1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32FQ80 or Philips 32PW9527

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by golden, Jan 22, 2003.

1. golden

golden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy a new televison.
    I think about Sony KV32FQ80 or Philips 32PW9527.
    Is the new Sony KV32FQ80 better than the older KV32FQ75?
    Sony has DRC and memory stick. Philips has Pixel Plus and Digital Natural Motion and got a EISA award 2002-2003.

Which television can you advice me?

2. Tasos

Tasos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently seen the Philips 32PW9527 and the KV32-FQ80. Both were showing digital television . The Philips had a much clearer picture even with fast camera pans...They were showing skiing at the time.
    ...The Sony was too processed for my liking

I would go for the Philips

Hope this helps!

3. digitalsauce

digitalsauce
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you can put up with the highly probable possibility that you'll probably end up with a Philips set with 'black bars' .. potentially ‘in your face’ if you like your ‘brightness’ setting to be above anything other than ‘completely black’ (i.e black backgrounds *must* be completely black for the bars not to show.) .. so if your brightness is set to the ‘middle’ regions you’ll probably get something like the picture below.

[​IMG]

You'll hear a lot of people go on about how happy they are with their Pixel Plus sets.. but they are living in the 'dark zone' as they fear turning the brightness up for what they might see -) .. This makes half of the programs look like the lights need turning on, not exactly good viewing!

4. golden

golden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips 32PW9527 has not the same menu as Philips 32PW9617. Is Philips 32PW9527's not better than Philips 32PW9617's menu?

I have a Yamaha DSP-AX1 amp and front, rear, center and sub speakers. Will it not be better to choice Philips 32PW9525 than Philips 32PW9617?

Someone has told me the screen of Philips 32PW9617 is better than the screen of Philips 32PW9527. Is it not the same screen?

5. karl.g

karl.g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My friend and I both bought 9527s from Comet online just before Christmas. Neither have any problems with black bars even at the brightest settings. Pixel+ has occasional side effects, but the positives far outway the negative. Just turn off all other processing options like dynamic contrast etc and set up carefully for a great picture. Basic tv sound is good as well.

6. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    IMO Steer a million miles from the 9527 i f you like sport or action scenes the tracers/artefacts this set leaves behind is incredible for £1100 I was expecting a tv that was the dogs bits instead I got one that was the dogs a*se:suicide:

Watching football was the most pathetic/amusing the players looked like they were wearing heavy fishermans jumpers and the ball looked like cotton wool with a tampax string attached:( I tried every setting with this set as I really liked the sound quality and the look of the set but it was a joke so i sent it back to c*met and bought a Sony 32fx66 ......What a difference footie looks great DVD stunning action scenes ...no problem.!!!....I almost forgot the black bars....and it switched itself off when it felt like it and i only had it for 8 days:laugh:

Maybe I was unlucky but before you buy go into a c*met store and i bet you see one of these on 'managers special'(rejected sets) I actually went into one store and saw 3 on 'rejected set'

Hope this helps and whatever do buy online so if you get the set and you don't like it within 7 days you can back it

7. anthonyb

anthonyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at the Philips 9617 and the FQ80 - I was originally drawn to the Philips by the picture (saw DVD of Monsters Inc.), but after looking at a few, I realised the P+ would really annoy me, making everything non-DVD look really "odd", kind of shadowy and football / sport looked awful.

I was also drawn to the Philips for the Dolby Digital, but as I figured I'd get home cinema anyhow and the wireless speakers aren't really wireless....

I had a brand preference for the Sony, so this all suited me fine. I bought the FQ80 and I'm very very pleased with it (except for a little buzzing if you listen for it...)

Good luck,

Anthony..
    PS - it's a daft point I know, but I hated the Philips remote too!

8. karl.g

karl.g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It must be horses for courses then. I had an FQ75 and thought it was terrible. Bad geometry, a large buzzing sound which got louder with white content on the screen and out of focus down the left third of the screen. I watch football all the time with Pixel+ on and after careful setup the only artefacts I get are shadowing if a person walks very close to the camera. Most Sony CRTs I have seen have a weakness towards the edge of the screen. It really is a personal choice.

9. paulous

paulous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I’m probably in a better position than most to comment on this as in the last week I’ve had both a 9617 and FQ80 sitting in my living room…

After much research I opted for a Philips 9617, when it arrived I was initially disappointed with the size of the speakers… they are massive! Then I was even more disapointed when I discovered they were more or less unusable as every time I walked around the room I got serious interference. I was so miffed that I went out and bought a home theatre kit! So that solved my sound problems.

I was then totally happy, as the picture quality was pretty amazing, I could only fault it slightly on fast moving scenes where it suffers from a slight pixel trail. However I then purchased a high quality s-video cable and plugged my DVD player in to the s-video input on the side of the TV. I then discovered my set had the notorious ‘black bars’ problem. Now in hindsight I’m wondering whether I should have just stuck to the scart AV input for the DVD then I would never had known there was a fault on the TV. But I wanted to use the s-video and didn’t see why I should accept such a fault. So after much ado (see other thread in Philips black bars) the set was returned and I paid an extra £280 and opted for the FQ80.

So now I’ve got the FQ80 sitting in my living room. It certainly looks a lot better, but to be honest I don’t think the picture quality is quite as good as the Philips. It doesn’t suffer from the pixel trail problem like the Philips did, but it doesn’t look quite as sharp and clear as the Philips. Well at least this was my initial impression when going from the Philips one day to the Sony the next. But now I’ve had a few days to get used to it, it seems OK, so I’m reasonably happy with the picture. BUT my FQ80 buzzes really loudly. (see my other thread on this). So now I’ve got to go through the hassle of having an engineer come out again and assess the fault. Apparently it’s quite a common problem so I’m hoping it can be fixed.

So I think if I was doing the whole thing over again I’d probably go for the Philips simply because it’s cheaper and offers equal if not better picture quality to the Sony. But I think the question you should be asking yourself is which fault you can tolerate the most… black bars or loud buzzing, because you will almost certainly encounter problems whichever set you opt for! And how much hassle are you prepared to put up with. I’m sick and tired of complaining to my retailer and wasting holidays and hours off work sitting at home waiting for deliveries, pickups and engineers to arrive.

Now that I’ve got the Sony I plan to stick with it, providing the buzz can be fixed. If it can’t then I’ll be pursuing my retailer to the end of the earth until I get a ***** refund!

In summary:
    Looks- FQ80 wins hands down
    Picture Quality - 9617 is marginally better, depending on what you’re watching though
    Sound - The wireless surround speakers with the 9617 are pathetic, without them both TVs are probably about the same.
    Price - 9617 is approx £300 cheaper, so it wins.

I can’t really comment on the 9527, I didn’t even consider it because but as far as I’m aware the 9617 is the higher spec model.

I just wish both Philips and Sony could produce FAULT FREE TV’s!!!!!!

10. anthonyb

anthonyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speaking of price... John Lewis price matched my FQ80 for £1450 which I was pretty pleased with considering they give you the 5year warranty too...

Anthony..

11. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    karl.g

Care to share the setup on your P+? I'm happy with the picture on my 9617 except for football were the ball leaves a trail when moving over reasonable horizontal distances. For info the setup on mine is:

Brightness 25
    Contrast 50
    Colour 34
    Sharpness 0
    DNR Off
    Active Control Off
    Dynamic Contrast Min
    Smart Picure Personal
    Dig. Options P+

The only way I can get rid of the trail is to turn the Dig. Options to Double Lines. Although I don't have a particular problem with this I would prefer to not dive in and out of the menus every time I switch to footie.

12. gergil

gergil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too recently purchased a P+ 9527 and am pleased with everything except the picture quality when watching football.

I phoned the local service centre and their only advice was to switch to double lines.

I would be keen to know if anyone had cracked the setup problem for football.

13. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might go for the Philips myself...just for the comedy factor of watching 22 fishermen kick a tampax around a football pitch for 90 minutes!!:rotfl:

14. karl.g

karl.g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi mrv.

My settings are as follows on a 9527:

Contrast 62
    Brightness 35
    Colour 40
    Sharpness 2
    DNR medium
    Active Control Off
    Dynamic Contrast off
    Smart Picure Personal
    Dig. Options P+
    Tint Normal
    Colour Enhancement On

It is important to turn of Active Control and Dynamic Contrast. They both use large amounts of valuable processing power and the Dynamic Contrast just seems to concentrate on boosting the contrast control. That is why you have your contrast setting lower than mine. I now find that only objects very close up and filling the screen cause a ghosting effect. I can't use double lines because it looks like the picture is flickering. I think this is 60hz mode it says in the manual. My set is a 9527 with Philips tube.

Hope this helps.

Karl

15. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    All processing is handled by dedicated processors, so Active Control and Dynamic Contrast do not use up any capacity for Natural Motion or Pixel Plus (even these are handled separately). Dynamic Contrast can however make artifacts more prominent.

I do also suggest turning both Color Enhancement and Dynamic Contrast off as they just act to corrupt the image, not rectify actual errors. Turning them off does not resolve the horrible problem with vertical bars, but it does help in reducing (i.e. not amplifying) other picture artifacts.

Double Lines outputs at 50Hz if the source is 50Hz, but the image is motion compensated and each field scaled to double the vertical resolution, for 1152i50 output. I do not know if Pixel Plus is applied then, but I would guess it is, given that the Double Lines option is not available with 60Hz input. The output resolution would be the same anyway as that for 60Hz Pixel Plus (960i60).

With TV broadcasts such as footy, each field in the TV signal is used for an individual motion update. There, the set does not need to apply motion compensation in Double Lines mode since it outputs the same number of images. It does however probably perform de-interlacing to the original image, before scaling and re-interlacing it to twice the vertical resolution.