1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY KV28FX65U Minor Niggle!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bugfinder, Dec 18, 2001.

1. bugfinder

bugfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought the SONY KV28FX65U and was completely blown away by the stunning pictures.
    However, 3 films later I have picked up on a minor niggle - I know I am being very fussy, but can anyone give me an explanation or at least agree with me!

The niggle:
    It can only be seen when the background is very light - blue sky/white backgound etc, and is more noticeable if the camera is panning. Basically, the very left and right side of the screen (about 1.5 inches) looks slightly 'grubby' - bluish on the left and greenish on the right. I must stress that this is not noticeable 98% of the time, ONLY if the picture is very light/white and perhaps more so if camera pans.
    At first I thought the screen needed a wipe but after cleaning it is still there. I checked with a completely white screen and it actually looks like an oval ring so I suspect it has something to do witht the way the image is rendered on the flat screen by the tube.

I went into my local SONY store this morning and the manager let me test the same model in store - I checked it against the white background on the Matrix DVD (ch12) and I noticed the same - of course, the manager could not see what I was on about!!!
    I also noticed it on the model up - the 28"FQ.

So, please... this is a minor niggle, but any comments would be appreciated - especially 'stop being so petty and just watch the movie' type comments!!!!

Cheers!

2. Berisford

Berisford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I just love the way these people cannot 'see' the problem!

In the 80's I was told by a person in the know that BMW directed it's dealers to adopt a united front and never admit to a customer that there may be a design or build quality fault in any of their products.

Not, it seems, unlike the way Sony dealers and representatives carry on today when it comes to faults / problems on their very pricey Vega sets.

The difference between Sony today and BMW in the 80's is that BMW dealers were told (and did) to quietly put things right with the customer!

AK

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    see my thread above.......sony claim the discolouration is due to earths magnetic fields

my tv which has geometry problems and colour probs is only 2 months old..

I got it from Dixons who have their own service dept...they've looked at it and improved things slightly but probs are still there.

If i ring Sony should they fix or replace the set?

4. bugfinder

bugfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should get the set replaced - though if it's a generic problem that might not do much good. If you go through Sony, chances are they'll take it away under warranty and you won't see for 2 months! (This also has to be the worst time of year)!!

I would let your retailer handle it - they should replace or refund if you've had problems from the word go.

On my set the geometry is excellent - you can also adjust it if it gets pulled out, though I'm not sure how useful this feature is as I've not had to use it.

It's a bit disappointing to get these problems from Sony TVs. After all, they charge a hefty premium for their sets and so you'd expect them to be spot on.