1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony kv-36hq100

Discussion in 'TVs' started by markeynon, Jan 3, 2005.

1. markeynon

markeynon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anybody had problems with lip sync?
    mostly noticed when watching music dvd`s through av amp,sound is fine when listening through tv on its own! :lease:

2. deanop

deanop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yes I did have one of these but I am afraid I had to take it back for two reasons
    1. The lip synch issue. the picture is delayed by 200ms so it will never be in synch through an amp
    2. Artifacts and ghosting was very bad
    The final straw was the safety issue with the on/off switch.

It was a real shame as it was a great looking TV

I was a Sony person before the 36hq but they have lost me now!
    I had all sony kit as I believed it would be a perfectly integrated system - Alas this was not the case

3. markeynon

markeynon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you have any problems taking it back?
    i dont want to take it back,it`s such a lovely bit of kit with a fab picture but this lip sync is doing my head in.did you manage to replace it with something of equal quality!

4. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony have given me an Amp to cure the lipsync.

5. markeynon

markeynon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you deal with sony direct or the retailer you bought it off? What amp did you get and did it solve the problem?

6. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HT-DDW860 ,it arrives soon...............

7. deanop

deanop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,

I delt with my local sony centre in Fareham and I spoke with Sony direct. They both said there is no amp that they sell that will work with the TV without a lip synch problem. (They even admitted that their brouchure was wrong)
    You are right it drives you nuts! once you have noticed it for me it just got worse and worse.

I hassled the sony centre so much that I think they were glad to take it back and get rid of me. I was not impressed at all with the after service especially when you spend £2000 on a Flagship model

I went looking for a new TV and started to think I was not going to get anything I would be happy with but in the end I went for the Pioneer Plasma PDP-435XDE and I have to say it is 500% better than the Sony and true HD ready.
    No lip Synch, no artifacts Great - And it is on the wall above the fireplace.
    It was not the decision that was difficult it was getting the wife to agree to a plasma and then get it on the wall instead of in the corner - plus of course its a 43 inch. I did think it might be a bit big but it is really OK - I can now do that bloke thing and watch 2 things at once using picture in picture and both are on equivilant to a 20inch screen.
    Have to say though it was another £1600 when you add in the wall bracket, long lead and speakers!!! - ouch!

Good luck

8. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony have assured me that the amp and DVD player they will supply will cure this problem-i can't see why they would lie?? They offered me a £3K Plasma instead but i like the HQ100 too much!!! I'll report back when it's here...............

9. markeynon

markeynon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,very helpfull.contacted my local sony center yesterday,they didn`t admit to the fault but give me the sony cust care number,but they are closed until wednesday,will try then....many thanks again....ps will post sonys answer :thumbsup:

10. markeynon

markeynon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to sony technical,told me that there is no fault with the tv,my amp was at fault,must be an old one he said"cheeky ****er" for not having sound delay on it.the tv and the av amp were purchased at the same time though.reckon my sony center should have known about the problem and not sold me that amp...what you reckon?

Going to take it up with my local store tommorow

11. deanop

deanop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony customer support will know about it!

12. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hmmm,funny how Sony are giving me an amp to combat this problem whilst others are getting this!! Speak to Lee or Matt at Sony customer centre ;)

13. markeynon

markeynon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is the telephone number for sony care? just in case i have a different one......ps have you had the amp yet?

14. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    01932 816000

15. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I've heard of this issue, and as far as I know it's not the amp that will cure it. It'll be the DVD player.

16. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    can't see how a DVD player would cure it? The sound needs a time delay-amps usually have this.......

17. markeynon

markeynon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just spoke to matt at sony hq,very helpfull,did say they have had probs and will ring me back tomorrow...cheers guys :thumbsup:

18. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    let us know how it goes m8 ;) cheers

19. TWOFISH

TWOFISH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just for information I sent an e-mail to sony regarding this problem, this is the reply

Dear Mr Smith

Thank you for your recent enquiry and I apologise for the delay in my reply.

The problem is caused by the amount of processing used for the video signal on the KV36HQ100U. When using the internal processing for the audio the sound is delayed so that both sound and picture arrive at the correct time. When using an external source such as the DAVS system the audio is not delayed and therefore the sound will lead the picture. The only way to prevent this is to use an amplifier that allows for an audio delay. Customers that have LCD and Plasma TV's will also experience this sort of problem; this is not a design fault but more of a consequence of the technology used in these types of sets.

I apologise for any disappointment this reply may case.

Finally, if you need to reply to this e-mail, please quote reference 135771344 in the subject field of your e-mail.

With Regards

Barry Pollock
    For and on behalf of
    Sony United Kingdom Limited

20. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hmmm,well i'm on my 8th Sony TV this month(1 year after original purchase!!) so maybe i'm getting that little bit more due to the problems? i don't think it's fair that some customers are getting amps to combat this while others aren't?? i'll report back when my kit arrives(awaiting the latest TV at the moment-this one has poor purity!!)

21. markeynon

markeynon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,spoke to my local sony yesterday,they are looking for an amp with this delay for me,told them to match it up with a dvd player as well,as i didn't want a mix bag of brands.Don't know if they are going to charge me for this,will see today.still awaiting matt's return call from hq.

DRGL--you said your on your 8th set,my sony center doesn't even sell this set any more,have they discontinued it?

22. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Currys' still sell it and Sony have told me it's still their flagship CRT.I had three FS76U's(all failed) First HQ100 switched SCART's on it's own(turned out to be normal-widesreen switching)replacement had bad purity,replacement for that was spot on until some idiot from mastercare broke it when doing the recall!! Replacement had bad picture,and replacement for that had bad purity!! Awaiting the next replacement..............

23. markeynon

markeynon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my local sony has agreed to take back my av amp and dvd and replace with ones with audio delay.i think i will have to pay the difference for what i have.do you think this is fare?
    what would be your preference of av equip?
    i think its down to yamaha or denon,with yamaha being the cheapest.
    give us your choice guys :confused:

24. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    fair? well Sony are giving me an AV amp and DVD player but then i've had a LOT of hassle with their TV's!!

25. untiedshoes

untiedshoes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all...i'm new to this forum

I have been seriously considering this tv, but after reading the forums and the various problems I have read about i'm somewhat put off.

Is the lip-sync problem common? and has anyone had a fix?

My amp does have the ability to change the sound delay, but I don't want to spend a whole chunk of money on a set that i'm going to have to keep sending back until I get a good one...

Does anyone know of a comparable plasma? because by the sounds of it, there isn't a crt to match it.

Craig

26. markeynon

markeynon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi craig,i love the set appart from this sound problem,still haven't had any joy from sony! looks like it's going to cost me about £500 for an amp with this sound delay of at least 200m/s,either the denon avr2805 or the yamaha rx-v1500.What amp have you got mate?

27. cmc

cmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there, thought I'd just mention the Felston audio delay gizmo which solves the lip-synch problems on the tv. I've had the HQ100 for a few months now and really love it - fantastic picture and it looks great. However I was also very annoyed when I discovered this lip-synch issue while watching DVDs through my amp.
    In the end I bought the Felston (which I think cost about £170 - bit pricey but I guess it is less than a brand new amp), and you can basically set the audio delay to whatever level you require. For some reason I've found that 65ms is perfect for the TV not 200ms.
    Anyways, it's worth checking out if you don't want to change the set.

28. untiedshoes

untiedshoes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Yamaha DSP A1, and by the looks of it it doesn't have the delay that was needed, but Ive ended up buying KDEP37XSI Plasma insead. Though fantastic this is, there is also a small lipsync problem with it too which I've read about. I dont have it yet, hopefully end of the week...Yeeee!

Cmc, what is that gadget you mention, and where can we find it?

29. cmc

cmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  30. untiedshoes

untiedshoes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers for that CMC, certainly seems a cheaper option than a new amp. Did you notice any drop in audible quality after putting it in line? Thats my only concearn that the digital signal will be degraded?

Cheers for the link... Craig