sony kv28fq75u the saga cotinues

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Roy B, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Roy B

Roy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys from the sony centre came this morning to look at my set.showed them the red+green tinge down the left hand side and also the scrolling bars on dvd playback,so they swapped it over right away.all turned on + tuned in and surpise surpise exactly same problems in exactly the same places.sony guy said he had seen discouloration before but not the scrollong bars.after i said im not paying £1245 for a faulty tv they said they eould come back next saturday to pick it up and give me full refund which im releived about.wot do i do next this is the 7th widescreen tv ive had and returned in 7 months for various reasons.im beginning to think ill never get a set that works ok,or should i start checking wiring and stuff in my house?

2. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

So it is now certain that the scrolling bar problem is not because of a bad batch coming from the factory. Owners of FQ set having the same problem from all over UK and this goes way back to early 2001.

But Sony is still keeping silent! Have you tried contacting Sony direct (S0ny centres are franchise and independent from Sony UK, I was told) with the problem. I had but without success. Basically, they just don't give a damn to customers, retailers and even authorised service engineers.

Just wonder what happened to all the returned sets????

You seemed to have broken the record - 7 sets in 7 months !! Are they all Sony sets ?? I am returning mine and thinking of getting something else (Do't think much of SOny now).

ANy suggestions what I should avoid from your bad experience ???

3. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read on another site that someone final got an answer to what causes the scrolling bars.
    Apparently it is because of poor insulation at the scart connectors in the back of the TV. I have heard there is a fix (get access the the connectors and insulate them better) but don't know exactly how it is acheived.

Might be worth mentioning this to a Sony engineer.

4. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave

Heard that before. The engineer who came to look at my set did say that was what Sony Technical suggested and his team has tried that and it did not cure the problem. Since then, Sony Tech people has gone silent and did not come up with another solution.

It seems that Sony Tech have left us, the owners to find a cure for their problem !!!!!

5. Roy B

Roy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well 3 of the sets were sony ,1 was wharfedale,then phillips.then bush,then sharp.all returned for various reasons.the cheaper sets wharfdale + bush had exellent pictures but they both started making loud buzzing noises.i might go for hitachi next if i can stand the stress of buying another tv.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stress of buying a TV is about right! 3 Sony's down the line, and a JVC about to be delivered on Wednesday, and when the lady on the phone asked me if I'd like the delivery man to take away my old TV - an 8 year old 4:3 Sony Trinitron which compared to recent debacles is superb - I said a very definite NO. It is staying in my spare room for at least a year in case something goes wrong with the new widescreen one - again. All this because the old TV is black, and the new DVD recorder and Sky box are silver - might be easier to get out a paintbrush and paint the old one silver! :)

Carol

7. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have an old Sony Trinitron too - 17 year old !! The only thing went wrong was the power button which I replaced for a fiver. Other than that the picture is as clear as any other new telly. (Touch wood) Even the battery on the remote control is original - yes 17 year old and still going (used everday) !!! Beat that !

Why can't Sony made TVs like that anymore ??? Is it because the old ones are made in Japan instead of in Europe??Or is it a marketing tactic to reduce life of machines so that more can be sold ???

I have yet to decide a replacement made when my SOny goes back for a refund. Very stressful. Spending a lot time reading reviews and going to shops. Getting tired and confused :confused: . Who say spending money is easy !!!!

8. NigelC

NigelC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thought i'd do some research as my 18yr old Trinitron is on it's way out. Have been looking at Sony 28FX65U or 28FQ75 or should I consider the new 28DX40 to future proof for the next 18yrs!!

I must say I cannot fault the performance of my KV2092 except for a couple of power switches during it's lifetime.

I am disappointed to see all the quality related issues out there. Looking at these, I agree that Sony should be hauled up in front of Watchdog if no suitable result comes from Wednesday,s visit to Heathrow. This appears too widespread and has gone on for too long.

BTW, any recommendations in the £900-£1300 price range (28") that gives good performance and is trouble free? I am getting fed up with trawling round retailers who have all their demo's set up incorrectly and poor signal sources.

NigelC

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is so sad, that Sony's previous excellent record has been pulled down by recent happenings concerning its' FX and FQ range of televisions. I am not a Sony-hater by any means - quite the contrary. I have a Sony mobile phone, a Sony digicam, Sony video recorder and would have had the Sony Sky digibox too were it not for the fact that I'd just got a Pansonic one when Sony launched theirs! Up until now I have always trusted Sony to be high quality and trouble free. I sincerely hope that they come clean over this problem with the televisions and do something about restoring their good name again. I'd happily give them another chance if only they would speak up.

10. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nigel

Digital broadcast is still in its infancy. My understanding is that currrent digital unit intergrated in the set like the one you have mentioned will go out of date not too long. Some broadcasts (Sky??) are now going out in Dolby Digital and other 5.1 or higher formats in time. IMHO a stand alone digital box is a better bet.

Good luck and hope you don't get stressed up like us with Sony and Tosh sets.

11. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Last week I have emailed at Sony (this is a general complaint address I think) at

[email protected]

and after 3 reminders I got a response ("don't call us we will call" reply) which is just a waste of time. I have asked them to have a look at this forum to see how happy Sony owners are with their tellies. Have asked for names and more specific address but as usual they went silent on this.

Thank you for your recent email. I apologise for the delay in my reply.

This is to acknowledge your email. We are looking into this further and as soon as we have any feedback we will contact you via email.

Unquote

Will keep everyone posted if I do get any further