SONY KV28FX68...Picture Dipping

S

sony_tv

can someone please help me with my sony tv (KV28FX68...100Hz). i have switched it on, started watching and realised that the top left corner of the picture is dipping. seems like there is 3-5mm of the picture not there. when i watched a dvd it was the same. is there a way i can adjust the picture so that it covers the full screen? is there some special function on the remote that i can use to have a full picture again.
any help will be appreciated. :lease:

you could try using the different picture ratio button which is located on the blue button of fast text.

i dont understand what you are saying though, do you mean that the tv is not displaying pixels on the top left of your screen? if so then changing the size of image wont make a difference. is it in warranty?

does it look as if the picture is bending in the corner (straight lines dipping)?
sounds like a geometry issue to me, I had the same problem with my first fx68 (along with a few other issues).
The replacement was much better.

I however would also be interested in geometry fixes for this set as there is another small tweak I'd like to make.

thanks for your replies.
no, the tv is no longer in warranty (it's 2 years old).
moving between Zoom, Smart, 4x3, etc. does not fix the problem.

there are some pixels missing at the top left corner (and below the top left corner). sometimes there is also a red line at the top left corner of the screen. this may be a geometry issue. is there any way i can fix this? is there a service feature for the tv (accessed via the remote control) to have a correct the picture.

any help will be appreciated (its driving me nuts!)

sony_tv said:
thanks for your replies.
no, the tv is no longer in warranty (it's 2 years old).
moving between Zoom, Smart, 4x3, etc. does not fix the problem.

there are some pixels missing at the top left corner (and below the top left corner). sometimes there is also a red line at the top left corner of the screen. this may be a geometry issue. is there any way i can fix this? is there a service feature for the tv (accessed via the remote control) to have a correct the picture.

any help will be appreciated (its driving me nuts!)

If you can post a picture of your tv so that we all can see what you`re exactly talking about would be great.

Maybe your picture is bending downward on the left side of the screen. If this is your case (try to look the down left corner) you can fix it by adjusting "picture rotation" in "Detail Set Up" menu. Use some positive value.

Otherwise you have to go in the service menu and try to adjust a few geometry parameters, but before you have to identify (using some test pattern card) what kind of geometry issue your tv has.

ps: As far as I remember this tv was launched early spring last year....so it couldn`t be 2 years old.

The TV model is Sony KV28FX65 (100Hz). That is not KV28FX68. (my mistake). :oops:

See attachment for details on what the screen looks like (dipping at left top corner).
There are 4 images:
1) Showing a "full" 16:9 picture
2) Showing a "full" 16:9 picture and random line that appears at top left
3) Showing a "letterbox" picture (picture dipping from top right to left).
4) Showing a 4:3 picture (the picture is not centered).

Think this may be just the rotation and geometry setting. However, I do not know how to access the function on the remote for the Sony KV28FX65 model.

Attachments

• Sony KV-28FX65.zip
    23.1 KB · Views: 80
Here`s a link that can help you a lot:
http://www.kv32tweak.freeuk.com/

I`m curious about something: these faults were there from the beginning or appeard gradually in time?

A few tips(from service menu):
1) with 'V SIZE', 'V POSITION' try to adjust (not too much) the vertical size of the screen just to see if the bottom has the same inclination as the upper side. If so try to adjust 'H Trap' so that the horizontal lines become parallel.
2) revert to the original values for 'V SIZE' and/or 'V POSITION'
3) do the same thing as in step (1) with 'H SIZE', 'H POSITION' and adjust 'Trapezium' and/or 'AFC Angle' if it`s necessary.
4) revert to the original values for 'H SIZE' and/or 'H POSITION'
5) use 'H POSITION' to center the screen horizontally and 'V POSITION' to center it vertically
6) use 'H SIZE' to stretch image so you can get rid of the "black pixels" from the left upper side (before this step you should have those black pixels on the entire left side of the screen or not having it at all - since the vertical lines are parallel)
7) use 'V SIZE' to stretch the image vertically so you can get rid of the that "mark" in the top left corner
8) to leave service menu use 00 from the main screen (TT--)

Be carefull! Do not adjust "too much"( don`t try to see how small/large the image can be!!)...just a few points. To be as accurate as possible use some pattern card to see how the adjustments affect the overall geometry.

thanks for that. i moved house and since unpacking ans using the tv it has been like that.

just some more questions:
How to acccess the Service menu for KV28FX65. the web site only shows for KV-32FX60 and On a KV-28FX60. Or shall i try both and see which one works for KV28FX65?

what is the best way to get a pattern card? do you perhaps have one (*.jpg file that i can use).

reading the service menu, there is no H Trap (as per your previous reply). there is only 12. Trapezium [Vertical Trapezium]. Think I need a Horizontal Trapezium adjustment.

found the H Trap. does it make a difference that i shipped the tv from uk to austalia. is this why the geometry is not correct? (uk and aust both use PAL and is on same power ratings 220-240 Volts and 50 Hz).

A set of pattern cards you can download from this link:
http://www.borndevil.altervista.org/files/SVCD_Test_Patterns.rar (right click->save as...)
unpack and burn them with nero. You`ll need a svcd player to play it.
Just FYI, not all of these cards are accurate.

To get into service menu just try [5] [vol+] [TV] with your tv in standby and if it not work try the other method.

It may have to do w/ your moving from UK to Aus (different influence/levels of terrestrial magnetism), but I can`t be sure. I don`t think it has something to do with power ratings or PAL norm. If this tv has some picture rotation adjustmens (in user menu) try to fix the 'horizontal trapezium' and see if it is enough. Otherwise H TRAP is what you need.

i managed to get into the service menu. i have not changed any settings as yet. looking at my tv screen, it seems like only the top horizontal slopes down (see the images i attached previously). is there a setting to adjust just this?

i had a look at the test pattens (http://www.borndevil.altervista.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64/#)
can you please let me know which ones are not accurate so that I do not bother using them.
do you know if my soney dvd player (DAV-S800) is a svcd?

sony_tv said:
i managed to get into the service menu. i have not changed any settings as yet. looking at my tv screen, it seems like only the top horizontal slopes down (see the images i attached previously). is there a setting to adjust just this?

i had a look at the test pattens (http://www.borndevil.altervista.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64/#)
can you please let me know which ones are not accurate so that I do not bother using them.
do you know if my soney dvd player (DAV-S800) is a svcd?

I don`t know if there is a setting to adjust just the upper horizontal lines. I think that all the adjustments are "symmetrical", BUT a slight adjustment can make it less visible. You should give it a shot and see if it works. If you`ll find it impossible to adjust the upper lines without significantly affecting the lower lines, you`ll need a qualified technician.

Not accurate for colour and convergence calibration, but for geometry are ok. I don`t know if dav-s800 plays svcd, but you can check the user guide or just put the disc into and see if it works.

thanks, i made the adjustments. seems ok and is much better than before. thanks for all your help and patience!
good on you!

hello,

i have moved home again and seems like my tv has another viewing problem.
the bottom of the screen has a bow upward.

i have the service manual and know how to enter the service menu. can someone please tell me what setting i need toi change to fix this upwards bow (it is only at the bottom part and to the top of the screen.).

cheers
:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom