1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV28LS60

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jasonk, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jasonk

Jasonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been looking into getting my first widescreen tv for a few months now and I think I have made my dissision but have a question to ask any one owning a Sony KV28/32LS60.

I have been reading reviews of all the tv's in my price range (approx £800) and was very inpressed with the LS60 after reading a review in Home Entertainment magazine. One of the many features I am keen on is the Virtual Dolby as I have a fairly small house and not enough budget at this time to invest in a seperate surround sound. Althou the review gave the tv five out of five for sound it also said that one of the letdowns is the "BOOMING SPEAKERS".

Could any one please tell me if this is true and at what level does this become a problem. I have been into Comet and tried turning up the sound on the display modle and found no problems but there is a huge difference between the comet showroom and my living room.

Thanks in advance of any help.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Booming speakers? If they mean, it has good bass then yes, they are right! I have never heard the bass distort either. There are no problems at all with sound on mine (I have the KV28LS60), even when the volume is turned up full - it's crystal clear and has a good soundstage.

Note that the LS60 also has BBE as a sound option too (user selectable in the menus) and that provides you with more bass than the Virtual Dolby option (which sacrifices some bass to provide the virtual surround).

In case you haven't come across my review of this set already it's here:
    http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...s.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37326[/url]

If you wouldn't mind, how did the Home Entertainment magazine review rate the other aspects (out of 5)? Also, which issue was it? Thanks :)

3. Sharring

Sharring
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I concur with Squirrel God the sound is very good on this TV (I have the 32" version) Its not as good as a seperate sound system obviously but I have'nt heard any booming at a resonable volume level anyway.

After a false start (my first one was a duffer) I am very pleased with the set, and with most sources the picture is very clean, and you don't notice that your watching a 100Hz TV (which is a good thing).

4. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 28LS60 gets a very good review in the latest What Tv, though they make the comment that the sound isn't loud enough, and that it's a bit tinny. Didn't mention booming..

Like you, I've seen and heard the set in various showroms now, and it seems like a decent set to me, I'm just saving up...

mikef

5. Jasonk

Jasonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have read Squirrel God's review and I have just been a bought this months 'what video & tv' and I have finally decided to buy the LS60. I'd pritty much made up my mind to buy it but just needed a bit of reasurance as this is the most I've ever spent on a TV.

Squirrel God, You wanted to know what other scores the LS60 got in home entertainment magazine and what issue the review was in. It was in the July issue and it scored as follows:

Build quality 4/5
    Connectivity 4/5
    Features 4/5
    Sound 5/5
    Picture 4/5
    Value 3/5
    OVERALL 4/5

Verdict:
    FOR. Virtual Dolby, Decent dialogue, Stable images with good detail

AGAINST. Fiddly user interface, Booming speakers, Expencive

Going out to buy my new widescreen TV tomorrow

Thanks again for everyones help!:)

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the scores. :)

I'd disagree about the fiddly user interface as well - I find it very easy to use :)

Sounds like they mostly agreed with my personal review though - at least no one can say I'm biased now ;) :D

Hope you get a good one! :)