1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV21LS30 power button

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rob100, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I have a Sony KV21LS30 TV whish I bought last year. Over the last few months the silver coating has started to wear off the power button. This is very disapointing considering how little the set is used. I'm an idiot for not contacting Sony before the warranty expired, but anyway....

I've been in touch with Sony and due to the TV being just out of warranty they are prepared to see "what they can do to help" as a gesture of good will, but first they want an authorised service centre to do a written report. Everyone wants to charge me to do this (£38 + VAT) which could leave me out of pocket if Sony won't help. Besides this it's a lot of hassle taking the TV somewhere and this put the TV at yet more risk of damage when in the car.

All I REALLY wanted was a new button. I am quite capable of changing this and am totally prepared to do this at my own risk (to both the TV and to myself). I'm sure Sony make millions of these things and they cost pence to make, but due to liability they can't just "pop one in the post" to me. Does anyone have any idea where I can buy one from? I've tried a couple of local service centres (to see if they will just obtain and sell me the part), but they are not interested in helping. Either because they want the job or through fears that I fry myself in the process!

Why does something so simple become so difficult. It's just another example of the world going mad in my opinion. Does anyone have any idea, if so I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Rob.

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I wouldn't waste your time and energy following this up with Sony. The Power button is very straightforward to replace. The same thing had happened with my Sony, with the paint wearing off the button. I ordered the part off them (about £2.50) amongst a couple of other cosmetic parts, including a brand spanking new remote.

Replacing the button on my Sony only required removing the back/underneath casing (all one part) which gave access to the power button which unclipped from the inside, just below the screen. Couldn't have been more straightforward.

Please bear in mind the tv carries some high voltages, even when powered off. I used the end of a wooden spoon to remove the button, so I didn't come too close to anything that could give a shock.

If you're really not comfortable doing the job yourself, buy the power button and then take the set to any cheap tv repair shop who would fit in 5 minutes for just a few quid.

Sorry, didn't read your full post before replying. Ring Sony again about ordering the part. Obtain the number for Sony spares rather than ringing the general helpline (tried to find it for you, but no luck). The parts are held in belgium and arrive within a week.

Hope this helps.

3. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Ahh, that's brilliant. Just what I wanted in the first place! I am happy and confident about doing the job myself. If you do manage to find a number for the spares dept that would be great. I'll post back how I get on....

Rob.

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    020 8283 2700 or 0870 0433930

5. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: