1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY KV28FX68...100Hz... help!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mosche, Jun 23, 2004.

1. mosche

mosche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    I'm new to these forums so please excuse me if this has been covered before but I'm looking for some advice.
    I bought a SONY KV28FX68 television a couple of months ago and love the quality of the picture..EXCEPT..the 100Hz effect produces a slight shudder on pictures that pan across the screen..and its driving me mad!
    It seems even more pronounced when watching an NTSC dvd so I've got to change it.
    I'm trying to find a SONY set that has a smilar spec but with 50HZ. I haven't had any luck as most sets at this level and size seem to not offer NTSC playback. Can anyone help me with advice ?

2. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    quick question before you change it :offtopic: does your set buzz? (listen closely to the rear left hand side)

3. mosche

mosche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    nope...can't hear any buzzing from it. My mate's got the 32 inch model of this set and its the same effect. Its just that damn 100hz!!

4. Dougster

Dougster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about the NTSC DVD issue you mention (are you sure its not the DVD player?) but I think that Sony's DRC models have 50Hz option in the menu, and tend to be quite high-end in terms of spec. Having said that, I've recently seen the DX51 model which is 50Hz only, a real stunner to look at and a lot cheaper than DX200 so I'd say you have a couple of options there.

6. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTSC playback is virtually a standard feature on tv's these days.

It may not be stated on the specifications quoted on most dealers websites, but it can almost be taken for granted that most sets will have no problems with NTSC playback.

If you see a set you like, but aren't confident it will play NTSC, just post the tv make and model number on this forum and I'm sure someone who owns it will put your mind at ease and confirm that it's NTSC compatible. :smoke:

7. mosche

mosche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the advice folks.
    Sony are apparently releasing a set in July that seems to be the same spec as the Kv-28FX68 but with 50Hz. I'm going to probabaly go for that one. I'm sick about all this and am going to lose money in the end. I can't believe that the 100hz thing doesn't bother more people. I find this 'blurring' effect almost unwatchable.

8. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the set Sony are releaseing to replace the 28FX68 its not that one that has just been released with the horrible cured vertical edges and black trim?

best 28 black trin sony at the moment is the 28DX200

9. Catch22

Catch22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I ain't getting that problem with mine, I've had the set three weeks now. I'm tending to think it is a fault relating to your set, as against an inherent flaw in the model. If it was indeed a flaw in the model, how come none of the professional reviewers have not picked up on it.

Whilst it is still under warranty I get Sony back to it. try finding somebody near you who has the same model, and go see theirs in action, and take a DVD with you. That way if the engineer trys to fob you off, you know where your coming from.

Tony [West /North Yorks border]

10. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

I have had the same problem on every 100hrz set I have purchased. It is more noticabel to some people than others, just like some people have an eye for a flickering picture.
    Also you dont actually expect an honest review from the magazines do you? You only have to look at the forums and the amout of problems there are with all things A.V to know that a review from the magazines may not be strictly the truth :laugh: :laugh:

11. Catch22

Catch22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    point taken, and I have no reason to doubt you.

Yes I do, as otherwise the reviewer would lose their credability. Like I take your statements as truthful, I take reviewers judgements to be a reasonable report on their testing of the product in question. Why ? because both you and the reviewer have no vested interest in lieing. Now don't get me wrong, I ain't the trusting sort, been around to long for that.

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Ok.
    I am not saying that all magazine reviews are rubbish, far from it. Gonig from personal experince though it would seem to me that a lot of things are left out of them.
    I recently bought a panasonic tx36pd30. The review I read said that it was probaly the best C.R.T on the market. However it suffered from the dirty screen effect(a problem that never seems to be mentioned in reviews and yet effects a hell of a lot of 100hrz t.vs). On a pure white source from a test disc(digital video essentials) It looked yellow on one side of the screen and pink on the other. It had problems whith R.G.B prossesing. The actuall picture suffered from an overall green cast tinge. This was not an Isolated incident. There is a whole thread on these very forums about the problems with this T.V,and yet acording to the reviews it is a great tv. Even the people that are happy with this T.V have still reported problems!.
    I started a thread about magazine reviews on this forum. Scan my previous posts and you will find a couple af replies that explain in more detail.

Unfortunatly one of the draw backs of 100hrz proccesing is it does create a slight judder on camera pans.
    I have owend a sony kv36fs76u and the judder was always more noticable on slower camera movements and on things like the simpsons.
    I could also see it on the thoshiba picture frame tv I had and still get it on my new Loewe Nemos 32. The nemos is no ware near as prominate though and apart from the odd shuder it not very noticable at all. I think, and I am not 100 percent sure on this!,that the way round the problem id to by a tv and dvd player that are progresive scan capable. This will as far as I know still give a flicker free image and reduce the amount of on screen jerkieness with movement. :thumbsup:

13. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Any info on that 50hz Sony with a similar spec to the FX68?
    Can't find anything in the 2004 range. The DX51 is the highest spec 50hz.

14. meinbrain

meinbrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i just got the 28fx68 yesterday. slight buzzing if u stick u're head real close to the back.

NEway iwas watching bad boys 2 and in the scene just b4 the intersection jshootout, i thought the 100Hz was dreadful. (the girl drives the black truck across the screen-it bloody juddered like hell!!!)

cud someone tell me if they see it as well. cud it be a faulty tv like someone said below or is it the 100Hz.

TBH u'd have to be blind not to notice it.

Its one damn nice looking TV and i dunno if i wanna change it or not (can i get a refund just coz i dont like the 100Hz????). havent seen ne footy on it. any other tester DVDs i shud try out for the 100HZ???

cheers