1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV28LS60 with computer

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Greamec, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all ,as you can see this is my first post in the AV forum, I wish I had discovered this forum before I bought my first 100hz tele which was furguson wf70401g. The wavey lines down each side of the picture were just to much to put up with so it is going back where it came from. I noticed it was particularly bad when I ran my video feed from the home computer (coaxial with RCA connector from the graphics card), the picture was very bad with black wavey lines runing down each side of the picture.
    So now I am in the market for a new television and have a number of questions I hope you can help me with.

1. Should I go for a 100hz is it really worth it?
    2. Has anyone got their computer linked up to a Sony KV28LS60 (this tele looks like the one for me).
    3. Before I buy are there any other strong recomendations in the 28" or 32" widescreen market.
    4. Is the Sony KV28LS60 best in it class.

Thanks in advance
    Greame:D

2. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Welcome to the forums :)

If you take a look through these forums, in particular this one, you will find little if any threads discussing 'how bad the 28LS60 is'...

The set is certainly in the top five list of 28" widescreens, along with the Toshiba 28ZD26, the Panasonic TX28PL1 (Awesome visuals/poor audio so ideal for an external amp etc..) and the Philips 28PW6506C...

However, in my opinion the Sony stands out from them all, the images really are something special.

Vibrant, solid colours (no bleeding), true blacks, zero flicker (especially on-screen logo's 100hz), almost non-existent grain, no generic geometry problems, great contrast and brightness etc...

Not much more praise I can give it really :D

EDIT

Oh, and as you probably know, the picture on your TV can only be as good as the quality of the TV-out feed from your graphics card.

Still saving for mine though :(

3. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply rupbert, I think I will go for the Sony KV28LS60 and risk the computer playback being ok for my divx films .I think my problem is I bought a duffer first time round.
    The computer playback on my old tele which was not widescreen or 100hrz was fine so I would hope it will be ok on the LS60.

Regards Greame:p

4. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Make sure you search around for a good price too, empiredirect is a good place to start :)

5. MaxRelax

MaxRelax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I own a Sony KV28LS60 and watch DivX movies with no problem.

I use a Geforce 4, S-video output, and 2 phono output from my sound card.

It's difficult to tell the difference between this and dvd.

Only issue might be that there is still letter boxing on all the movies, this maybe more to do with the movie and/or video output rather than the tv.

The 100hz is not an issue.

Hope this helps!

;)

6. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, MaxRelax
    I to use an S-Video from my Geforce 4 and agree the picture is great especially the Divx movies. One thing I did notice though when I pluged the S-Video into my Sony KV28LS60 the conector does not seem to go in far enough and does not fit as snuggly as it does into my graphics card but I have a picture so I supose its ok. Did you notice this MaxRelax?
    And one more thing that you may know about but I just found it is a great bit of software for all geforce cards that have tvchips on them ,it is a thing called TV Tool. It gives you instant tvout with improved control over you TV output it is a must have you will not regret installing it.
    Would like some one to get back to me about the s-video conector on the TV is it normal that the conector fits this way, also is there someone out their who can give me a code for my sony remote so that I can operate my XBOX with it, sony and microsoft say they can not help/ can not be bothered.

anyway goodbye for now
    Greame:hiya:

7. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for imformation I have found the code for the XBOX for use with the Sony remote control and it is '005'.

Regards Greame:smoke:

8. MaxRelax

MaxRelax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Greame

In regards to your connector question, mine fits well, into the tv, but not as snuggly as into the graphics card. I don't think it's an issue.

I have a question for you, when you watch divx movies, how do they appear on the tv? None of my divx movies appear fullscreen, the best picture i can get is using the "smart" option, but i still get letter boxing, even on the sides however it's not that noticable. Some movies I can watch on "zoom", to futher reduce letter boxing, but it's still there.(letter boxing=black bars)

I'm guessing it's the widescreen format of the movies, any ideas?

This is a site you might find useful, if you don't know of it already:
    www.fasttrackmovies.com

Max
    :confused:

9. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Max, I have solved my cable problem buy getting a better quality cable which fits nice and snug..
    With regards to the divx films you will always have the bars because that is how they are made. One thing I have discovered is a thing called TV Tool which is for Nvidia graphics card range. It gives you so much more control over your TV output and audio output, it is a must have and the chap who made it deserves his £7.00 registration fee. One feature that I like is that it allows you to send an overscaned signal 5% bigger than the normal which really improves playback.
    Since I got my sony 28" LS60 most divx films are just like DVDs.
    One more thing , I used to use a composite cable but now I have switched to S-video the quality differance is amazing.
    Hope that helps
    Greame:smoke: