1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY KV-28HX15U General help plse

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ami nuttall, May 24, 2005.

1. ami nuttall

ami nuttall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought this model a few weeks ago , and the quality of picture is excellent. The sound is also good, though I cant compare it to much, and Im not blasting the sound thru any speakers .

Anyway , I have 2 small queries I hope somebody can help me with ....

Can I somehow use my Sky remote to change the channels / volume on the TV ? I used to be able to do this on my old tv , by just pressing the 'TV' button on the Sky remote, but this seems to have no effect (it does work to change Sky channels ok still). The only button I can see on the Sony remote that may not be on Sky , is the ability to flip between widescreen etc.

Also , I have my DVD player plugged directly into the AV1 port. However , I cant seem to get it to show on the standard list of channels (eg 1=BBC1 2=BBC2 6=video player etc), so have to press the small button below the 'power off on' on the remote to see whats playing on the DVD player if toggling between the channels. Should I be able to set it up as a Standard channel ?

A final thought ...why are scart cables so big and long ? Is everybodys back of their tvs a cable junction? This tv has a place to put cables , behind a flimsy piece of card, but its packed solid , so much so Im scared the cables will get hot , so switch all my appliances off at night !

Thanks in advance for any help :hiya:

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,936
    When you got Sky installed originally the installer as part of his job coded the remote control to operate the basic functions of the Tv you were using at the time.
    You now have a different make and you have to put the code for this one into the remote........for Sony it is usually 0000 (4 zero's)
    To setup the Sky Remote press the "Tv" key then press and hold together the red and select keys until the red led blinks twice, press "Tv" again then enter the four digits 0000. The led should blink twice, press the standby key.......if your Tv switches to standby press select again to memorise the code.

The Dvd player does not show up in the standard channels list because you do not receive it in the same way (through the Tv's tuner which selects signals from the aerial).
    That small button you are pressing is the "AV" button and this selects the scart sockets which your external equipment is connected to (in this case the DVD player)

As far as the scart cables are concerned you are in the same boat as everyone else who has modern equipment.......these are the way you get high quality signals to/from each piece of gear.
    Do not worry about them overheating as the signals they carry are low-level and are definitely not a fire risk, by all means unplug the Tv at night but it is better to leave the sky box plugged in to the mains at all times and just switched to standby when not in use.
    Hope this helps,
    John. :smashin:

3. ami nuttall

ami nuttall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jay , many thanks for the quick reply.
    I have tried you rinstructions, but nothing seems to be happening. Just to be clear , first of all, do I do all the instructions on the Sky or TV remote ? (There is no button labelled 'select' on the TV one , so I assume you mean the SKy one).
    You mention the red led - do you mean on the TV set itself ? (As if standy by mode).

Thanks for the advice on the DVD and cables. Id like to know how many people have 1.5m between scart connectors on your DVD and TV ! If so , you must have a great big high cabinet ! :eek:

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,936
    This is all done on the Sky remote, the red led is the one on the Sky remote

5. ami nuttall

ami nuttall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jaycee - Im getting closer ! I get to the point of having put in the 4 x 0's and the little red led flashes, almost instanly, twice. If I then press 'standby' the TV does go into standby (so I assume its now picking up some sort of signal) . However , if I press select , or try and press standby to switch back it on, nothing happens. For a horrible moment I thought Id bugg&rd up my TV , but the TV remote still switches it back on ok (phew !)

Plse advise further ... cheers

6. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,936
    Everything is correct up to where you say "the TV does go into standby".
    At this point pressing "Select" memorises this 0000 code as being the correct one..........the TV will not switch back on with the "select" or "stby" button but should switch on if you press a number button. i.e. if you press "3" the TV should switch on with prog 3.
    The Sky remote is only designed to operate the basic TV functions like volume, channel change, mute and standby, try it and report back.
    Good luck.