• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Sony KV-28FX66U Resolution

aekostas

Hi,

Can somebody explain the following to me. I have a laptop connected with S-Video to a CRT. I had an older Trinitron and the resolution available to me was (from memory) 768 × 576. When this died, I bought a s/h KV-28FX66U. When I plugged the same laptop using the same cable to it, it offered me (only, so nothing less than) 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768, which I took.

It works a treat. I see a real difference in the estate; previously the menus etc on the PC were huge and clicking Start->All Programs caused a message that not all applications can be shown; this has now disappeared.

I am surprised at this; I thought CRTs only did standard PAL resolution and S-Video is limited to 480. How is this explained?

Thanks in advance!

bonzobanana

s-video can only carry SD images be it pal or ntsc and that is a maximum 720x576 interlaced for widescreen pal I think. There is no sensing of information the laptop can get from a s-video connection so not sure why the resolution has changed but what ever resolution you choose it will be downscaled to suit a SD TV. Your tv will only be capable of displaying a maximum of 720x288 per field just like all over conventional widescreen CRT tvs. 4:3 aspect sets are limited to 640x288 per field.

aekostas

s-video can only carry SD images be it pal or ntsc and that is a maximum 720x576 interlaced for widescreen pal I think. There is no sensing of information the laptop can get from a s-video connection so not sure why the resolution has changed but what ever resolution you choose it will be downscaled to suit a SD TV. Your tv will only be capable of displaying a maximum of 720x288 per field just like all over conventional widescreen CRT tvs. 4:3 aspect sets are limited to 640x288 per field.

Many thanks for this. I checked again yesterday (see picture); the only options available to me are 800x600 and 1024x768.

Attachments

• 01022009016.jpg
    01022009016.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 152

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom