1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV-28HX15 front facia warped

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by moof, Jan 26, 2005.

1. moof

moof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

My KV-28HX15 was delivered this afternoon. I've just opened the box and found the plastic surround on the front is not flush with the screen. There is about a good 5mm gap on the bottom! I can push on it and it closes up, but when I release my fingers, it springs back open. Nothing is unhooked or popped out. It's just bad workmanship.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was on the top as you probably wouldn't see it and there'd be less chance of dust falling in.

Does anyone else have a front facia that is not flush?
    What are my chances of getting a relacement? The TV was bought from Comet online.

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are there any stress lines/cracks? Sounds like it's been dropped or isn't on the stand correctly.......

3. moof

moof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply DRGL,

I've only "slid" the tv out from the box and peeled back the plastic covering around the front. From what I can see, there are no stress lines or cracks in the plastic. The surrounds do flex a bit but not enough to close the gap.

4. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have known this before when a TV was placed on an uneven surface, sounds like this may have been the case in the box!
    Its up to you, if you TV is working ok, if you felt confident you could just glue it inplace. It may be easier than trying to return the TV, but if its not upto scratch what would Comet say if you tried to return it with glue on the edge.
    Nigel

5. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Send it straight back. You shouldn't have to put up with that.

6. moof

moof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point nig28. Perhaps if it were not sitting correctly for some period of time in the box then maybe it could have caused the warped front.
    I don't really want to attempt to fix it. I'd rather send it back as is and as mrtbag says get a new one. It hasn't even been turned on
    I'll give Comet customer services a call today.

7. moof

moof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I give you all an update. Although I haven't called Comet yet, I have been into their store as well as Curry's to look at their HX15's.

The local Comet store didn't have any HX15's on display, but found similar Sony 28" and 32" models (sorry, can't remember the model numbers) which also have front bezels which do nt sit flush with the glass. What's happening with quality control these days??? My 7 year old Sony 25" is as solid as they come.

Same thing with Curry's. They did have an HX15 on display and it too was not flush against the glass, but a bit better than mine.

On another note, I popped open the carton again this afternon to have another look and the gap is smaller. Whilst not flush, it is smaller. As I mentioned in a post above, there is some flex in the TV casing which, depending on how the TV is positioned, alters the size of the gap.

Are there any HX15 owners out there that whish to comment?

8. timbo_bobcat

timbo_bobcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I noticed something a bit similar when my HX15 was either still in the box or just out of it. By the time it was set up on the stand properly, the gap had gone.

Hope this helps.

9. moof

moof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not using the supplied stand, but it sits on a TV cabinet. It's much better there than it was on the floor.

10. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Hello there, I would never of thougt of looking for a gap till I read this thread, My KV15 also has a small gap between the middle of the bottom plastic and the screen just above the Sony badge, as the plastic goes along it gets flush with the screen again. I have the proper stand for the telly as well and I'm pretty sure I put it together good enough. Must be a design fault as I know mine wasn't dropped but the gap isn't very noticeable and the telly works fine. I would say the gap is only 2 to 3 mill though and I didn't look at it before I put it on the stand so can't say if it was bigger.

11. Shwing

Shwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Moof.

I had exactly the same problem with my Toshiba 32" screen when I got it delivered a few months ago. I discovered it the second I took it out of the box.

HOWEVER ...

As soon as I placed it on it's stand, and secured it correctly, the gap disappeared!!
    I now realise that all tvs must be designed like this in relation to relieving stress levels on the casing whilst in transit. As soon as it's setup, it becomes taut again - makes sense really.

Hope this helps.

Mark