Sony KV-32FX68 Wide Modes Clarification Please

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by digitaldave, Jan 20, 2004.

1. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm looking at maybe getting the KV-32FX68 set, but I'm a bit confused about how it handles the different aspect ratios... Most of my viewing will be from a NTL digital cable box, so it will be a mix of 16:9 and 4:3. Also, I will be watching quite a few DVD's, so a mix of 16:9 and 2.35:1 (with some 4:3 from menus and extras I guess). Will the Sony set automatically switch to the correct format that it receives? For example, if watching a 4:3 picture in 4:3 mode, if the picture switches to 16:9, will the set switch to 'wide' mode? And if it reverts back to a 4:3 picture, will the set switch back to 4:3 mode? I saw something using the 'smart' mode (I think that's what it was called), and it didn't look too good, clearly cutting something from the top and bottom of the picture :(.

I hope this makes sense :).

Cheers,

Dave.

2. wibble

wibble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If your model works in the same fashion as my 36fs76 then set it to 4:3 mode and enable automatic size adjustment. Then everytime the set detects a wide screen signal it will expand the dispaly to the whole screen and at the correct aspect ratio and back to a 4:3 ratio on 4:3 program material. Note that not all broadcasters transmit the code to tell your set that a wide screen signal is being broadcast ! (e.g. most of the documentary channels on SKY). A better solution would be compromise and set your set to 14:9 and auto sense to on. Most broadcasters use 14:9 as an intermedary setting to please both 16:9 & 4:3 users. Hope this helps

3. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    wibble,

Thanks for the reply :). It sounds like the automatic size adjustment should do what I'm after. As long as it selects the right aspect ratio, that's what I'm after :). In fact, having thought about it a bit, the DVD player will be on the second RGB SCART, so aspect ratio changes should be easier to manage - I hope :).

Cheers,

Dave.

4. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +588
    Hi Dave,

I have the FX66 model and it indeed does select the correct screen size. I have mine set in WIDE mode and that does the job just fine.

Just so you know i have my Sky box and DVD player set to 16:9