1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32CS70: Colour Question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Paul Cooksley, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Sony KV32CS70: Colour Question

Hi there

I wonder if anyone who has a CS70 could comment on this for me please:

I've only just got this set and I am very impressed with it overall, apart from one small niggle:

I don't know if it's just me (hence I would be very interested in reading your opinions) but sometimes to me, whenever the colour red is on screen, it sometimes looks a little "dull" - almost pinkish at times. I would say this is only a very minor thing - I don't want to give the impression that reds are really off colour - they are not - it's just that I can't help but think that reds look a little dull and not quite as "red" as they should be! I have obviously tried experimenting with the user menu settings for colour/brightness/contrast etc. but still seem to notice this small oddity.

The "BBC1" trailer logo (you know the one that appears in the bottom left when a trailer is on) looks ok, as does the "BBC1 menu" when they display a brightish red screen with the programmes coming up... It's just sometimes during programmes//films that I notice the dullness of any red colours.

Whites all look white (yellows sometimes look a little dull/green) but overall there doesn't appear to be any "tint" on the picture - I know about the previous RGB green tint issue - it doesn't affect my set, as I had a quick look in the service menu and the codes are all correct. Besides it is evident on all AV channels as well as watching terrestrial tv without going through a scart connection.

Now, I don't know if there is any truth in this, but, I read on another website somewhere that the "Single Colour Warmth setting" on this particular model is "set at 11000k" giving a slight and very feint "blueish" tint or feel to the picture. Now, I don't really know what this means but if true, I guess it could be the answer...

Just interested to hear from other CS70 owners as to whether they have noticed this slight colour issue on their sets. Interestingly enough, I visited a Curry's showroom (needed a laugh on a Monday morning!) and noticed that the CS70 on display seemed to also display the same slightly sometimes "off colour" red when displaying their shop logo... so maybe this is just normal for this model?

As I say, I am very impressed with the set and the scenario I have described is extremely "minor" and really only "nit-picking" !!!!

Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing your comments on this - just want to know if it's normal or me going slightly mad !!!

Cheers

Paul

2. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm viewing television channels through the aerial, so I wouldn't trust that to give an accurate colour representation on my set for a start.

However, I do see you point in some respects. On the other hand, when viewing DVDs on my Sony player, I get plenty of bright reds coming through, as well as blue and yellow - however blue is the most vivid of the three primary colours, so I'm inclined to agree with your statement that the set may have a blue-tint orientation - I have to confess I don't have cause to complain, especially since I can't see red that great to begin with due to my partial red-deficient colour-blindness ;-)

M;.

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Paul,

Without seeing your picture, it's difficult (well impossible actually) to know if it is within spec.

The Trinitron tube used by Sony is usually highly praised. :lesson:

You admit you're nit-picking, so I doubt you'll get it done under the guarantee.

However, if it's really troubling you, why not get a DVE calibration DVD, go into the Service Menu, and adjust it to your liking.

It's up to you! :)

4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Tight Git

Where would I get one of these calibration DVD's from? Any ideas?

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Paul,

Visit www.videoessentials.com for details.

If you do a search on this Forum for "DVE", there are lots of entries.

Mine cost about £14, if I remember correctly.

Oh yes, make sure you get the PAL version!

6. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi again

Just to confirm, I visited a couple of branches of Currys - set up the CS70 according to my "usual" brightness/contrast/colour settings and stood back and watched reds on this set against all the others lined up .. this particular Sony (as well as another one 32" freeview built in) looked exactly the same as my one when it comes to the colour red - ie - not quite so bright compared to other sets that I quickly tried...

Other makes do have the colour warmth feature, ie normal/warm/cool tints so I guess the Sony one for these sets could well be fixed....

Paul

7. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I must confess that, on more detailed inspection, I find the red on my set to have a very naturally warm red, and not such a bloated artificial red as I've seen on many other sets - maybe I just have mine setup differently (I generally have my contrast up two notches above normal, and occasionally brightness actually turned down the evenings to avoid overly grey-looking blacks).

It's also hideously inefficient comparing to other models in a shop, since even if you do mess with the contrast/brightness settings on the display models, I've often found the results to be completely random at best.

M;.

8. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Whilst I do fully understand your point, I still think that by comparing in 4 different shop showrooms (adjusting brightness/contrast/colour to match my "personal" settings) I did get a feel that reds are not quite so prominent and harsh on this set as they all (in 4 different shops) looked the same as my set at home with regards to this small issue...

Anyone else notice this with their CS70's??

I am particulary interested to know if this "colour warmth setting" thing is true (please see my posting above) and if this can be altered.... I know there is nothing in the user menu, so don't know if it can be altered in the service menu.. I am a bit wary of going down this route though !!!!!

Paul

9. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    There's no direct colour balance option that I've seen in the service menus, however you can boost the strength of individual RGB colours in the ScanRate menu - maybe that'll help?

M;.

10. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Cheers Mike, I did think about this, but it is evident on non RGB sources (ie terrestrial analogue)

However, did some more digging about on the 'net tonight, and it looks like the "colour warmth" is fixed on this set at the equivalent of "cool" which apparently gives a slightly blue-ish white feel sometimes to the picture - not that I would describe my picture like this, but it does make sense in maybe what I am thinking about some of the red colours etc...

Paul

11. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Paul,

The RGB strength settings in the ScanRate menu affect all sources - terrestrial included :) Just that it's set up to give a decent colour balance on RGB/S-Video/Composite signals - not frequency (RF) based signals.

It may also be worth bearing in mind that the Sony set's treatment of RF-sourced material may be different to other TVs - I expect they all have their way of doing it, as I'm sure is the case with any analogue source.

I expect if you were to run BBC One through a digibox via RGB, you'd find the red in the picture far stronger than you get through RF.

I hear what you're saying about the "cool" tint of the setup though - I've noticed this myself, although I must confess that I rather like it as a colour orientation. My PC monitor is run at 9300k, which gives a "cool" orientation - infact 9300k tends to be the standard a lot of displays follow - anything lower and you venture into "warm" territory! :)

M;.

12. Antor

Antor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my CS70, I'm getting BBC One from a digital RGB source and I dont notice any problems with the reds.

I did compare the CS70 side by side with Philips and Panasonic equivalent sets : color temperature on the Sony simply appears to be "cooler", generating a less "agressive" result. More natural, in fact...