1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV29F1U Cutting out. HELP!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bonzodogdick, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any of you engineering types offer any advice for a technical doofus like meself?

My Sony Trinitron KV29F1U has been a well reliable set, but just recently has started taking ages (about 5 mins) to get a picture to come on, after start up. Its seems to be getting worse almost daily, and now has started to lose its picture intermitantly while viewing. A tad frustrating to be honest! It doesnt lose sound at all, and it plays a DVD fine, its only happens through Sky or Terrestrial signals.

Can anyone offer any advice, or relate to this problem?

The set is about 5 or 6 years old, and will soon be replaced by a plasma, but Id still like to keep the set for the kids, so I can spend a few quid on it, but it may not be worth forking out too much. Just wanted to have some kind of an idea what the problem may be before I take it to the doctors.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading. :hiya:

Bonzo

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When you 'lose' the picture whilst viewing, does the picture disappear suddenly or does it fade away to nothing and come back from nothing to a 'normal' picture ? Regards, yt.

3. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi yt,

Yes the pic disappears suddenly. The screen goes blank (black) for about 1 second, then instantly comes back on again (along with the green symbols showing which station number youre viewing). Itll then be ok for about a minute, then repeats the black out. All the time, the sound is unaffected.

Perhaps worth mentioning (or maybe not :confused: ) is that since it has been playing up, the screen in playback mode has been showing signs of green screen, ie: the horizontal bars along the bottom & top of the screen when viewing a widescreen film, appear greener rather than their usual black. This might be nothing to do with the cutting out, and just a dodgy scart or something.

Hope this makes sense??

4. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could be just a dry joint or an electrolytic cap drying up,should be an easy fix(if you know what you are doing!!)

5. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the last part of your reaction thats the problem, knowing what Im doing :D

Thanks for your response. Sounds like Ill have to pop it round to the Dr, and see what they say (or charge!)

All the best :hiya:

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, if the picture had been fading away etc I would have suggested a problem with the crt heater circuitry but that's not the case if the picture suddenly disappears etc. If the audio is ok then clearly the main psu is basically ok. The fact that it comes back with the channel indicator showing is interesting - does this point to a tuner fault ? especially as you say it's ok when viewing DVDs etc. Not one that can be diagnosed 'remotely' I'm afraid, I'll be interested in what your local tv repair shop says. Regards, yt.

7. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again yt,

Ill let you know the outcome.

8. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it back.

Watching a DVD on it last night and that was cutting out aswell, so its ALL sources that its affecting.

9. RonCole

RonCole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you ever get this fixed and what was it, as my similar model is doing exactly the same