1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV28FX66 ex-demo at Robert Whyte

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mister_d, Apr 16, 2003.

1. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I probably shouldn't even be contemplating buying one of these given my comical financial situation, but I'm desperate to replace my 21" 4:3 mono Toshiba goldfish bowl etc. TV, and this, despite being well beyond my arbitrarily-set £300 budget, seems a bargain.

I've already read numerous threads on Robert Whyte and while some people claim to have had no problems, many people seem to hate them passionately. However, most of these comments seem to pertain to their graded TVs - has anyone got any direct experience of their demo stock? I'm not looking for perfection (and realise I'm certainly not going to get it at that price), a few superficial scratches here and there don't really bother me, but I obviously wouldn't be too happy if it had more serious problems, particularly if obtaining a replacement were to prove challenging.

Although I should probably ask these questions elsewhere, I do have a couple of queries about the TV itself. Firstly, is it worth the extra £30 for the FQ75 (which I believe is the model that suffers the infamous 'scrolling bars' problem)? As far as I can tell the FX66 is a more recent model and has two RGB-enabled Scart, which would definitely be useful, and since I had been planning to buy an entry-level 28" until now I'm not too bothered about advanced features I'll probably never used, I just want it to look good.

Secondly, being a 100Hz TV (again, I haven't really looked into this as I'd always assumed 100Hz models to be way beyond my budget), does it support PAL60/manual forcing to 50Hz mode? The former is almost essential as I'm going to attach some consoles to it, and the latter would be desirable as a backup in case something in particular just doesn't get on well with 100Hz.

Apologies for the length of this post, and thanks for any answers that anyone can provide.

2. ste1010

ste1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My 32FX66 which is due to be picked up and be replaced for something non Sony does not support 50Hz, just 100Hz.

Both of the sets I have had buzz like mad, suffer from poor picture on Sky Digital especially football.

It looks nice, but that is about it apart from a good picture on DVD. Not enough to warrant keeping it

3. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply. If there's one thing I really can't stand it's loud buzzing - my Toshiba suffers from this quite badly (particularly when displaying in 60Hz), which is one of the main reasons why I'm so keen to replace it. DVD playback quality is admittedly my priority, but the disadvantages combined with the risk associated with it being ex-demo more than offset image quality benefits.

I'm still interested in the FQ75 though, so any comments about ex-demo sets at Robert Whyte would still be appreciated.