sony kv32fq86 switching on/of

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by cat777, Dec 19, 2006.

1. cat777

cat777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. as any one had the switching on & of at random sorted on this particular model? if so could they tell me what the problem is.
    I have had my tv set now for over 12 months, and in the meantime had two service calls done under warranty, but they were not able to fix it.
    I have taken extended warranty out, because of the poor relailbilty of this particular model.
    On average it switches of at least 3 to 5 times a month, and is very annoying when watching some thing interesting I.e football!
    Would be gratefull of any advice on this issue:lease:

Thank you.

2. technospark

technospark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hi
    when your tv turns itself off does the led flash? and if so how many times?
    then we maybe able to help you out with the problem.
    all the best
    tec

3. cat777

cat777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. i dont think the red led does flash, it just switches of as if you press the on of switch.
    I know it is a well known problem with this particular model. in this month alone it as switched of 5 times allready.
    Next time i will watch to see if the red led flashes, but it can switch on & of any time.
    Getting rather fed up with it now. its put me of buying anything to do with sony now! thought they were supposed to be relaible!
    I have had two visits from comet engineers under warranty, they reckon they could not find a fault with it,and not to bother about, because it doesent happen much! what a response hey.
    but i have extended warranty with domestic & general. but have no faith in these so called experts.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,615
    How do you know this?

5. technospark

technospark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well if that is comets engineers reply i would complain to the head office and i would ask d&g for a local independant repair agent to come and sort it.
    it sounds like a power supply fault where a componant is braking down or causing it to shut down, but your comment about comet does not supprise me they are the same down here
    best of luck
    have a good xmas

6. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    i used to own this set and it happened to the first two i was sold.. they were both returned and replaced.. the set i had eventually was great.. sold it a few months ago and have upgraded to lcd.. you should haggle for a replacement...

7. cat777

cat777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if you tap the make of the tv into search on this forum, it will show up that quite a few people have had this fault.
    just read the thread from the guy below!!!

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,615
    Intermittent faults like that are the worst for any technician to diagnose, more often than not you can visit the set in the customers home, remove the back and have a tap around and see if you can induce the symptoms but most of the time the set won't play ball and the fault won't put in an appearance.
    To be sure of a proper fix with a fault as intermittent as that the set would need to be taken into the workshop and run on soak test until the fault showed up and then some meaningful measurements can be taken and the cause tracked down...so you would need to be prepared to do without it for a while...the guys were probably just trying to save themselves the hassle of transporting a heavy brute of a set to the workshop...and the owners wrath at them not being able to fix it on site.
    It is important for you to note all the symptoms carefully to aid diagnosis...most Sony TVs will generate an error code by way of the standby led flashing so many times...pausing and then flashing again...and repeating the sequence...so if you can carefully monitor and count the flashes they can at least get some idea of which area of the circuitry the fault lies.

9. technospark

technospark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    to give the comet guys a break,
    i used to work there and they only get 30 mins per call so it would help to count the flashes of led as jaycee said or i would try and leave the set on untill they call and see if that will help the tv come out of it good boy state and generate the fault!!
    trust me ive seen loads of faults like this and it is the tecs worst nightmare as jaycee said it can just be a game of sit and wait which can anoy the customer but that is the only way to find the fault
    well i hope you find this usefull
    all the best:lesson:

10. cat777

cat777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. thank you jaycee and tecnospark for your comments. and i know it is a difficult fault for the technician to find with it being intermittent.
    as regrards the led flashing when it does this error, i am almost positive it does not blink.
    I have read on replys and posts about this tv, that there might be a fix for this particular tv model.
    Also could any one say if the software might need upgrading, mine is showing that it as (ae6b/y-next v.946). i have read on here that there might be a possible fault with versions up to ( next v.11.48).

11. technospark

technospark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yes you could ask them to update it or look on the sony website to see when they doing it is normaly done over the air but comet should also have the update too so ask them if they can do it
    well merry christymas

12. polo76

polo76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I returned a couple of sets because of this random on/off fault.
    The fault is within the software of the TV. If you are able to get into the service menu, you will probably notice that the amount of hours the set has been used is completely corrupted and it is showing over 60,000 hours.
    Sony are well aware of this fault and sets made later on had been given a software upgrade to sort this problem out.
    I also remember one person on the forums having had the software upgrade in their home.
    A Sony Authorised service centre should be able to sort this out for you.
    There are various threads on the forum in relation to this.
    Its such a shame that this model has this particular problem as imho it's an excellent tv and one of the last of the high end Sony CRT's.
    I hope this helps you !
    :)

13. Marcus D

Marcus D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had this tv and would never buy Sony again as a result. Had the long running time error and switching off issue within a week of delivery - set replaced begrudgingly and after threatening legal action - New set had almost zero usage hours in service menu, 11.48 software and was running okay - poor picture from every source other than a dvd. Since replacement the set has intermittently switched off and on at random which has been a complete mystery to everyone that has been out to look at it. The Set wouldn’t start and kept switching off and has been giving a 2 flash error code for few days and when I eventually managed to start the start the set the error log reported a "High Voltage Error". Been with engineers where they state that a "front end " (I think!!) transformer thingamajig has gone and its a £200 fix. Thereon he will be able to check for other errors. I reckon this unit is only worth about £200 in working order !!!!!

Been searching several boards of the months and there seems to be a pattern of failures of these sets - Google the model number - Search these boards - You will find plenty. In fact I have recently been chatting to a member of these boards who has the exact same problem as you. I will pm him to see if / how was resolved and let you know.

This unit has been my worst ever purchase - even my car has depreciated at a slower rate and has been more economical to repair (on a £ for £ purchase price basis).

Marcus:thumbsdow

14. paul-av-tech

paul-av-tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Little unfair to knock Sony totally, all manufacturers kit can be a nightmare for known faults, at least they do tend to put up their hands and admit it. Always worth a phone call to customer support when outside warranty to see if they can help out...

Latest version software I understand is 12.51 curing the 'hanging' set problem.

This set also does have an error log showing the number of times a particular error code has been registered. So if your comet engineer failed to look at that, then I am afraid he failed to do his job - 30 mins or not.

15. Marcus D

Marcus D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Fair point Paul, yet Sony were less than helpful, nor too were the retailers where I got the set from - I had to threaten legal action (lucky when Wifey is a solicitor!!!) to get the two week old set swapped.

I have looked at the error log on mine to find 2117 High Voltage errors and that was the extent of the issue the instant I noticed my problem, lord only knows what it was when it finally gave up the ghost. I guess Im soooo bitter as it was my first real expenditure on a tv after having cheapies for several years!!!! Mind you I could have got 3 or 4 for the same price as the sony and they all lasted longer and were less hassle, although pq, features and looks were the trade off.

All in all its a fair point you have made, perhaps its just this model ? Anyone reading this historically please note my correction that my beef is with the KV32FQ86 (my unit in particular) and the retailer

Thanks

Marcus

:thumbsup:

16. paul-av-tech

paul-av-tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yep agree with you too. 14 days is not acceptable and I too would want a replacement.

My post was to the poor chap who stated it was in excess of 12 months old. Comet if I understood correctly simply 'tutted' and ran away. This is not acceptable and as the set has a history of reported problems and Sony are also aware of a known issue with the epg engine (which I do not think is the same fault as you had) then they should do the honourable thing and repair it free of charge. Always pays to speak nicely to customer support (to begin with) amazing how much further you tend to get :)

17. cat777

cat777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. would just like to say thank you to every one who as replied to this problem as regards the switching on & of issue of the sony kv32fq86. your comments have been most helpfull.
    As it stands i have extended warranty with D&g, so will be giving them a call in the new year. and hopefully i can get the problem sorted!! will let you know how i get on.