5 stars. I don't see why, but maybe I just have a faulty TV with bad image quality, its just not a smooth picture its like theres a criss cross pattern over it if you look closely, kinda like you can see pixels. I looked at a sony in the shop and it just had small lines horizontally and looked much finer picture.

So does anyone know if the Sony KV32FX65 has better picture than the Panasonic 32PK20?

[ 20-06-2001: Message edited by: Ewok ]

2. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a 32PK20 and have to say when I shopped for a new TV (Dec 00 - January 01) I demoed all models that fitted my criteria & The panny was my selection for picture qaulity before I even saw the reviews in HCC and What Hifi. Maybe you have a duff set, I use my panny connected to A Sony DVP7700 (using Qed Squart)and I still have not seen apicture that surpasses it (eg check out Toy story 2, or "Rosey fingered Dawn" bit on the Thin Red line on a well configured set - its awsome)

Though I do have some of the digital processing features turned off as it is liable to smear sometimes with panoramic shots.

Got mine from Bos Electronics (£899) :D

3. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got mine from sdb, 799, and its on its way back to them on friday too.

4. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Fair one

Though I have heard more than a few repoerts of SDB being a bit ropey.

(grey imports, Brand new Boxed appearing to be pre-used/demo kit)

There was a few posts a while ago on this company, may be worth checking out before parting with anymore readies

(remember you are entitled to a full refund if the product is faulty)

Good luck :cool:

5. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I can safely say the panasonic tyhat I sent back HAD been opened because the front right speaker grill was dented and pushed out, which would have taken some force, yet that side of the box was intact.

I have the replacement Sony Wega here now, I'll take it out and have a look at that tomorrow. If thats not good Ill get a refund.

6. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right. Firstly the blocky grainyness that was on the panasonic is NOT anywhere to be seen on the sony. I dont know if it was just my panasonic but 1 person has told me all the quintrix screens are like that.

Secondly the "smart" aspect ration switching on the sony is irritating because it keeps putting all normal 4:3 broadcasts into full screen wide mode instead of keeping them in 4:3. So you either have to manually change whenevr you want to watch something in widescreen or you can have it on smart and have EVERYTHING in widescreen. The panasonic was more sensible in that it keeps normal tv broadcasts in normal tv picture size but changed to wide when it was wide. It was also quicker and easier to change aspect ratio manually using the panasonic.

Now the the biggie, the brightness and colour of the picture. I have to say now having seen this sony, I do see why the panasonic keeps getting 5 stars for picture. Quite frankly the picture in terms of brightness and colour was for lack of a better word, PERFECT on the panasonic. The sony looks extremely dark in every mode (live, and especially movie which is just plain silly) and when adjusting it manually using the personal option its either still dark or its bright but the bars around the picture go light (not black as they should be) and look sort of purple. Even when the brightness seems ok it looks a bit washed out and just doesnt have the colour of the panasonic.

I would say the panasonic is better in almost every way except for the strange blocky sorta picture and the curve at the bottom of widescreen pictures, both of which might have been problems specific to my TV since had it taken a bash in the box.

Now I'm going to get a look at another panasonic to see if they all suffer from this nasty blocky pixely picture, if they do the sony is better. if not the panasonic is better by far (it is also cheaper).

7. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, a new problem has arisen with my new sony. It seems when I play a dvd, which is using rgb through the rgb scart socket on the tv, it switches to the AV channel and displays the dvd. But as soon as its switched to the dvd channel, the remote doesnt have ANY effect what so ever on the tv. You cant change channels or the volume or do anything via the remote. It isnt the remote because my dvd remote also controlls the tv and this had no effect either.

To get the remot to work again you have to turn off the dvd player (which is infact a Sony 725) and then it returns to the tv channel and you can then use the remote.

So I am starting to think all these sdb tv's are seconds or damaged, the first panasonic had a damage speaker and 2 big holes in the box, now this problem with the sony. It's looking like I will just be telling them I want a refund. Which is handy because then I can have a good look at a couple more panasonics before I buy another.