Sony KV-28LS60 problems

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by iang, Oct 21, 2002.

1. iang

iang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the KV-28LS60 after reading a review saying how good the set was. When installed along with my Sky digibox and Panasonic video, I noticed that when the Sky TV guide was on, the dark blue bar at the bottom of the screen curved upwards in the middle. I then checked terrestial teletext (in case it was due to the digibox) and found the same problem. It can also be seen if there is a straight line showing in a TV programme/film. It went back to the vendor for their engineer to look at - no fault found. Sony said it could be down to radiators/electrical goods etc near the set, but the only things near it are in the stand as said above. I have spoken to a friend who is a registered Sony engineer who said that the set is within spec, but admitted that he could see the problem.

I would appreciate any help given as I think the set is otherwise great, if only for this problem.

2. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    I've got the same sort of problem with my 32LS60 with the screen bending downwards. When I phoned Sony about this, they said the screen should be straight with no bend at all.

Get onto your retailer and get a replacement that you're entitled to.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will always get some sort of geometrical imperfection on widescreen TV tubes. It's a question of degree. An engineer (or your Sony mate) may be able to improve it using the service menu. If not, reject the set and get a replacement. You will no doubt find another geometrical imperfection with the new set, but you may be able to tolerate it more than the one on your current set.

Sony and other manufacturers will always say that everything should be absolutely straight - but I have yet to see any w/s TV with perfect geometry.

And yes, even I have some minor bending on my LS60 (bottom right-hand corner) ;)

4. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    Minor bending I can live with but when the whole of the bottom of the screen is bowing, it's a bit off-putting to say the least.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes of course - if it's annoying, then get a replacement - that's why I said it's a question of degree and tolerance. It's just that perfection doesn't exist, that's the point I was trying to make. For perfect geometry you need a flat panel display.

Something I wish I'd done in the past ... if it's at all possible, try and quickly turn on your replacement set and check the geometry on it before they take the other set away. That way, you'll be able to compare the two there and then and take it from there.

6. iang

iang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.
    The curve goes from side to side, not just in the corner. Even though I logged this problem the day after installation and they had it for a week, the Vendor won't exchange because as far as they and Sony are concerned there is no fault! What was that about the service menu, and how do you get to it? Do you think it might help?