• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony KV32 -fq80u picture dark blue/red

wer899

Standard Member
Can anyone help me with my Sony KV32-fq80U.

I have replaced boards G, A, D1, D2, C1 because the Tv wasnt switching giving any picture, and now it is working but the picture is very dark (mainly blue and red). The on-screen setting show up fine.

Does anyone know to calibrate the tube or set via the service menu or can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Last edited:

wer899

Standard Member
I basically need to know how to what to adjust on the service menu to get the picture clear again. I've trawled the net and think values like y-dc, ryb nd ryr etc need moving from their values. Before I start changing them just wanted a heads-up from someone if this the right track.

Eighty odd views and not one single reply :( Can anyone offer any advice?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
wer899 said:
Thank you for replying and no I havent - any idea where this may be situated, and how much adjustment would it need?

This control is usually on the LOPT (or HOT as it's referred to in the US) and it's the large transformer that feeds the CRT with it's high voltage.
There should be 2 controls on it's body (some have 3) with screwdriver slots, the top one controls the focus and the A1 is the bottom one, turn it slowly clockwise until flyback lines appear then back it off untill they aren't visible. The brightness should vary as you turn it.
Beyond that I cannot assist you any more.
Some Sony TVs (and I can't remember if yours does) have the A1 pot on the CRT base, where's it's a standard potentiomer...it may be marked as "A1" printed adjacent to the control.

Last edited:

wer899

Standard Member
This control is usually on the LOPT (or HOT as it's referred to in the US) and it's the large transformer that feeds the CRT with it's high voltage.
There should be 2 controls on it's body (some have 3) with screwdriver slots, the top one controls the focus and the A1 is the bottom one, turn it slowly clockwise until flyback lines appear then back it off untill they aren't visible. The brightness should vary as you turn it.
Beyond that I cannot assist you any more.
Some Sony TVs (and I can't remember if yours does) have the A1 pot on the CRT base, where's it's a standard potentiomer...it may be marked as "A1" printed adjacent to the control.

Thanks JayCee - found the LOPT on the D2 board and the top control pot has focus (F1) written beside it but the bottom has screen (F2/G2). Is this bottom one the A1 pot you mention or there is a pot on the end PCB (labelled C1) to the CRT that has control pot with H-ST written near to it? Your help is much appreciated.

wer899

Standard Member
I tried turning the screen control adjust and the TV went off and the red standby blinked 5 times; I turned it down and the same it went off. I did get some lines on the screen but it was still out of normal colour. I tried adjusting the focus - same as screen. The picture looks out of focus as well as out of colour. The colours look as if they are 'negative' but most are blue and red.

Thanks for your advice JayCee but it didnt help much unless I wasnt doing the right thing.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The set will trip if the screen control is set too far but if backed off to the point where it was the trip will reset by switching the set off then back on.
Sorry, but there are too many variables here for me to give you any further help without me physically fault-finding on the set.
One of the PCBs you've replaced may be faulty, or the wrong one for your particular model, manufacturers ofter introduce board revisions...the CRT could be faulty etc etc.

wer899

Standard Member
The set will trip if the screen control is set too far but if backed off to the point where it was the trip will reset by switching the set off then back on.
Sorry, but there are too many variables here for me to give you any further help without me physically fault-finding on the set.
One of the PCBs you've replaced may be faulty, or the wrong one for your particular model, manufacturers ofter introduce board revisions...the CRT could be faulty etc etc.

The set did reset itself ok as I made the adjustments (although I did switch the set off each time and back on) - TV now is operating with everything fine except for the picture showing different colours and being a little blurred. Btw I took the all of PCBs I changed out of a exactly the same Sony model number TV. (I may check the board numbers to look for revisions?) Originally the TV was going giving vertical lines instead of the picture and I changed caps on the power supply board and it worked for a while, but starting doing the same so I changed the two MCZ3001(?) ICs but no difference. Its a shame because its too old to get someone to fix it because of the cost, and I think too close to working again to bin it.

Maybe I'll try to figure out the service settings that might need adjusting further.

Thanks anyway JayCee - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Last edited:

wer899

Standard Member
Update - attached some photographs to help visualise my picture problems and hope someone might be able to point a direction to fix/correct this issue. Last one also shows how the whole image has shifted to the right by a couple of inches.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 76
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 80

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom