• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony Kv32fq75

B

BrianDM

Hi,

The tube on my Sony KV32FQ75 has gone (green picture). Thankfully it was covered by the Domestic & General Breakdown Protection. Does anyone know if the fitting of a replacement tube is going to be cost effective or will Domestic & General write it off and send me an equivalent. Or even do a cash settlement as it's now obsolete?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

lord-dudester

Prominent Member
i would very much doubt that a repair will be done. the panels on thier own seem to cost more than a replacement set, then theres the labour to take into account

so i'd pretty much say a replacement will be the way it'll go....

RD

B

BrianDM

Thanks for your reply - that's pretty much the conclusion I'd reached. I'm awaiting a response from D&G following their receipt of the engineers report. The tv is now obsolete so a direct replacement cannot be made so we'll see how D&G place a value on it. My wish would be that they give a value for a 32" Sony LCD as a replacement (!) but I don't think that will happen although it would the "equivalent replacement".

B

BrianDM

Update.
My wish has come true! D & G have written off the tv as being beyond economical repair. To cut a long story short a replacement CRT was not available so they've offered me a Sony KDL-32U2000 as a replacement. This is on the Comet website at £743 so I'm delighted with this result. I've subsequently upgraded it via D & G to the KDL-40W2000 at an additional cost of £800 (Comet website price is £1685 so it looks like I've saved £150). I'm very pleased with D & G as this is a good offer for a 4 1/2 year old tv and am going to get their extended warranty for the new tv.

:thumbsup:

Tankman

Established Member
Hi,

The tube on my Sony KV32FQ75 has gone (green picture). Thankfully it was covered by the Domestic & General Breakdown Protection. Does anyone know if the fitting of a replacement tube is going to be cost effective or will Domestic & General write it off and send me an equivalent. Or even do a cash settlement as it's now obsolete?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian,
Can you describe what the faulty picture looked like? Little concerned as my brand new Bravia has a green-ish hue during some films (eg colours that should be grey tend to look a little too green).

paul-av-tech

Established Member
Two things:

When you said it was green, did you mean a green uniform screen with NO picture information that did NOT shut down after a few seconds? If so it was probably not the tube. This range has a problem with dry joints to one of the large scale chips that is part of the video processing. So - I would hang on to it if the insurers let you - and get a second opinion, you might have a second set for a 50 odd pounds repair bill there :)

The person just posted re a Bravia with green tinge - someone commented in this thread that the 'panel' is not economic - this model is a CRT based set and not a bravia engine to my knowledge, so you may be jumping to the wrong conclusion.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom