1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV-36hq100 and home cinema

Discussion in 'TVs' started by deanop, Oct 21, 2004.

1. deanop

deanop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have just joined this forum to add this posting as I am getting a bit frustrated and hope someone can help me - Please!!!

I have just purchased a Sony KV-36HQ100 to go with my other Sony kit DVD recorder GX7, Digibox VTX-s760U, Home cinema HT-SL40 & Freeview VTX-D800U thinking this would be the final piece for an entirely integrated system!!! The TV itself is fantastic However, The sound from the Home cinema system is not in synch with the picture and is really anoying!
    I have tried all possible connections, Optical, Coax, Phono etc all have the same result.
    I have just rang Sony support and they say that the TV is faster by 200ms and it is a recignised issue. They also said that there is not a Sony Home cinema kit that will work with this TV at the moment, apparently they are working on one at the moment.
    I am not sure what to do, as you can see I have a lot of Sony kit (have not mentioned the Camcorder and digital cameras) and have been building up to the complete system over a period of time so I cant take it all back either.
    Has anyone had this experience or does anyone have any solutions please.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Dean

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,I've got an HQ100 and a Panasonic surround sound system. I sometimes get sync problems but most of the time it is OK.Is yours always "out"?

3. deanop

deanop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just written the following on another thread and thought I would copy it here.
    The link to the thread and forum is http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11114&forum=35&start=240&select_page_number=25

Hi all,

I have just read all 25 pages on this forum and I am still unclear as to the position with the KV-36HQ100.

I am in the UK and purchased this TV 3 weeks ago - Sept 04

I am having problems as people have described
    1. Artifacts around moving images
    2. Lip Synch problems

I rang Sony UK on 08750 111999 and they said it is a known issue with the sound with a delay of 200 milli seconds and they do not currently produce an AV amp that will solve this issue.
    The Lady said "there is nothing that can be done presently" She also said that Sony dealers are aware of the problem and they should not sell an cinema surround kit with this TV.
    I went to my local Sony centre this morning and guess what?... They were not aware of the issues at all! I asked them to listen to the one in the shop and they were very surprised as they confirmed the problems.

I pointed out that in the current Sony Product Catalogue 2004 it quotes on page 115

"To enjoy outstanding DVD playback and powerful surround sound, add on the DVP-NS930V DVD player (p. 12, STR-DB790 AV receiver (p. 140) and SA-VE835ED speakers (p. 144)."

They are going to connect this setup together and test it in the next few days plus speak to Sony to find out more. I will let you know what happens!

Meanwhile...

Does anyone know any more about these issues?

Is there a firmware fix?

Does a Sony man come out and fix the above and if so how did you go about getting him out?

My set up is:
    TV KV-36HQ100
    DVD RDR-GX7
    Home Cinema HT-SL40
    Remote RM-VZ950T
    Sky VTX-760U
    Freeview VTX-D800U
    Plus camcorder and digital camera with lots of memory sticks

Have I mad a big mistake buying all Sony?

Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations !!!!!!

Dean

4. deanop

deanop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry DRGL I did not answer your question specifically

Yes the lip synch problem is always there!
    If you get the volume on the TV at the same level as the surround sound and then mute one or other you will notice it. When both are on there is an echo.

Do you have the artifacts problem around people? Its like a number of outlines around them.
    I noticed it the other day when watching the snooker - after the player takes a shot and moves the cue away it virtually dissapears.

Thanks

Dean

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I get the echo with the TV speakers on too but usually listen to just the surround speakers.I get some picture artifacts but mostly on fast moving scenes..........

6. deanop

deanop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you listen to just the surround speakers is it not out of time with the people talking just like its been dubbed?

I also caught a glimps of the darts today but you saw the dart go in the board and them some time afterwards you hear the thump. It honestly stopped me watching it. We all need to get to the bottom of this!
    I find this is just not acceptable - how much money have we spent?

Dean :mad:

7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On mine it is sometimes out but other times OK(as the program/film goes on!) Didn't have any problems with the darts,i'm using a Pioneer freeview adaptor if that makes any difference??

8. cmc

cmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just ordered this set and was looking forward to using it for DVDs with my Denon amp and Kef eggs. Am i in for a horrible surprise when it arrives on Saturday? I don't want to be watching movies which look like they have been dubbed poorly into English...

9. deanop

deanop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi CMC,

I have seen on the forums talk about the later versions being better? Lets hope that is the case - let us know please.

My local Sony centre still have not got back to me yet.

Dean

10. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also had this set (KV-36HQ100) for a good while and had the same problems which you described. The biggest issue was problem was with motion compensation (lots of ghosting and macroblocking) but there was also:
    x thin black horizontal lines all over the picture
    x the image was unstable (shaking) when motion compensation was activated
    x white areas had red shadows

I returned the Sony, got a Philips 36PW9618 and pretty much been a happy camper ever since. Of course it isn't a perfect set but I can live happily along with it's flaws since they don't bother me that much.

This happened during spring 2004 and I'm a bit surprised that Sony hasn't been able to correct the problem with their flagship model. I wonder why people still buy this set...

11. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have no problems with the digital motion mode,if it bothers you that much you can switch to "normal" 100Hz operation on the later models(early models didn't have this,inputting TT96 from the service menu gave this option) There should only be two thin black horizontal lines-these are the wires that hold the aperture grill in in place on Trintron tubes.Shaking pictures-no such problem here,white areas with red-i've had three of these sets and each one has had some sort of magnetic/purity problem!Maybe if models weren't replaced so often these problems would get fixed!! Apart from the tiny purity problem of this one it's fine........

12. deanop

deanop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just thought I would let you know that my local Sony Center are coming to collect my KV-hq36100 on Monday and I am getting my money back. There is no sony fix for the problems I have experienced and they accept there are issues.
    To top that there is now a safety recall.

They did offer to give me the money towards another set but as that is the only 36 CRT they do it meant an LCD 32 mx1 or Plasma 37mx1 but I have to say for the money I was not impressed!

Back to the 28inch 13 year old panasonic!! Out with the Sony