1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV-36FS76

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by marah, Jan 19, 2004.

1. marah

marah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a search about can't find any bad comments on this one so are there any? Interested with the £1300 price also can you switch between 50 and 100Hz as I have heard of problems with 100Hz scanning.

Thanks

2. wibble

wibble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had one of these for 8 months now and I have to say that I personally find it to deliver outstanding pictures with perfect geometry and convergance. Yes, you can easily switch between 50/100hz. I prefer DRCM 50 as this gives the best picture resoultion. I leave mine on game mode and have tweaked some settings in the service menu but this is only to further tweak the picture to my tastes. It should be quite possible for you to enjoy this set as is.

3. marah

marah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good thanks will probably get one :)

4. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've also had 1 for 7 months and no problems, good connectivity and picture quality from an RGB enabled source. Had some issue with Geometry (which was slightly out) but Sony got a service centre to come out and rectify thisto a standard where I was happy. Convergance is no problem.

This set has been out a while now... wouldn't be suprised if there was a replacement due soon.

5. marah

marah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes seen reports of a new model coming soon but at less than £1300 this one could prove to be a bargain.

6. CIMPSA

CIMPSA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have had one for a few 6 moths now, and I am very happy with it: The Geometry is not perfect, but I guess I cvan live with it, do not want to fiddle with the Service Menu, I woouldn't know what to do.

The only problem I have noticed recently is that when playing R1 Discs trough my Toshiba 220 (made mukltiregion using a "crack" from the internet), I have noticed that, well, how to explain it, the top half of the screen is "squeezed", this is, the green simbol displayed by the TV when the scart connection is made (you know, the circle with the "1" and the description of the input on the right that stays for a few seconds when the dvd is detected), and shifted to the top, even beyond the screen. I guess this is due to the NTSC playback, but I am now wondering whether I am in fact not seeing the whole picture.

I have made some pictures of "Black Hawk Down", both R1 and R2 that shows this, only need to know how to post them here, I´ll try to do soon. In this case I am pretty sure I am not "losing" any information, just the bottom black bar (2:35:1 format) is bigger.

What a descrition, eh?

Well, all in all I love the TV, but the new model does look good too!

7. marah

marah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say the geometry is not perfect what exactly does that mean (I am new to HC set up)

Also noticed these if anyone can comment good or bad on these?

Philips 36PW9308
    JVC HV36P38SJEC
    Philips 36PW9618

8. CIMPSA

CIMPSA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I mean that in my case the image is rotated slightly "anti-clockwise", so if watching a film with black bars up and down, the bottom left side of the bar would be thinner than the bottom right. I understand that this could be changes using the SErvice Meni, but I do not know how.

This may be a nonsense, but living nearer to the Equator, I supoose it does have maybe something to do (gravity of Earth), or maybe this affects someting else? I am sure I have read something about this on the manual.

9. marah

marah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh....Like the settings on a PC Screen I am understanding now.

As long as its anti-clockwise as my av unit tilts to the right so that would balance out...lol

As for the gravity thing nothing would surprise me with the amount of different faults/solutions I have found!

10. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Theres an option to rotate a little in the normal menu (ie not service menu). I had to alter this on the normal menu when I got it new and the tilt was resolved staright away.

I called Sony out because the the screen was perfectly straight on the right side but slanted slightly inwards on the left side.

But... like I said this was sorted out quite quickly by the engineer.. Very happy with my set.

11. CIMPSA

CIMPSA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    devastator, I have this already to the maximum, but as I said, I can live with that without fiddling witht he service menu (unless somebody explain me step by step what to do exactly:) And I do not trust any Sony engineer to come around (not exactly very technical around here...)

12. Echoman

Echoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just recievied my kv-36 yesterday, can anyone please tell me how to connect my NTL box so that i can take advantage of the PIP, can i use the sony remote for the ntl box ?
    thanks

13. marah

marah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think of the picture echoman any problems?

14. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Hi All,

Set my girlfriends Dads FS76 up last night, must say no buzz and perfect picture just like my FX66.

My question is shall i connect his new video to the space RGB socket on the back or leave it in AV3 where it has smart link. The video is also a SONY Nicam one which he bought at the same time.

I have Sky on AV1 set to RGB and then i have his SONY surround setup which is in composite on AV4 wanted to use AV2 RGB but displays black and white.

Any suggests to help me get the best from his setup would be much appreciated.

He will also wanna records programs off his video from Sky which i have connected a scart lead from the digibox to the video. He has no aerial only the Sky source.

Thanks

Dal