1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32FQ86 - Worries?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Matt123, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. My first post on this forum so I hope I've selected the right forum?

I've been searching for a forum like this one to answer some queries but typically I find it after I've placed my order for a new TV. I'll explain:

I've literally just ordered the TV in the thread title - http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=3340 - but on doing so I have found a few worries in some reviews from people who already own this TV. I have read one apparent problem regarding banding on the screen in association with the use of Scart leads. Is this a problem anyone here is aware of? and is it something that is likely to sour my experience of this TV?

Also, upon placing my order I suddenly had a thought - What about the stand?! I have bought the TV online from Digital Direct and there is no mention anywhere on there that the stand is included in the price. As it's a Sunday I can't contact them today. Does anyone know if this will come with the stand included? Or will I have to order this seperately?

Any further comments on this TV would be appreciated. I like the look of the set and it's features. Have I bought a good set?

Thanks in advance

Matt

2. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( Ive just been reading through the review thread on this TV and it seems like it's duff? Everyone has reported the same problems with buzzing and the set turning itself on and off for no reason.

Should I cancel my order now? It appears the set has common unfixable faults? Or am I just selective reading?

3. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

I don't know whether to just cancel the order :lease:

4. billystevo

billystevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i were you i would cancel before the set comes and do a bit more reading before you buy, dont forget that you mainly see only the problems with tvs on here, there might be hundreds of people who have good ones.

5. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the thing though. I have been looking into this for weeks. I only bought this set after looking at many online reviews for many sets and this one appeared to be one of the best.
    As I mentioned in my first post I only found this forum after I had placed the order and as such only became aware of the problems upon reading this forum.

As you rightly suggest, there may well be many happy customers and having read through this forum overe the last 24 hours with a bit more detail, I can see that there are many people reporting problems with various sets. Not just this Sony.

Maybe these types of forums have the same problem as when people get a headache, search a health forum, and are led to think they have a tumour. Perhaps my best policy would be to take delivery of the set and chance my luck. My only real reason for the initial post was to try and find out if there were any specific and known problems with this set in general, rather than isolated problems

6. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Overall I've been very impressed with my 32FQ86.
    All sets have quirks, and no CRT set will ever have a faultless picture.
    As a previous poster said, its those with problems that post, and therefore readers get a distorted view of the volume of problems. The vast majority of sets are fine, but there again the vast majority of average viewers have no comprehension of a good quality picture.
    The variation in Sony quality control has become a significant worry in the last few years. Its a technical fact that if certain things are not set up properly at the factory, it can be close to impossible to correct in the field.
    The random switching off and on that has been reported by some owners appears to be a chassis that is too sensitive to slight tube flash-overs. Some new tubes will occassionally flash-over, usually caused by the odd dust particle in the vacuum, reports would seem to show that a set that has this problem will settle down once the flash overs stop, which they almost always do, but it might take a few hundred hours of use.
    It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that all domestic sets are poorly adjusted out of box, contrast brightness and sharpness will almost certainly need proper adjustment.
    The quality possible from good sources is very impressive, but give it a crap source and you will get a very crap picture. Blame DTT/SKY not the set.

I hope this ramble is comprehensible, I've just returned from a colleagues retirement do!!!

7. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Howie.

The courier company phoned today and the TVs arriving Thursday. I'll let you know how I get on :thumbsup:

8. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry but i own the 28 inch model and its going back to where it came from. A few Geometry flaws, faint black bar running down the middle of the screen (only visible during dark scenes), 2 very very fine black lines running horizontally across the screen, digital motion is terrible (even when turned off it still gets caught out), constant interference on connecting xbox to RGB 2 rendering it useless and basically the picture looks very processed, not natural at all. This is too mention a few. In my opinion i would cancel the tv set as teh chances of you geting "lucky" is very unlikley as i reckon the above faults are design faults rather than a faulty set. Hope this helps.

9. green

green

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the 32" version and I'm too pretty happy with it. Geometry was set up quite bad when it arrived but it was easily correctable. Advanced Digital Motion looks really nice with some movies in my opinion (Matrix for example was stunning with it) but not that good with others.

10. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. It certainly seems that matter of personal opinion is the key. What's one persons cup of tea isn't neccesarily anothers.

It's too late to cancel the set. It's being delivered in the morning so I might as well have a look at it hadn't I? ;)

11. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sure do post your opinions on this forum. I'll read with interest.

12. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV turned up at 7 this morning. Unfortunately I couldn't set it up until I got home from work this evening.

After recruiting a possey of 40 strong men to lift this brute of a set from its box to the stand (which you need a degree in cabinet making to build) My first impresstions are good.

The picture quality through Sky is generally good. It's particularly good/extremely good on live channels such as Sky News, News 24 etc, but on programmes such as Eastenders for example (the wife, not me, honest!) the picture can be rather 'watery' looking. Anyone know why this is and if there is anything I can do to make it better?

The sound is good but not awesome and the colouration is good, although with the colours just how I want them on 99% of viewing, for some reason the grass on a football pitch looks too Green. An adjustment to the contrast and colour makes other channels look to dull.

DVDs are scarily good though. The picture is almost 3D in effect on certain films such as Toy Story and other animation films (that's right, just like they demo in the stores ;) )

One last thing, and I really do need help with this from anyone that has one of these sets. How do you get a Playstation to work????? Ive tried going into the menu and it tells you to select a scart port for games, but a Playstation doesn't work off a scart, it works off the red, white and Yellow leads that plug into the front of the set (sorry, I don't know the technical name) Ive plugged these in, but can not for the life of me find out how to access the screen that brings the game up. Any help anyone? :lease:

13. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is a button (second down from power button) thats purpose is to flick between the scart sockets/s-video socket and the composite connection (yellow, red, white). Keep on hitting it till you get a picture from the PS2.

P.S. button has an icon that is a rectangle with an arrow pointing into the centre of it.

14. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Brilliant mate, thank you. Works a treat :thumbsup: