1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY KV32FQ80SU - Help needed (info)

Discussion in 'TVs' started by BiO, Jan 18, 2003.

1. BiO

BiO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone who has the KV32FQ80SU give a little report on the good and bad points of the set? I’m having a lot of difficulty locating information and thought I might find some here (hope so!)

I’m interested in the quality of the picture as well as the general ‘good’ and ‘bad’ points about the tv.

I presume its not got the type of feature that the Philips P+ sets have (line doubling) and therefore wonder how inferior (if at all) the picture is compared to those sets?

One other thing I’d like to know is what the “Picture Stabilizer” actually does? Is this like the Digital Natural Motion of the Philips TVs or is it something completely different?

The Digital Reality Creation (DRC-MFR) … erm, does what?

Hope I can find the answers here!

Tar,

Martin.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DRC-MF uses unique Sony digital signal processing technology to sharpen images in real time, making them more precise and detailed.
    DRC-50 doubles the amount of horizontal and vertical pixels to ensure maximum detail. With DRC-100, the number of pixels is doubled horizontally as is the number of fields and screen refresh rate - resulting in highly realistic motion and a flicker-free viewing experience.
    So say Sony.
    The Philips and Sony are both excellent televisions, as are others from Loewe, Toshiba, JVC and Panasonic. None of them are perfect and only you can decide what is right for you :) .
    If you like the Sony, buy it.

3. BiO

BiO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on chaps, there has to be some info available on how good the FQ80 actually is? I can't quite decide between this and the Pixel Plus sets from Philips, I need some help! :confused:

The FS76 had a poor review in one magazine - is it pretty much the *same* technology as that, but then again, the price of the 32" FQ80 is the same (or similar) as the 36" FS76, which kinda makes me think the FQ80 has to be better for some reason? :eek:

4. mmm

mmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The FQ80 is a bloody nice TV. It has some wonderful features, mainly the 2 tuners !! very cool.

I have unfortunately some problems with the TV. Which as i type is currently being fixed. The main 3 problems are :

1. Buzzing. Too loud for my liking. Noise can be heard from quite a distance from the TV and over normal TV volumes.

2. On both the left and right sides of the screen - there is about a 1" band of fuzziness...more noticable with the Sky banner/teletext and when you split the screen in two.

3. When you turn the TV on from cold (after a longtime off) there appears to be horizontal banding. It soon disappears after 5mins. It also seems to be related to the buzzing ?

I think that I may be fussy with the above problems...but as I paid over 1400 quid for it - I expect a bloody high quality TV.

Apart from the problems above, the picture is sooooo nice. clear, crisp. just right.

the sound could be better, perhaps with the dolby pro logic stuff added.

just a bloody nice tv.

hope this helps.

m

5. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Ok well put it this way

I was thinking between the FQ80 and the FX66.

I decided for the FX66 because it will do everything I want it too and it got a damn good picture from what i have seen in a few shops. The FQ80 may have a slight better picture but not from what I could notice.

The FQ80 is alot more money because

2 tuner
    Memory Card reader
    Enable to select what hz ie Off, DRC 50, DRC 100

prolly a few other things.

Out of that the only thing i would of like is selecting different picture setting you know DRC 100 etc. But I aint payin an ectra £600 just for that.

Memory reader no good for me as i will not owe a sony cam. The 2 tuner aint really any good for me either as i use sky digital. And the FX66 i can do the same thin really watch a channel witht he tuner as it only got 1 and another channel of sky so it does everyhing I want.

It a matter are you wanting all those features

6. digitalsauce

digitalsauce
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There is a pretty good site that can be found here http://www.sony-middleeast.com/television/drc.htm that has more info on DRC-MF (Digital Natural Creation - Multi Function). I'm not so sure if the FQ80 has the 1250 option listed as it seems to only have DRC-50, 100 and OFF so maybe someone who has the set can answer that question?

It does seem (and I've been looking into the possibility of going for the FQ80) that you might run into problems with the focus-issues on the left/right side -and- the buzzing... it seems to have cropped up quite a lot in the forum. Maybe because the Philips P+ sets are cheaper more have them and therefore more complain here.. fewer FQ80's so fewer complaints, but possibly even worse problems? -) .. You takes your chance with all of the sets and every single one is going to have a problem or two.. The BARs on the 9617 (Philips) are only ever visibile occasionally. The Natural Motion feature beats the Sony sets hands down.. ah, decisions decisions! .. :)

I've seen a review of the FQ80 on a none-english website and it gave it a higher score than the Philips 9617 (ever so slightly) - but it did mention the sound was pretty poor.

7. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    BIo
    check out the specs of the jvc 32d25 at jvc site www.jvc.co.uk
    Ive heard a lot of people being impressed by it although it could be even more than the sony fq80 anyway I am waiting patiently until it comes to some shops in my country. if it way too expensive i will opt for the phillips which has great picture detail.

apparently people have commented how you get even more detail from this set without the artifact problems associated with the philips.

good luck (im in the same boat). but its a lot of money and you have to be as patient as possible until you see all of them and make your final deceision. personally go for the best pic quality that your budget allows as sound you can improve at a later date but pic quality you cant unless you change yur set.