1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV-32FQ75 connections?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by andrewmellor, Dec 17, 2002.

1. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,
    First post, looking for a bit of advice please...

Just purchased a Sony 32" FQ75 and I'm trying to find out how I should best be connecting it up to my Dvd player(single scart till I get a new home cinema setup!) Vcr (twin scart+aerial in/out) and Sky digibox (twin scart+aerial in/out)
    Had a go last night (new telly and all that can't wait!) it managed to find some channels but when playing a Dvd AV1 kicks in and the digibox (plugged in AV2) is still switched on and it ghosts over the dvd image very badly.
    I have aerial in my digibox and out to tv with a scart connecting the Vcr to the digibox

Must add that the scarts are old 'real cheapies' and there seems to be loads of cable at the back of the setup

I have also read a few comments about problems with this model (after a few searches on here) could anybody fill me in with what the issues and resolves are? simplified version please

Hope this makes sense to someone and can offer advice

thanks..Andrew

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I, too, have the same pieces of kit connected to my FQ75.

My connection method is as follows:
    DVD to AV1 with scart cable.
    VCR to AV2 ditto.
    Digibox to AV3 ditto.
    Aerial directly connected to TV.
    VCR to digibox with scart cable.
    Second aerial directly connected to VCR.

All scart leads are good quality (QED, Ixos) and I have no problems with ghosting or cross-talk between sources. An alternative would be to connect the DVD to the digibox and the digibox to AV1 to enable the digibox's RGB output to be used. I tried this but the DVD picture quality was diminished so I reverted to the set-up as above.

As regards the problems with the FQ75, they mainly revolve around scrolling bars moving horizontally when dark scenes are viewed. Personally, I have only seen them on two or three occasions in my nearly three years of ownership. If you don't go looking for them, you will probably not see them. My advice is to enjoy this excellent set and not to go looking for faults.

I hope you find this useful.

3. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Apart from the scrolling bars issue, the Achilles' heel of this set is that only the AV1 scart is RGB-enabled, so you have only one source of top-class picture quality. However, you can solve this by buying an RGB scart splitter that allows you to plug in two sources and then connect to the AV1 scart. Joe Fernand (a member of these forums) at The Media Factory sells them. The only reason I haven't bought one is that you have to switch between sources - the splitter comes with a remote - and I didn't want to bother. But it's probably a good idea if your priority is optimum picture from a variety of sources.

4. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Rolo...thanks for the help, I'll try it tonight and get myself some new cables as soon as. I've seen/heard of 'Ixos' so probably go for them? As for the TV I love it's looks and the picture images I've seen up to now are great, I haven't even begun to play with the settings/features yet!!!

Bernard, thank you for the info....any contact info for him?

Any comments on picture improvement through RGB connections over normal scart? Do the RGB settings need constantly adjusting to suit or is it a 'better' input whatever?
    I've read about scart out to s-video in to the tv, how would that compare?
    Imagine the splitter would be the path to take if significant improvements gained...

Any guide on prices for above?

sorry for all the questions,

Thanks for the help...Andrew

5. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Andrew, sorry I don't have contact details for Joe, but you can do a search for him on these forums and then send him a PM, or look up his website (do a search for themediafactory). According to everybody here who's used his services, he's great. I can't remember exactly how much the splitter was, but seem to recall it was less than £100. RGB scart is definitely preferable to S-video (also the S-video connector's on the front of the set - yuk!).

6. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    An RGB signal is much better than a standard PAL signal and both are sent through a scart lead. I found the RGB output from the digibox to be an improvement on a pretty good PAL one. I don't use it though because I don't want to compromise on the DVD's RGB picture and I fear that a splitter box may degrade the signal. I also prefer simplicity of operation rather than having to make sure all the devices are set-up in advance.

I've found that once the RGB geometry settings are made using the menu, they do not need changing again. I used the THX set-up screens on the 'Pearl Harbor' dvd.

Finally, if you choose to use s-video, I think that inputs AV2&3 will accept that type of signal from a scart lead from, for example, a dvd player. RGB is still superior though IMHO.

7. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Let's be clear that both RGB and "standard" feeds are PAL. The non-RGB connections are composite, certainly an inferior form of feed. I too worried about the splitter degrading the signal, but according to Joe - who I'm sure knows about these things - that doesn't happen with this superior RGB gizmo.

8. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Apologies.

Bernard is quite correct.

My reference to RGB and PAL was simply because those are the output options on my digibox.

Life was so much simpler before I got into these technical terms!

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  10. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andrew,
    am getting an FQ75 delivered on Thursday 2nd Jan.
    Am a little torn as there is conflict between the reviews from 'What Video (best W/S TV under 2k)' and opinions from actual users.

Having had the set a while now, could you let me know how things have gone for you.

I am getting a DVS 550 kit and VCR set up to it.

Any comments would be welcome.

Cheers

Derek

11. Prits

Prits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone

After waiting for a TV stand for over a month, I have just setup my 32FQ75 with SE-820 and digibox and waiting for DAV S550.

My setup is as follows

digibox to AV1
    video to AV2
    digibox to video scart
    TV ariel in TV

the problem i'm having is tuning in the tv to terrestial tv and the video.....the picture is very hazy....is there anything that i have missed?? please advise....

Thanks in advance

12. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is the video connected to the aerial?

Did you use the automatic tuning on the TV? Have you tried the manual tuning/ fine adjustment features? Check the set-up menus in case you've selected something that is not required.

13. Prits

Prits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rolo,

All i have out of the video is the scart from digibox and to tv. I will be a fool for a minute, i have no ariel connection ffrom the video.

I have used the auto setup and manual set up to tune the tv, but still get hazy picture and no C4......

14. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    In the manual adjustment options somewhere, there is the ability to activate an attenuator. If this is activated the signal strength is reduced which can cause a poorer picture (unless your signal is too strong to start with). It may be worth checking that it has not been activated.

We couldn't get a good picture for Channel 4 without having a better aerial. Did you have one before the new TV?

15. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Everyone,
    I ended up getting some Ixos141 scart cables and the problem was still there (keep telling myself the picture was better though after spending 100 quid on them!!)so after getting the engineer out he saw how bad the problem was and has ordered a new Jboard as the signals are crossing over between AV1/2 when whatever is plugged into them is powered up. They also have ordered a 'modified' version of Jboard which is supposed to fix the scrolling bars issue which I do think I have but it's only noticable on jet black background.
    This part is on order (3 weeks now!) so looking forward to it being fitted soon.
    This issue aside I'm very happy with the TV and the pictures are brilliant (compared to the Tosh it replaced) with brightly coloured pictures especially standing out when watching sky through RGB from digibox (I too have crap arial reception) I still find myself pointing out what a great picture it is to the wife such is the clarity and vividness of some images.
    One thing I have noticed is that the factory pre-sets (movie/live etc) seem to be set dark and we always use the personal setting with the brightness and colour pushed up but when watching DVD the pictures always seem too dark and we can't seem to get the picture that good (bright) at all really....I'm still not sure if this is the TV or the player as I have only used an old PanasonicRV20 and a recently purchased Mico sofia02 (89quid from sainsburys) so both are bottom end players but I'm still a little reluctant to go out and spend more money on a player in case this is a TV issue
    Does anybody else know if cheaper players would tend to playback darker images or anyone had issue with dark playback on this set?
    Phew...out of steam after typing that lot!!
    Any help advice greatly appreciated
    Thanks...Andrew