1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32FQ70 colour problems

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dvdeviant, Oct 30, 2003.

1. dvdeviant

dvdeviant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday I took delivery of a Sony KV32FQ70. I've set it up and it looks fine...until it's switched on!

Using an RGB connection from a Sky+ box it appears as though the colours are shifting upwards. For example a red area will look grey at the bottom and the red bleeds over the top.

On a 2.35:1 broadcast on Sky movies where black bars are visible, the bottom of the image appears grey for maybe 5-6 lines of the screen and any colour bleeds over the top of the image into the upper black bar.

I don't know if that makes any sense but I can't think of another way to describe it.

Pretty poor for a £1000+ set in my opinion!

Anyone had similar problems - is it worth calling an engineer out?

2. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This seems to affect FX and FQ models which AFAIK share a common chassis. There does not seem to be a fix for it. My own 32FX66 has it, but the actual amount of shift seems to vary from set to set.

3. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the fq70. Like all fq70 it does bleed a bit of red. Not that noticable though and it does not seem to bleed other colours. For example, Monsters inc (lots of colours) looks excellent!.

Not much you can do about it I don't think.

What is the geometry like, etc?

The only problem with mine is a slight purple patch in the top left corner when viewing pure blue, i.e. blue screen from DVD player when disc stopped. It is not noticable during normal viewing thank god but a bit annoying all the same. Does not even show up on a white screen - very strange and clears when you degauss the set. It eventually comes back over time. See this on yours?

Pclarke

4. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have any red bleed on my FQ70. I seem to be free from any nasties.

Only problems I have come across is the hardly noticeable buzz and a slight bend at top right of screen if black bars are above and below picture.

Regards

Paul :)

5. dvdeviant

dvdeviant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. The colour bleed seems strange to me as I'd have expected it to bleed sideways instead of up the screen. Its almost as though the colours on screen are shifted up a few lines - it gives a slightly blurred appearance.

Also, is it correct that sharpness can only be altered when receiving a non-RGB signal. When my Sky+ box is on (RGB) the Sharpness control in the menu is greyed out. I know that other adjustments can only be made when in Personal mode but when an RGB signal is coming in both the Sharpness and Noise Reduction options are unavailable...?

6. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To adjust sharpness/NR in rgb mode.....
    Set to analogue tuner > select menu, select sharpness, then with sharpness adjustment on screen change to your rgb source, sharpness adj remains.

7. dvdeviant

dvdeviant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers HowieC!

I worked out how to do it but can't really understand why...

My old KV36FS70 used to let me do it - maybe its to do with this 100hz Digital Plus processing...

8. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I don't get any such problem with my FQ80

As your's is so new I would ask for another set rather than go down the engineer "no fault found /within manufactures specs route .

9. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    My FQ70 has a tiny amount of upward bleed but nothing like as severe as yours seems to be and barely noticeable. Yours does sound excessive and, as the set is new, I'd get it swapped out to see if it's just a poor set.

I really cannot fault my FQ70 though - the picture is very good.

10. dvdeviant

dvdeviant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well, had an engineer out on Friday who agreed there was a problem and got me an Exchange/Return authorisation.

The set was picked up yesterday and I got the refund from the store last night.

Back to square one!

11. Mintflavour

Mintflavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now had my KV28FQ70 for two weeks now, and still I am unsure about it.

Watched Black Hawk Down on sky and I was impressed couldnt really fault it during this movie, yet to watch another to compare. Watched some football, rugby, american football, and snooker on it (again off sky and I was not impressed).

How do you lot feel about the pictures from this set when watching sport. I have found that most of the colour bleeds occur when there is a green or brown back ground, which unfortunately most sports take part on green fields. When watching snooker the balls look like they have blurred top hats on. As for football and the rest, during long distance shots I find some pixelation around the players with maybe a slight shadow (not sure if this is due to the pixelation) then on top of this the colour bleed which all in all made a pretty pants picture.

During Texts ie subtitles, scores etc. I find there is some pixelation in and around the lettering more so in the horizantal plane.

What are your tvs like under the examples above?

Any advise to improve the picture for sports, or should i go about getting someone to have a look at it.

Please help as Im getting down hearted towards this set.

Cheers

Mint

12. Grimbarian

Grimbarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just took delivery of a FQ70, and watching football on it yesterday I noticed the same issues you mention. When I wide angle view is taken of the pitch with lots of players moving around, the blur and jagged movement of the players is a lot worse than on my old 'cheap' tv! Also when a close up of ManU players was on the screen the red shirts seem to blur at the edges. Have you managed to resolve your problems by changing any settings?:confused:

13. hmsq

hmsq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Well i got this set, and there were loads of bleed on sky and very much pixelation so tried it with xbox and it wa fuzzy to say the least suing scart. and bleed of coulours not only red!
    And it had a bed on the righ side downwards, it was not minor it really spoiled watching the movies as you could the it on the black borders and it attracted all my friends eyes to it, so aks for refund but was provided with replacement which was in worse state. anyways
    it went back they said to me the engineer teste it and there was not fault with it, then i said it bended so there was a fault or defect with it then he says it is manufacurers at the end of the conversation he says there is nothign worng with the sets at all no bending on the right side geometry is perfects on all the sets.
    I'm I crazy does the tv not bend downwards on the right side?

14. Grimbarian

Grimbarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And another thing...! Theres a line that appears across the set when a light background is shown. The lines moving down the screen very slowly! Ah well back to John Lewis then!