1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KP61-PS1 or PS2???? need HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by compusolve, Jun 7, 2001.

1. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just seen the Sony KP61-PS1 in a large shopping mall near Bristol. Ever since I have been working out ways in which to pay for it.

I had just bought a Sharp projector and 2m screen, but not fully happy, so purchased a Sony DPL-CS2, of which the sharp was the best but little contrast.

This TV seems to have it all, the pictures on a toy story dvd were the best I have ever seen, I currently have a Sony 41" S3U set, but this took my breath away awesome.

The requirement for help is, Sony have just produced thier catalogue for this year, the PS1 is in it, however Sony dealers have on thier books a PS2 available in September, I have tried contacting Sony and looking at thier web site to no avail. The only site with a TV that looks like an upgrade is the middle-east Sony site.

I have been told that the PS2 is silver (ugh)
    like the 50" Vega. The middle east one shows dual tuners and component conections,

Could someone please clarify what the difference will be between the PS1 and the PS2?

If thier isnt much difference, I know about playback of NTSC 16.9, I will buy now at £3080 inculding delivery, I hate SILVER TV's.

Regards

Garry

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Digiman ]

2. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry no answer, but thought id resurrect this thread as i have the exact same query

Mike

3. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was interested in this set, but can someone clarify something for me

Is it true that the 16:9 mode DOESNT work for NTSC material?

If so then this must be one of the most bizarre "features" of any set as it effectively cripples it as a home cinema piece of kit.

I've decided to buy a Tosh 56 widescreen set rather than the Sony and wondered if the forthcoming 61PS2 had corrected this.

The answer would be somewhat academic as I cant afford to stretch to a sony set but would be interested in finding out

thanks

Duncan

4. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PS2 is the one to go for it has won the awar in HOme Entertainment magazine? It has a fantastic picture snd the sound isnt bad either. Yes it is silver but it really does look the part.

As for the NTSC worries. It does play NTSC, however there is apparently some loss of quality. This can be fixed however quite easily by ammending the settings in the service menu. For more information ask Simon JOhnso who appears on here from time to time. Ask him a) how to access service menu b) how to improve NTSC pictures c) whether these settings affect PAL discs or you can leave them

I really would go for PS2 its lovely

5. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah it has to do ntsc in letterbox apprently, i just wondered if it was sorted on the ps2. I also see 100hz all over reviews for the ps1 but no mention on the ps2.

Im still thinking of reordering the tosh as its a nice set.

I saw a sony rpj in currys in silver and it looked very sexy, think it was a 44" widescreen.

Im just trying to get hispek to do a 0% apr deal but they arent very helpful, coz 3k is nothing to them i guess

Mike

6. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    KP-61ps2
    DRC_MF(100hz)1250 lines
    Digital auto convergence
    Dynamic p+p,P+t
    Three scarts(no component)