1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY KV-36HQ100 - PAL B-G signal to PAL-I signal

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Geeza, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Geeza

Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Could anyone PLEASE answer this question as Sony have been as usual very unhelpful.

I purchased a Sony KV-36HQ100 in Lisbon Portugal and am likely to be moving back to the UK and would very much like to take the TV with me.

The problem is I'm unsure it will work as the TV is PAL B/G and not PAL I (UK format). Sony told me there is nothing they can do about it and that it would definitely not work in the UK.

Is this true?

I will very likely be using the TV with a UK digibox or Video / DVD system and believe that using the SCART system I can get away with the different sound system incompatibilities.

Is this true?

I would however appreciate it if you could tell me or direct me to possible technical workarounds / modifications which would make the TV completely compatible if available? Also, how much would this likely cost and who could do these alterations?

GREATLY appreciated any feedback on this.

Many thanks,

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I dont think you will have any problems using a uk digibox.
    Some people advise against moving TVs to different countries because the earths magetic field is different in different places, I myself think it has little or no effect, I am just a layman not qualified.
    Perhaps others can answer who arew qualified or people who have brought TVs from other countries.
    As long as you use a VCR for analogue or digi box, then I can see no problems on that issue.

I am glad I will not be carrying it.

Nigel

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Should be OK. whenever I have to choose a transmission standard for something like some PC capture software it always groups PAL B/G/H/I together with all the other variants listed separately. My guess is a PAL B/G set will work OK in PAL I.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, NO your tv set will not work on analogue UHF transmissions in the uk. We use CCIR system I - we are unique in Europe. Some (most ?) tellys can be selected to work with other CCIR standards but as Sony say your set is not selectable then no your TV set will not work with uk analogue transmissions. As has already been stated naturally your TV set will work perfectly ok via equipment attached to the Scart sockets and there is no reason why you could not watch the 'normal' uk channels via a seperate digibox (DTT or Dsat). However, if it were me I would double check that this model is not selectable to the CCIR I (uk) standard - could Sony's helpline be wrong ?Regards, yt.

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    According to the s/m inputting TT code 24 selects destination for the UK.

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, yes I thought Sony had probably made a mistake. Regards, yt.

7. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    I believe that the difference between PAL B/G and PAL I is just in the audio decoding. The video should work fine in the UK, but the sound will be distorted.

Nick

8. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, The different CCIR systems specify different frequency spacings between the transmitted vision and sound on UHF. With CCIR system I the spacing is 6mhz. With CCIR system B/G the spacing is 5.5mhz. So, if you manually tuned your tv in (in the wrong country) then you would get vision or sound but not both at the same tuning point. Take your pick. Regards, yt.