1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV28FX68 Problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Moyesyside, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Moyesyside

Moyesyside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At 11 o'clock today Comet picked up my Sony KV28FX68. I have had a problem with the set since I bought it in July 2004 and have somewhat lazily put up with it. But with the warranty about to run out I had to get things looked at and reported it with Comet.

The problem is as follows:-

When watching both DVD'S and my Telewest set-top (both connected to the 2 RGB scart sockets) a very obvious flicker appears during scenes. This flicker is most obvious during brighter scenes (such as cutting from studio to an outdoor shot / a slow panning of a desert scene during a film). When the flicker is most obvious it can appear all over the screen in a sporadic and inconsistent way. It mainly appears in horizontal lines of 3 to 4 inches but as I have said it is quite sporadic and not easy to predict.

Aswell as the obvious occurrences it appears during in-studio brighter shots aswell such as Sky Sports News (where a line appears at the level of the presenters faces). In general it is a hard problem to explain because it happens, as I have said, inconsistently.

Comet required 2 separate engineer visits before deciding that the machine requires the workshop and both admitted they had not come across it before.

I have changed DVD players/set top boxes and purchased top quality scart leads and nothing has changed.

CAN I ASK FOR ANY ADVICE AS TO WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG? HAS ANYONE COME ACROSS THIS BEFORE WITH A SONY OR PARTICULARLY WITH THIS MODEL? IS IT SOMETHING THAT THEY WILL BE ABLE TO FIX AS I WANT TO KEEP MY SONY?

I AM AFRAID THAT THEY WILL SAY THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT OR THAT A REPLACEMENT WILL CARRY THE SAME PROBLEM.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED.

THANKS.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Any DECT phones nearby by any chance?

I have a 32" version of this set and experienced a similar problem until I moved our DECT phone base station.
    I also posted a similar reply to another forum member with this problem and a DECT phone seemed to be cause in that case too.

It may not be the problem, but if you do have any other radio transmitting devices nearby then move them and see what happens.
    I just think these sets are not very good at supressing radio interference.

3. Moyesyside

Moyesyside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. :)

The engineer also suggested that but I don't have any radio transmitting equipment near the TV. The only thing next to my TV is my Sony subwoofer (part of my home cinema set up) and the engineer basically ruled that out as a possibility.

4. Moyesyside

Moyesyside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've still heard nothing from Comet. Anyone any ideas?