Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony KV32CS70B Colour Bleed

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by slash84, Jan 9, 2005.

1. slash84

slash84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi. I got this set on Friday and I'm having trouble with colour bleed. There is a thin rainbow coloured line going across 80% of the the screen from left to right at the very top. It is really noticeable when watching a dark picture or flicking channels. Any ideas on how to fix it? It's really annoying

Thanks

2. slash84

slash84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Please!! I'm new to this so any help at all would be appreciated.

3. slash84

slash84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. It doesn't look too bad in the pic but close up it's really annoying. Is there anything I can adjust in the service menu to fix it?

[​IMG]

4. PUD the Ancient

PUD the Ancient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    That looks like the pic just needs moving up slightly. Should be able to do that in the service menu.

5. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    This is the exact problem I've had on my set - it can be adjusted in the service menu under Geometry - near the top is a "Vertical Size" option (forget the exact name since I'm not at home right now) - just up this a couple of notches and you should be fine.

Service menu access is done by putting the set in Standby and pressing (in sequence, not altogether) I+, 5, Vol+, [ ] (the button that looks like an empty box - or teletext off). The set then switches back on with some lovely green code on screen - press Menu and there's your service menu. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU TOUCH IN HERE - DON'T PRESS ANY NUMBERS OUTSIDE OF THE MENU or you'll fill up the TT-- bit in the top right of the screen, and there are all manner of weird effects that can have on your TV. And also only adjust the setting that controls vertical size ;-)

It's very likely this set will be going back due to an RGB flicker issue with all my equipment using RGB Scart - hopefully for a replacement - although I'm concerned I'll get the same issue again :-/ As yet NOBODY here with a CS70 has confirmed for me if they've noticed any "brightness twitching" while using the set (it looks like film noise at first, until you freeze frame a DVD and notice that the noise is still flickering even in still frame :rolleyes:)

Could you possibly PM me with a complete list of your Geometry menu settings? I'd be curious to compare them with mine (although they'll probably differ slightly since all sets are manually tuned). You can ignore the non-white ones at the very bottom, since they can't be changed anyway :D

M;.

6. slash84

slash84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you, The "v size" option fixed it. I just tried a DVD and paused it, and I see what you mean about the flickering. It doesn't happen every single time but it does happen a fair bit. I also noticed that the pioneer loading screen on my dvd player isn't as sharp as it used to be, it kinda looks a bit "jagged" around the edges.I have a crappy scart lead though so maybe that could be the cause? (wishful thinking)

I'll stick the geometry settings here in case anyone else is interested.

ABL TH 0
    ABL MODE 0
    P ABL 15
    V SIZE 42 (was 40)
    V POSITION 31
    V COMP 1
    V LIN 8
    S CORRECTION 8
    H SIZE 34
    PIN AMP 39
    H COMP 0
    UP CORNERPIN 33
    M PIN 0
    LO CORNERPIN 36
    TRAPEZIUM 4
    H POSITION 33
    AFC BOW 12
    AFC ANGLE 8
    LEFT BLK 34
    RIGHT BLK 19
    V ASPECT 0
    AKBTIM1 2
    AKBTIM2 0

7. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there

I have a CS70 and can honestly say I have never noticed any flickering of this nature with RGB/DVD.

Paul

8. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I work for a TV repair company and have come across a Sony TV flickering when playing a DVD, this only happened on RGB, it was ok on Svideo. We had the TV in our workshop three times.
    If this sounds like the same problem I will find what the solution was.
    Nigel

9. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Nigel,

If you can find out what the problem was I'd greatly appreciate it :) I have a Sony engineer coming out on Friday to examine the problem first hand - although if it is the TV, John Lewis have agreed to a replacement anyway, although I'm mildly concerned this issue affects all Sony CS70s - my Pioneer DVD player and Xbox are the main offenders - other equipment does it to a lesser extent but still does it.

The issue only occurs when certain kinds of images are on screen - certain colour composition seems to set it off, but it does happen quite frequently - especially on the DVD player and Xbox, as I say.

Oh well - I'll find out for definite soon enough I think!

M;.

10. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well I've just had the Sony engineer out to look at my TV - he was just as baffled as the installation team when they had a look at it. Looks like it'll be swapped by John Lewis with another one - hopefully without the same issues!!

M;.

11. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I spoke to the bench engineer who fixed the Sony which had a flicker on RGB only, and he said he could not find the fault so he swapped the entire chassis.
    Nigel

12. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for that Nigel :) Hopefully it sounds as if the problem will hopefully be resolved when JL swap the TV over this Tuesday. If not then they've said I can have a refund anyway (I'll be buggered if I really want to go off hunting for a TV yet again tho :-/)

M;.

13. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    reviving an old thread but I got the CS70 delivered 2 weeks ago and on NTSC DVDs I see the same effect of the line as noted above. I have NO brightness flickering though.

Thanks for the answers I'll give them a try over the weekend and see if that solves my problem.

Oh one little thing:

I noticed (using a calibration disc that overscan is a colossal 7% on all sides of my set.

can I still somehow reduce the overscan while shifting the V-value to get rid of the line??
    cheers