1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32CS70 : can't set Sharpness

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Antor, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Antor

Antor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a KV32CS70 : pretty happy with it, but got a question.

In the Advanced Settings Menu (Personal Settings), the Sharpness option is greyed out.

All the other available features (contrast, color, etc.) can be modified but Sharpness can't --- though the User's Guide states it can be ...

Is it normal? Is there a way for me to modify sharpness settings?

Thanks.

2. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You can't modify the sharpness from the settings menu if you are in RGB SCART mode - this is just a supposed "feature" of the CS70 since Sony reckons that the sharpness should be set perfectly in SCART mode and you shouldn't have to make any changes. Alas, lack of decent quality control means that this is rarely the case - but you'll need to access the internal service menu if you're desparate to make changes to the general sharpness of your set.

However, the sharpness control does very little for the set, due to the SVM (Scan Velocity Modulation) technique present in Sony's sets, which artificially enhances dark edges in the picture to make it appear "sharper". SVM unfortunately can't be switched off in the service menu, either.

M;.

3. Antor

Antor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks much for answering Mike.

Effectively, I do use a SCART RGB signal. Since the signal quality is great (satellite digital tuner), sharpness is "OK" most of the time (90% or so).

I agree with you though : too bad it can't be modified easily, but I'll live with it and wont go in the Service Menu --> dont wanna make a mess with the whole global settings :D

Otherwise, considering the price I paid for the set WITH the Sony stand (750 Euros, that is 525 pounds), I'm more than satisfied with this CS70.

Of course, it aint as "perfect" as the Philips 9509, but it's much less expensive and the box design is superior to the Philips... :)

4. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The usual way round this problem which affects all recent Sony sets is ......

Input a non RGB source, the on board tuner will do, select sharpness and then change to your RGB source. The sharpness control should stay active and adjustable.

Can't guarantee it will work with your model, but I suspect it will.

5. Antor

Antor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Howie. I tried you solution... but unfortunately it didn't work.

Pluggin a non-RGB source effectively makes the Sharpness Control active for THAT source, but it doesnt activate it for the RVB source :

DVD Player set on Non-RGB --> Sharpenss Control Activated
    External TV Tuner set on RGB --> Sharpness Control Desactivated

If anyone has another solution...

6. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to make sure you fully understood my post.
    The point is to select your RGB source while the sharpness adjustment is still selected with its slider on screen. Are you saying that if you do the sharpness control de-selects?

7. Antor

Antor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Howie. If I select the RGB source while the sharpness adjustment is still selected with its slider on screen, the sharpness control de-slects, greys out instantly.

Just tried it once again : same result...

BUT if I modifiy the Sharpness Control while the non-RGB source is selected (eg. setting it at +8), the Setting (eg. +8) is saved for the RGB Source.

The problem being that to change the setting once again (eg. from +8 to +5), I have to get back to the non-RGB source screen, the only one that allows Sharpness modification...