Sony KV-36HQ100 (Now Discontinued)

D

DS9

I have been looking to purchase a Sony KV-36HQ100 for a few months now and have just suddenly noticed pricing comming down on the sets.

Sony Centre UK, has them on sales for £1599. I asked about stock availibility and they said they would call back with an update.

Sony called back on Saturday and stated that there is no more stock of this set and the only thing available are referbs or showroom models as it has now been discontinued. I have held back due to a high number of reliabilty issues from other people that have purchased the set. Maybe I waited too long.....

Are there any other sets out there that come anywhere near to the KV-36HQ100 fantastic real looking picture quality and that also have a good reliability record? Am I asking for the impossible?

Help please....

DS9

hmmmmmmmmmm,and this came from Sony?? That's not what they are telling me!! I certainly won't be happy if my replacement isn't brand new!! Emailing the guy @ Sony now,will report back ;)

I've not heard back but had a phone call from Sony today,my replacement TV is ready :) I'm awaiting confirmation that the unit will be brand new and the model is not discontinued. It's still on Sony's website though.......

Email just came through :-

"The television is new and has come direct from our factory. Furthermore, it has been checked from top to bottom by our Engineers in the Product Quality and Engineering department.

I have received the details on the new range of Sony televisions due out later this year, their is no 36" television listed, so at this time I think it is safe to say that the HQ100 remains the current model. However, it will of course not continue forever, as is always the case with products of this nature."

So looks like you should be able to get them?? All this hassle has prob. been caused by the product recall on them??

Hi DRGL

The "Discontinued" statement came from Sony Centre on Saturday 29th. They stated that they are no longer able to secure any new stock on the KV-36HQ100 and would be unable to supply and sell me a new set. My concern is that if for whatever reason I need to return the set in the very near future, I will not be able to get a new replacement if it is discontinued. Big dilemma!!

I am going to check if this is the same with other suppliers e.g. John Lewis, I’ll let you know the outcome. The other thing that signals some truth in this is an observation I’ve made recently involving retailers removing their KV-36HQ100 from showroom displays.

What are the new models that you mentioned that Sony are launching latter this year?? Can you provide anymore info?? I was always intrigued why Sony UK never launched the KV-32HQ100 in the UK, and why it was only ever available in Europe. If there is a future 32” set with the same technology elements as the current HQ100, that would be of interest as it would fit in my living room better than the 36”.

What do you recon comes close to the Sony for picture quality:

• Loewe?
• Panasonic?
• Toshiba?
• Phillips?

I feel that we are being pushed towards LCD and Plasma when their picture quality is far inferior to a really good CRT and probably requires at least 5 more years of R&D to prove their duty cycle and picture quality. £2000 + for an LCD/Plasma that looks blurry, fuzzy and unnatural, looks like new technology, for technology sake and not what does the job best!!

DS9

I would suggest emailing Sony direct. I have no further info other than what i posted above,that came direct from Sony(the person who is dealing with my replacement) The display models would need the recall doing,i would guess it would be natural for the retailers to rotate stock when the recall is performed too so maybe they will re-appear?? I would ring/email Sony m8 ;)

I have emailed Sony today regarding the discontinuation question and also the new sets you mentioned.
Just to be on the safe side I have reserved a KV-36HQ100 with JL today. (only 4 left in stock at the warehouse) I asked JL about the discontinuation question and they indicated a high liklyhood of this being true, based on the indicators displayed on their stock control software.
I'll let you know if I take the plunge as the only thing which is still concerning me is if I need to return the set for whatever reason, I will not get another one and would probably be forced down the LCD/Plasma route.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks m8,i guess if you take the plunge and have problems you will get offered a refund,or something else?? It's worth the risk IMO,it's a cracking set.................when working :)

Ok,new TV arrived (just) Just got it on the stand but feel sick about turning on-lol. If it's a refurb it's a very good one-the holes at the back where the stand screws into have never been used and it still has protective wrapping on all the aluminum bits. It certainly smells new(!!!),i'll check the timer in the service menu but i guess these are easy to reset??.Here's to hoping it's OK!!!.........

Hi DRGL

Sorry to read in other threads about your ongoing saga regards your new set. Have you concluded the reason for the degaussing issue?

My KV-36HQ100 arrived yesterday from JL and I’m very relieved to say that everything is OK – so far…..
It is one hell of a fantastic picture, sometimes it’s like looking out a window! What a TV!! Plasma and LCD don’t even get of the starting blocks for picture quality against this set!

I would be interested to know how much adjusting you needed to make to Contrast, Brightness, Colour, Sharpness, Colour Tone, RGB settings ect…?

Take care;

DS9

Hi,well out of the box it was perfect :) Then over the next few day's colour impurity came back :( It's gone again now but we've come to the conclusion that there must be something in the room/house interfering!! If i rotate the TV the impurity changes which points towards something(although any TV will do that anywhere du to the Earths magantism!!) The sets come out of the box in "live" mode which is awful,i use personal with th esettings vertually set to thensame as "movie"-i think i have the contrast and brightness one notch lower than that mode with the colour up one notch. I also have the sound set to "dynamic" with the bass and trebble turned up ;) It's a great TV,i had an FS76U prior to it and though that was good with DVD's,the HQ100 blows it out of the water!! I hope you enjoy it ;) The lip sync issue can be annoying with some DVD's but if your amp/surround doesn't have delay then this should help :-

http://www.felston.com/

DRGL

Thanks for the setup advice, however, I’m now sh**ing myself because I have just noticed a green turquoise impurity that has just appeared in the top right hand corner of the screen as well as a little down the left hand side. It only becomes noticeable on a white or very light coloured screen background.

In reading all the comments about this impurity issue, I will see how it is after a week of turning on and off and hope and pray it’s not the beginning of the end. Oh yea, the TV is aligned with the screen pointing west and the rear panel pointing east.

Mission Control, we may have another KV-36HQ100 Apollo 13!

On the subject of LipSync would you suggest the Felston with a low cost amp and speakers or a mid cost amp with the delay option built in?

By the way I emailed Sony a couple of weeks ago about the rumours of this set being discontinued. I had a phone call from Sony yesterday confirming that the KV-36HQ100 has been discontinued and that no further releases of this set will happen. The end of an era…..

DS9

Guys,
I ordered a 36HQ100 a few weeks ago, but was told production had stopped due to the recall fault too. Just received a Panasonic 36PD50 instead, but the lack of an un-molested 50Hz mode is not good- too many (although not too bad with a decent source) digital artifacts from the 100Hz system for my liking. Is the HQ100 the same, or can you run it at 50Hz interlaced?

Thanks
Simon

DS9,hows things now? I have a Sony surround sound and DVD player(about £600 worth in total) and plan to get the device i listed. The stuff i've got was free from Sony due to all my problems(can't complain at that!!) You can't turn the 100Hz processing off on the HQ100,you have two modes,digital motion and the other one i can't remember!! Football is FINE 100% with digital motion,picture break up occurs wityh very fast moving scenes but i have no problem with it.Sony still tell me they have no plans to replace the HQ100,i'm sure if you really wanted one you could get it ;) It's one of the best looking TV's out there IMO and when you get a good one the picture is fantastic. maybe the HQ120 or whatever will be out soon..............

Get one,you know you want to!!

Attachments

• IMAG0034.JPG
    IMAG0034.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,143
Hi DRGL

The green turquoise impurity in the top right hand corner of the screen is still there a little bit in light white colours, but I’m not noticing it as much as I did at first. I guess some degree of impurity is to be expected in a 36” screen? I’m loathed to return it just in case I get a worse one, especially as they are now discontinued.

I’m now looking at a low cost low profile height AV Receiver, any comments welcome:

• Pioneer VSX-C502 Receiver
• Yamaha RX-SL100 Receiver

• ELAC CINEMA 1 ESP MK2 5.1 home cinema speaker system

DRGL, has your HQ100’s impurity problems gone away?

The guy I spoke to at Sony said that there would be no further development of the HQ100 or many other Sony CRT’s for that matter. He said that Sony was putting its R&D development into LCD and moving away from CRT’s. They are also going to be moving away from Plasma in the long term. It will be interesting to see how things develop with SED technology in the future.

DS9

Hi,the impurity is still there although it has faded,i have found if i move the set a few degrees it goes completely!! I think these TV's must be very sensitive to magnatism. On a side not if i get a total white picture on mine there is a very slight greenish tint to the top right corner,although this is so slight i have to stare at that corner!! One of the HQ100's i had did have a very bad tinge of green in that corner though. I'm sad to hear that Sony are moving away from CRT's although i can understand it in some way's. The HQ100 weighs a ton and i bet they get a fair few damaged in transit due to mis handling.we all want bigger screens now too(36" isn't really that big IMO). I'm not really into the home cinema but i'm sure someone will advise you on that front ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom