1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV-36FS70 Owners

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mr_P, May 22, 2002.

1. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Just starting a new thread with regards to the scrolling bar problem on these sets.

My 'brand new' set delivered last week has the scrolling bar problem. However it is ONLY on any input through the aerial socket. All inputs av1 to av4 are fine.

As an engineer is visiting me this Friday(24th May), can any other owners of this set post here with the scrolling bar problems they have had on their set, also any reponses they have had from Sony and whether they have had a new board fitted to their set and what was the outcome. Also how many sets people have gone through etc.

Also appreciated would be any comments from anyone who has one of these sets and have no problems with it at all. Is there anyone out there in that position?!?

I know it is short notice, 2 days but any comments would be useful as I intend to sit the engineer down at my pc and show him this thread.

Many many thanks and let's hope all us FQ/FS owners can get this Sony problem sorted once and for all.

2. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    BTT
    Anyone got any comments to make on this set please?

3. Bloyd

Bloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 36FS70 has scrolling bars on all AV inputs when in 50hz mode (not visable on 100Hz processing).

However, I have no faith whatsoever that Sony have found a correct solution to this problem and fear that if an engineer were to muck about with my set things would get even worse.

Having a collection of 800+ NTSC DVD's, I'm forced to watch these in 100hz (which makes a joke of the revolutionary DRC technology). That was once the playback option was switched on in the service menu of course!

Have had a total of 8 days off work with various engineers' scratching their heads or saying that the set is "within tolerances".

IMO this model is seriously flawed, focus problems, poor geometry, bad contrast on presets, noticable red side bars when watching 4:3 material & the infamous scrolling bars

I for one will never buy a Sony product again, and if the option is open to you I would advise you back this set ASAP and invest in a Loewe or Panasonic instead.

Regards,

Blloyd.

4. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the scrolling bars on my 36FS70 but only through terrestial channels. When viewing pre-recorded videos/dvds no problems at all. However, viewing the tv while video switched on was also ok 95% of the time. When I watched a channel via ariel input then the scrolling bars would show up sometimes (about 15% of the time).
    I had John Lewis round to see the problem but of-course it didn't show up. I asked for the tv to be replaced and they did this about 4 weeks ago. I have only noticed the scrolling bars on the new set twice. Both times it was very hard to see them but they were there. Once was last night while watching very dark images on Only fools and horses.
    I phoned Sony after the first occurence about 2 weeks ago and they first denied there were any scrolling bar problems with the 36FS70 and then they claimed that it only affected the AV imputs. I decided not to waste any more of my life pursuing it until I'd heard how other people got on with the fix.
    If there was another 36" tv without any problems I would swap my Sony but there isn't such an alternative so I have no choice but to keep the Sony. The problem isn't bad enough for me to ask for my money back.
    Perhaps the Loewe 40" would be ok but I haven't got that much money to spend.

5. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

I too have no problems through the av inputs at all just the aerial but once you have seen it once, it is there to see nearly all the time.

I have a nice recorded football match where when going through av2 it is perfect but put it through ch36 and the bars are terrible. I will be showing this to the engineer on Friday.

I am dreading the world cup through the aerial, as the scrolling bars will spoil the viewing pleasure. I will have to feed it through the video and then via av2.

I might ask for another set and then when it gets delivered perform some tests on it before accepting it, mind you I may have to go through a few sets before I am happy.

Incidentally how much is this 40" Loewe?

6. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think on the website it was about 5,500 euros (£3500). Not sure if this includes VAT. John Lewis don't sell it. I got the Sony 36" for £1800 and I can't justify doubling the budget for a Loewe which might have its own problems.

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume that ch36 is your VCR.

I may be wrong but doesn't CHANN5 use ch37, and don't they use this channel frequency for the whole of the UK, unlike BBC1 ITV etc, where they use different frequencies in different areas.

Just a thought.

8. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yes ch 36 is my video recorder output through the aerial, which has the scrolling bars, through the scart connector no problem with the scrolling bars at all.

Anything through the aerial at all produces the problem, video terrestrial tv, ps1, ps2 through the rf cable. SCART IS 100% FINE.

Channel 5 is on CH68 where I live.

I am currently waiting for the engineer to come round today, I have my FS70 set up with ps1, ps2, x box, dvd, video etc so I can show him the problem with the aerial input and how the problem goes away when the same input goes via scart!

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr_P,

It was just a thought,

The last set i had was the 36FS70, had no problems with it at all.

One of the best sets iv'e had in years.

Couldn't find a single fault.

Must have been very lucky.

Hope your problem gets sorted.

bob

10. jlett

jlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My retailer (Sony Centre) refuses to swap my FQ75 again, as I've had 4 so far. They expect me to live with the problems on these models. I guess Sony Centre's hands are tied, as they can't really replace it with another make...

I bought from Sony Centre, and happily paid a premium price there, as I was mislead at the time by the store in to believing they are part of Sony. I was also told the the extended warranty was double backed by Sony should Sony Centre go out of business (SUK say they do not honour Sony Centre warranties).

In view of the experiences I've had with Sony Centre, I would recommend that any potential customers go elsewhere, more specifically somewhere that sells a variety of brands. At least the salesmen are more likely to be honest about the problems with Sony.

11. jlett

jlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an idea, but I used to have interference patterns on my old 4:3 Sony set. I cured it buy just adjusting the fine tuning and taking it very slightly out of tune. It appeared my tv signal may have been too strong.

Has anyone tried this to see if it gets rid of the bars?

12. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the signal was causing the problem I would expect it to show up more often. My ariel was installed about 18 months ago. I re-called the ariel installer once for him to check the signal and he was happy with it. He said it was slightly stronger than normal but that he had never known it to cause a problem. I've used him since 1984 and never had a problem with his installations/honesty before.

As I said, the problem with my current model is so rare as not to justify creating a stink. If I had never had the problems with my previous tv I wouldn't have noticed the bars on my current replacement because they are so rare (twice in a month) and appear only for a very few seconds.

13. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Good point by jlett about Sony Centres. They are not owned by Sony and my experience of several of them is that their knowledge and experience are minimal. The best advice to anyone within reach of a John Lewis is go there - reasonable pricing, first-class warranty and inexhaustible patience. And of course a wide variety of makes to look at. I have no connection with JL except as a very satisfied customer.

14. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you Bernard, JL seem to be a lot more better knowledge/service wise. I went into JLs in Watford last weekend to have a browse before I take the plunge and it was a very good experience (apart from remembering not to take the kids the next time !!) Much better than your out of town outlets. .

One thing...

What's their price matching like ? Do they have certain requirements ?

:confused: :confused:

15. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think they stipulate the item you want to buy must be in stock at the outlet that's offering a lower price. I've seen other posts on this forum about their price-matching policies, so maybe it would be an idea to do a search.

16. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes Me!

Ive had one for a year now, after originally buying a Panny, which i returned.

I have had absolutley no problems with it, and am amazed by the amount of complaints about it here, very unfortunate, no scrolling bars, geometry or focus problems. The picture makes me giggle like a girl....no really.

these complaints must be down to a lack of quality control, or a bad batch.

17. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Yep, I'll agree. Had an FS70 for 18 months (before moving to plasma). Never had a problem with it. Outstanding picture, good sound, no scrolling bars. I never used the RF aerial input though. All my viewing (TV, DVD) was done over RGB scart.

Excellent set in my opinion.

18. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No scrolling bar problems with DVD. But had problems via Video and RF

19. the thing wnn

the thing wnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
    i've had no probs with mine, selling now in classifieds to get plasma (which is coming tonight!!!!):D

20. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally managed to get a refund from the retailer for my Sony KV36FS70.

It had the scrolling bars very visibly, primarily on analogue terrestrial, but also on Sky to a lesser degree. It went off for repair for 8 weeks but was worse upon return!

It also had purity errors in top corners, and poor left side focus, both of which were allegedly "fixed" and p*ss poor geometry. Also the second and third SCART sockets were buggered.

All in all, how Sony can market this set I do not know, and I paid £2,200 for it.

Shocking. Anyway I finally demanded a refund 9 months after purchase and got it.

Thanks to all who have worked so hard to publicise this - I am very grateful.

Now I am considering buying a 50" Toshiba RP set to replace it.

Hope this is problem free, I just want a decent hassle free TV!!!

Keep the faith, I will never buy another Sony TV as long as I live.