1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV 28/32FQ75 and KV-36FS70 Focus Issue

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Woodman, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Woodman

Woodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the scrolling bars thread I said I'd seen the left-side focus issues on the 32FQ75 when looking to buy in John Lewis.

I mentioned the feedback from this forum to a broadcast engineering colleague of mine. He's had a look on Sony's website for official Sony technical service reps and has come up with a technical bulletin issued on 28.12.01 as follows:

Ref. No: TV06601

Model: KV-28FQ75A, B, D, E, U, KV-29FQ75A, D, E, K, KV-32FQ75A, B, D, E, U, KV-34FQ75A, D, K, KV-36FS70, KV-36FS70K

Subject: Focus Unbalanced

Symptom: Focus unbalance on EPG in PAP mode

Solution: Replace the following parts on the D1 and D boards (it then lists 10 components).

Readjust the focus for balance where required.

This bulletin was issued by:

Sony Service Centre (Europe)
    European Service Engineering
    Technologielaan 7
    B - 1840 Londerzeel

I hope this helps.

By the way, I'm STILL thinking of buying this TV. I must be mad.

2. baldy2

baldy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, Woodman!

Could you please post which components need to be replaced on those boards?

Maybe... ;) If you haven't got the focus issues and the scrolling bar problem is finally solved it will be a great television.

Ron

3. Woodman

Woodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi baldy2,

Here's the first page of the document. It gives you the info on components. Page 2 has 3 photos of the position of the components on the boards and what looks like a stock/fault code table. Let me know if you want this page too.

My colleague is going to see what he can find out about scrolling bars from the same website. I'll let you know if he finds anything.

Attached Files:

4. baldy2

baldy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, please... I'd like the whole document including photos.
    My e-mail address is: svz DOT rhb AT planet DOT nl

That'll be great!
    Thanks, Woodman! :)

Ron

5. Mark Hoepfl

Mark Hoepfl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Woodman,

If you could please email me all the photos and details it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark Hoepfl

hoepfl.mark@emeryworld.com

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My FQ75 suffered from exactly the same focus issue, and having researched on here I asked the repairer to do the fix you mention... However, when the set was returned, the focus on the left was perfect and the middle looked awful!

I refused to accept the tv, and insisted more work should be done. The repairer then contacted Sony, and they are convinced that the focus balance cannot be improved any further. I'm not sure this is true, but since the retailer (HoF) has offered a different set, I can't be bothered to argue any more.

Anyway, the moral here is that this particular focus fix isn't 100% effective. Maybe my repairer did a bad job (apparently it is a very fiddly job, and requires 'blanket soldering' of a whole board) but I can't tell that.

Mark.