sony kv28ls60 and NTSC disks

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mat, Oct 16, 2002.

1. mat

mat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a sony 28ls60, tosh sd100e dvd, sqart rgb cable to rgb input. Options for dvd ouput are set to auto (options are Pal or auto). Tosh is chipped to play multi region.

On playback of ntsc disks when the picture is dark I get a thin white line on the top of the screen running from the centre to about 2/3 across. The line goes if the picture is bright! Altering picture settings makes no difference.
    All ok with Pal disks (amazing picture), worked ok with my old tosh tv with same setup.

Any ideas?

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the other RGB scart on the TV and see if that helps.

If not, might be correctable via the geometry settings in the service menu - best to call an engineer out for this because if it's not correctable, he can write a status report there and then and get a replacement organised immediately (assuming it's still within the 28 days) :)

Finally, as a very long shot, is Macrovision disabled on your player? (I don't think it's that, but you never know).

3. mat

mat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Squirrel God for your reply

I have tried the other rgb input plus other cables, still no joy! Macrovision has been disabled but like you I don't think this is the problem. I am reluctant to call out an engineer (not had good experiences - a lot of hassle in past!) and as I only have a few NTSC disks and Pal picture is great I may stick with it. Just limits my buying options.
    In your experience do you think it is the ls60 or the tosh player? My last television was not a widescreen so may not have shown this up. I am not able to connect another player or widescreen to test.

Cheers

4. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    mat, I've got an LS60 and a Multiregion Tosh 220 and don't experience these problems.

I'd get onto that engineer if I was you

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is hard to say but is looking like it's the TV. Doesn't anyone else you know have a widescreen TV? Or a friend of a friend? It's worth being sure which is the component at fault.

Incidentally, the line would disappear if the picture was bright because the contrast within the image would cause the image to expand. That's why you can't see it - which means a quick geometry fix might cure it. You could always go into the service menu yourself and shift the picture up a couple of notches........

I wonder also if this only happens with anamorphic NTSC DVDs or with both anamorphic and non-anamorphic?

Anyway, I have an LS60 and don't have what you describe. No way I'd put up with it if it did mate!

6. mat

mat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Squirrel God

I am tending to agree having spent that much money that I should not put up with it.

On consideration with a terrestrial widescreen picture, the band across the top is just slightly deeper that the one at the bottom - which fits in with your recommendation. A bit cheeky this but do you know how to get into the service menu or is there a link to a thread ?

Cheers

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.kv32tweak.freeuk.com/

Click on Service Menu at the top for a fuller description, but basically

Turn the set on with the televisions on/off switch.
    Turn the set off from the remote control.
    Press the [I +] button.
    Press the [5] button.
    Press the [Vol +] button.
    Press the [TV] button.

When the TV comes on, press the MENU button on the remote and you'll get a list of options, one of which is for geometry (I'm at work at the moment, so I'm afraid I can't remember the exact menu options).

As usual, proceed with extreme caution and make a note of all the settings before changing them. ;)

8. mat

mat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squirrel God you're a star

upped the horizontal position by 2 notches and all is fine!

Many thanks for your help (i owe you a beer!)

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad that sorted it :D