1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32CS70S

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Chrisw82, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Chrisw82

Chrisw82
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

Just ordered myself a Sony KV32CS70S for a smidge over £500 inc stand & delivery.

Anyone had any experiences with this TV set ?

[​IMG]

2. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Chris

I have copied and pasted below a review of the set, following a few weeks use of it back in November last year. It is still an excellent set and I have not changed my mind on anything I had previously written (below) - hope it's of some use to you.

Regards

Paul

Sony KV32CS70 Review

Well, as you probably know, this set the KV32CS70 is a 32" widescreen CRT which was released by Sony around June this year. It is a 100hz picture which comes with 'Virtual Dolby Sound'. It replaces the KV32FX68 model which I did manage to find some reviews on (which were mostly pretty favourable) hence why I purchased this model.

Firstly, and perhaps most importantly - the picture. It is a 100hz set. Now, I know a lot of people dislike 100hz sets (I would have previously included myself as well!) but I have to say it is a simply wonderful picture. I mainly use Freeview and I have to say, despite reservations that this might show more "blockiness" on screen, I am very pleased with the results. The only time it is really let down by the digital artiefacts - or smearing - is when extremely fast scrolling text is displayed - this can be a bit of a blur, I have to say. Other than this, as I say, it is a lovely picture - even on pretty fast moving scenes or football matches.

Interestingly enough, I was checking out the CS70 against other 50hz sets and the flicker is noticeable on 50hz sets quite a bit! I honestly didnt think 50hz sets flickered all that much - and I suppose they don't - until you view the pictures side by side. I know people will obviously say "yes but look at the artiefacts with 100hz processing" - but as I say, on this set it doesn't appear to bad at all. I have done hours of research into all this and I have to say (again obviously just my personal opinion) I think the Sony's handle 100hz processing quite well compared to other makes.

I am an extremely fussy person when it comes to tv pictures (especially on "dirty screen" issues or geometery) but I have to say the CS70 copes extremely well with both these potential widescreen issues. The geometery is fantastic - compared to 2 x Panasonics I owned for just a month (both awful purity problems as well as geometery). There is a very, very slight touch of "Dirty screen" (ie patches of static grey on bright/panning images) but it really is hardly noticeable - unlike the Panasonic I bought last month from Currys (model TX32PS500 if you are interested) whereby the dirty screen issues were appalling.

The sound? Well it's supposed to be virtual dolby with something Sony call "BBE" processing - but I would be hard pressed to give you an honest review on this, as I bought a Sony Home Theatre 5.1 kit to use, which of course sounds fantastic. So, I can't honestly comment on the sound itself - I have heard that others say it's a bit of a letdown - but if you can afford a home theatre 5.1 kit, I would get it. I bought the Sony DAV SB100 (which is only an entry level kit but fantastic all the same. It cost me £100.00 exactly with the tv - which is cheaper than ususal - I think Curry's have it for sale at £179)

The actual design of the set is fantastic - it "looks" really good. The only thing I had to get used to was the fact that the stand it goes with is very low (most sony's are these days) compared with the Panny I had a month ago, but once you get used to this, no problem.

Obviously, going back to picturewise for a second, you have the usual modes, ie 4:3, 16:9, 14:9, Wide, Zoom and Smart. I sometimes watch quite a bit of archive tv and still sometimes could not get my head around watching 4:3 with black bars either side. I have to say that the Smart mode (although obviously stretched at the sides) handles 4:3 not too badly - certainly better in my opinion than the Panasonic "Auto" mode - a lot better. Whilst obviously you should really only watch 4:3 as 4:3 (ie black bars) the Smart mode is what I would call "watchable" with 4:3.

What else can I tell you? It's got 3 scart sockets (2 x RGB) and all the usual front connections under a little flap on the side, discreetly tucked away.

The price? Well I paid £799 from a local dealer (I would never ever use Curry's again and would just like to warn anyone who is thinking of using Currys that if you do buy something and it develops a fault then you often have a tough time getting it sorted - believe you me - I know, having dealt with them over my two faulty Panasonics last month which were under 28 days old). However, you can buy online quite a bit cheaper - around £650 I think I saw recently, so it would be worth checking online sites if you don't mind shopping via this method. Personally I am a tad old fashioned and like to deal with a shop directly with face to face contact !!

As I say, I hope someone might find this review useful, as when I was looking around for info/reviews on this model, I couldn't find much at all, so my aim is to help someone in this area who is looking to buy or wants honest advice.

Again, I will say that the opinions expressed are purely just my own beliefs and judgements, but having said that I do feel that it is a worthwhile buy.

3. Chrisw82

Chrisw82
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Paul - thanks for that mate