1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV-32LS65 and NTSC problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by izzy, Jul 25, 2002.

1. izzy

izzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I got mine 32LS65e (32LS60 with few extra features) a couple of weeks ago and immediately noticed a severe problem with NTCS playback of DVD.

In fast scenes where there are lots of movement picture "tears" and "breaks" horizontally about 1/5 from top of the screen. That part also flickers. But with no movement there are no promblems and picture is great. No problems with PAL either.

My DVD player is Sony DVP-NS700V but I have tried also Grundig DVD player. Player is connected with good scart cable. I've also tried S-video. Players do work because picture is ok with other tvs. Problem is with all (20+) my NTSC dvds but not with PAL ones.

Of course I contacted local Sony repair and they looked it for a week. Then I had to go there myself because they couldn't reproduce the problem (no NTSC dvd available). I took my player with me and showed them the problem. They had never seen that and promised to contact Sony for more information.

What makes this intresting is that in repair shop they had another LS65 (or was it LS60) and it had the same problem! Is this a fault in every new Sony? I can't believe that no one has found this kind of problem. After a week they phoned me for more information because Sony didn't know about the problem. Now I just wait..

Can anyone test LS60/65 for NTSC playback? Any problems?

thanks, Ismo

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an LS60 and it has perfect NTSC playback (it's as excellent as the PAL playback).

Might it be something to do with the extra digital processing that comes with the LS65 I wonder?? (the LS60 has none, it's a plain 100Hz set). After all, you say it only happens with fast movement - that's the most common scenario for the extra digital processing on 100Hz sets to break down and start introducing artefacts. Try turning that stuff off and also turn off the Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) and see if the problem is improved or eradicated. If so, you'll need to get used to which settings you use for different types of video feed. If not, then ........ :rolleyes:

3. izzy

izzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

nice to hear that at least LS60 is ok :) For digital processing there are only option to turn on/off digital noise reduction and that does not have an effect. I looked also service menu, but I have no idea what most of the options do so I decided not to touch them :) But problem doesn't look like 100Hz thing.. This is a clear fault not a "feature".

As far as I know LS65 is LS60 + digital comb filter & PIP (dealer told me). I can't find LS65 from Sony's web pages..

Well.. I hope Sony will solve this.

thanks, Ismo

4. df1603

df1603

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  5. izzy

izzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I replaced the tv to model KV32FX66. It works fine and I can recommend it. It has nearly the same features than KV32LS65 and some more.

br, Izzy

6. df1603

df1603

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    did you consider LS60? it is much cheaper then LS65 and FX66 but picture-wise I think it is "almost" the same as the others....

7. izzy

izzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LS60 has only plain 100Hz and FX66 has 100Hz Plus(I don't know if one can see the difference). FX66 also has Picture freeze and PIP (really useful features ;).

So you are right about that LS60 might be good choice. But FX66 is much closer to LS65 (features&price) so the change was easier to make with the dealer. And I finally got a _working_ tv so I'm happy.

I also think that desing of FX-series looks better ;)

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is my preference - means you avoid the "digital nasties" ;)

9. izzy

izzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay you put it that way :) I have just always thought that plain 100Hz is somehow older generation than "plus" or "advanced" models and older versions have more of those 100Hz side effects. So which way is it? ;)

Have somebody made any investigation on that? :)

cheers, Izzy

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100Hz is just a technology to double the refresh rate.

The extra digital processing that you get is a separate issue.

The digital processing that you got on older 100Hz sets was very often not as good as what you get now. So you are correct in that sense but you need to divorce 100Hz from the digital processing when you talk about it and not blame one on the other and vice versa. It's nothing to do with being "older" or "previous generation".

It's interesting that Sony launched a plain 100Hz set so recently. It's what attracted to me the LS60 in the first place as otherwise I would not have bought a 100Hz set.

It is down to personal preference however. :)

11. df1603

df1603

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I just replaced the LS65 with FX66 after testing few other LS65s in the store with my DVD/NTSC player. I have to say that I haven’t seen so amazed/freaked out sales guys recently when they/ve seen the NTSC problem on all LS65s they had in the store.....

Anyway, I have to admit that FX66 is so much better then LS65 not only with NTSC playback but also over all picture quality. The real test was this morning when watching MSNBC financial news and the scrolling stock bar (the faster one) at the bottom of the screen was clear and visible while on LS65 it was basically unreadable....
    FX66 must have some "improved" digital processing....I guess

After all it was very small $ difference comparing to LS65 but so much more in picture quality. The only problem I see is worse geometry then LS65 and in fact I had to rotate the picture out of the box for up to +2. By the way, is there any way to adjust geometry or shall I call Sony tech support...?

Anyway, the conclusion is that LS65 is obviously another Sony design flaw and if you planning to watch NTSC stay away from that model

12. smoking_gunn

smoking_gunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might wanna visit this site :D :

http://www.kv32tweak.freeuk.com/servicemenu/index.html

'nuff said!

13. Trier

Trier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (This might be "old news", but anyway...:)

Hi there. My first post.

Just to let you to know, that I own the Sony LS65E ("32), and I had that NTSC-problem, which is now fixed.

It is related to the IC-"circuit" (sorry, English is not my native language), which has to be upgrated. I had the version number 2.5 (or something similar) which had the problem, and now it´s 4.2 if I remember correctly, and there´s no problem. You can see the number, if you open the service menu.

What is needed to do, is to open the back of the tv, and just take the "tv-circuit card" out, and then put the new 4.2 IC-circuit in to the "tv-circuit". Man, it´s hard to explain, since I don´t know the right words, but there´s no need to carry the whole tv, just that little thing ("tv-circuit, where is this IC-circuit").

It seems, that this is in all of the LS65 -models, and ONLY with the NTSC-material.

This has to be done via pro service guy/firm of course.

I hope this helps.

The problem IS real, and it can be fixed. No need to change the tv-model.

14. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I haven't logged onto this forum for a while but this topic grabbed my attention for a minute. I have a 28" LS65 with 100Hz and Digital+

I have the same NTSC problem that you guys are mentioning. I don't hold many Reg. 1 titles at home but the few ones I've seen had the exact same problem. The picture tears and breaks in fast scenes where there's a lot of movement going on.

I haven't bothered to figure out how to solve this problem but now that you're mentioning that it CAN be fixed then I'll have to contact the dealer.