Sony KV28LS60

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Squirrel God, May 20, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just took delivery of one of these at the weekend and thought I would post my findings.

In short, I'm overjoyed with this TV. It is everything I expected I would get having viewed it in store and played about with it.

The picture is amazingly clear, crisp and bright. Colours are rich and vibrant.

Geometry is the best I've seen so far. There is a minor inward bend bottom right and that's about it. I could have a stab at fixing this via the service menu but it's so minor it doesn't bother me at all so I'm not going to do this just yet. The set also seems to have this new technology that Sony have developed which keeps lines straight even during bright pictures. Seems to work a treat!! I have turned the contrast up to full and there is no hint of blooming - impressive IMO. In fact, if anything, on full contrast, the picture is rather too bright (something I have only ever experienced on Philips TVs), so I have turned it down a little.

Focus/convergence is great too. There is a minor problem bottom right, but again this is very minor - I only noticed it when viewing the on-screen programme guide from my Pace DTA. Have not noticed it at all during normal viewing so far.

Although it's a 100Hz TV, it does not have the extraneous digital processing that you get with many 100Hz sets. Thus, there are no artifacts to speak of. The only time you can tell it's a 100Hz set is when horizontal text scrolls by at a fast speed - it is more blurred than on a 50Hz set. Apart from that, the picture is incredibly stable and flicker free.

Sound is excellent and fairly loud for a TV. There's a small sub woofer (14W I think) so there's a fair amount of bass. The BBE effect works well and does indeed improve the clarity of dialogue (as it promises), but I prefer the Virtual Dolby option instead, which does a very good job of providing virtual surround sound (well, as good as you're going to get with this sort of thing). Of course, the sound doesn't compare to separates, but for a TV it's excellent IMO.

The cabinet is gorgeous. Took about 45-60 mins to assemble and feels very solid. There are plastic 'knobs' attached to the base which help it slide - very handy for positioning and when you need to move the TV to get round the back. The parts are of the highest quality I've had so far (compared to Philips and JVC). No crappy plastic (bar the odd screw cover) - a pet hate of mine! There's also a nice glass shelf in the middle and lovely curved glass doors.

Even though the set is only a 28", it was IMMENSIVELY difficult lifting it onto the stand. The TV weighs about 50kg and it's VERY slippery and heavy at the front (more so than any other TV I've lifted). Eventually, I got it on however - but not without a bit of help from someone else!

The remote is very nice and responsive. It also works well with other brands of video/DVD, but the controls are limited here (e.g. you can't move around the DVD menus).

There are no scrolling bars either. I have checked all inputs rigorously for this, except the analogue TV tuner (as I use my Pace DTA for TV). However, from what I have seen of the analogue TV tuner, I have not noticed any scrolling bars (I didn't notice them in the shop either).

There are 3 scarts in all, 2 are RGB and one is S-Video/composite. Amazingly, you can adjust EVERYTHING on RGB input, including colour (!), sharpness, contrast, brightness etc. However, I have noticed that some of these options are dimmed out when the RGB input is actually playing. Therefore, to get around this, I have switched to a composite channel or the analogue tuner, made the adjustments and then switched back.

The S-Video scart can be set to output the input from one of the other scarts (or whatever is showing on the TV) making it easy to use as a loopthrough. I found this very useful because it enables me to plug my Pace box into one of the RGB scarts and then simply send this to the VCR if I want to record anything. The only downside is that the TV has to be on during recording.

There is a rotation function in the standard menu (heaven!) and also an RGB shift adjustment (heaven!). The really great thing is that the RGB shift adjustment is specific to each of the two scarts, i.e. you can set different shift adjustments for each Scart - top design!

If any problems arise, I will post here.

Cheers :)

2. Neil53

Neil53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I correct that you can't select a 50Hz mode on this set?

On the two FQ75s I briefly owned, switching to a 50Hz mode was a must. Horizintally scrollling credits were totally unreadable and football was a blur at 100Hz. Of course the sets went back due to the other well documented problems.

I could never bring myself to buy another 100Hz Sony unless I was able to switch to 50 Hz. Told by John Lewis however that this set doesn't offer that facility. Right?

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right - you can't switch to 50Hz.

Doesn't need it in my opinion. I don't care about reading horizontal credits and football is not a problem from what I've seen - the real test will be the World Cup though! :D

I would hazard a guess that football was a blur for you due to the DRC and other features (and/or poor quality footage from the broadcasters, particularly over-compressed digital signals), not because of the 100Hz per se. The LS60 doesn' t have these features so they're not a problem. Go and have a look at some footie on the LS60 and you'll see what a mean.

4. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    how much ?
    where from ?

etc

Probably will go for JL myself

gareth

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. jubbleys

jubbleys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sound from the speakers is excellent, however the set makes avery loud electrical buzz from the top and the sides and can be heard during use. Sony don't know about this ???? although i have complained. Picture is excellent. In two minds to replace it due to this problem as during quieter parts of programmes all you can hear is buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. can other please check there sets and respond

thanks

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No loud buzz on mine.

There is of course the very feint buzz of the power supply and tube, but this can't be heard during operation unless I put my ears to the back of the TV. This buzz is entirely normal and you get it with all brands and models.

Yours sounds so loud that I would suggest you get a replacement.

8. jubbleys

jubbleys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for looking and listening

kevin

9. Prav

Prav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi everyone,

I've just bought this model and am very impressed too (thanks Squirrel God et al for recommendations).

There's just one problem I've found. When there's a panning shot (any kind) I see the picture seems to bend 'inwards' (as though the screen is bending towards the back of the TV - imagine looking at it from inside a plastic coke bottle). Is that normal? It's not off-putting but it does seem a bit strange.

I hope my description makes sense!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Prav

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prav,

Does this only happen in SMART mode? If so, this is normal. SMART mode stretches the picture to make it fill the screen, so panning shots will end up looking that way. It's one of many side effects of watching 4:3 images on a 16:9 set in this way.

11. Prav

Prav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Actually, it does only happen in Smart mode - ah well - I guess I can live with that. Thanks for putting my mind at ease!