1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KP44PX3 how good is it?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Master_M6, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Master_M6

Master_M6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am right now looking into buying this Tv and I would like to get some input from those that own one allready.

What good/bad sides are there with it?

Are you 100% happy with it or would you recomend me another one in the same price class?
    I am kind of new to all this with TVs but I am learning all I can before I am to buy one, so if anyone has any kind of tips of some sort then that would be great.

2. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I've had one of these for nearly 2 weeks now, and the image quality is stunning. My better-half even commented that she thought it was better than a friends plasma display. :thumbsup:

Having said that it has not been without it's problems - see the thread I started "KP44PX3 Problems" (sorry, didn't know how to post the thread URL). I would also have to say that if you want to watch alot of sport then this may not be the right set - the advanced digital motion has a tendancy (spelling?) to make fast moving objects look a bit strange, ie: footballs, etc, but I use mine mainly for home cinema - who wouldn't, a cracking 44" picture for under £1500!

I know from a reply I had on the other thread that there are definately sets out there without any of the issues I've had, and mine is being replaced within the week for a new one, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed all will be OK with that.

I think suffice to say that if I had to have the set replaced with a different model, despite the issues I would be a bit gutted, like I said - the picture is stunning. The colours are pin sharp, and there is no smearing/bleed.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

3. ruhe

ruhe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    Thankyou for the reply. I am also looking at/researching this one right now, but haven't had the opportunity to see it properly demoed yet.

Can you turn the digital motion off when watching football, then? How does the picture look without it?

And one more thing, where is the auto-convergence button on the PX3, on the right side under a flap like the PX2? The one in the store was
    -totally out of focus ( this is the reason I ask about the button )
    -fed with composite splitted signal
    -lit up with flourescent light armature
    -no chair to sit in to get the right viewing angle
    - A salesman that didn't know "jack squat"

i.e. they obviously had no interest in selling these to people :lesson:

Cheers!

4. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Guys,

Yes - you can adjust the picture from "advanced digital motion" to "digital plus" - this did seem to make a difference. It's difficult to describe the effect of the advanced setting. Overall the only differences I saw were that scrolling text (sky sports news) wasn't as good without it, but it didn't seem to make a difference to the quality of images though. What the advanced setting does do with the footie etc is make it look like things aren't moving correctly - kinda like the image of the ball is being left behind, as well as being in front of the actual object - like a blurring.

With regards to the convergence I didn't have to adjust mine. I setup the picture with the Ultimate DVD Platinum - Home cinema setup disc, and the convergence was spot on, but yes - the auto button is on the flap on the right hand side.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

5. ruhe

ruhe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    Thanks Blasthand. One thing I notice in the specs is that contrary to other RPTV brands, it lacks both internal de-interlacing ( Toshiba )and component input ( with prog scan, Thomson). However, this doesn't seem to be an issue, the few reviews I found are still very positive. Maybe the Picture Power does something similar to having progressive scan regarding de-interlacing artifacts ( panning jerkiness and so forth )? Or the fact of having 100hz together with the fact that CRT isn't affected by an interlaced picture as LCDs? I am a little confused regarding these points as I am arriving from the LCD projector camp where progressive scan and/or good de-interlacing is vital. :confused:

BR//Ruhe

6. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Blasthand i had a Sony Wega Tv for a few weeks and that advanced motion setting was a disgrace...left fast moving objects pixellated. If you want an example of what i mean try watching Any Given Sunday (American Football movie) when they are training half way through the movie, the picture breaks up on mulitple levels. Even with out Advanced motion i found digital plus to look strange at times in terms of motion. This wasn't to mention the tv being incompatiable with my pioneer dvd player with surround sound built in. Sound was out of sync by 1/4 sec, no way of correcting it. Sound was even out of sync when i put a pair of ear phones in! The model i had was a 36 and it was a standard CRT tv. Sony technicain questioned Sony about the pixelation with advanced motion switched on and in their defence that said it was only meant to be switched on whening viewing photgraphs using the memeory stick socket that the tv had. What a cop out!

7. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ruhe,

I'm afraid I can't comment on the de-interlacing/progressive scan (excuse my lack of knowledge!). My dvd player is a DVP-S535 which I've had for about 4 years, (very good too I might add) but this was way before progressive scan etc? Having said that - a brief description of them would be good to know :)

With regard to Flyingbig's comments I have had no issues as far as sound go. I think the best thing if you want to test one out is to go down and see one...take a dvd player and decent connection, setup the picture and see what you think - that way at least you can have a look at the picture with regard to the digital motion/digital plus. I did notice that using the advanced digital motion could make movement seem a bit "un-natural" though, but I haven't seen this with digital-plus setting. What I have noticed is that scenes of cgi nature do seem to be a little jerky when panning, but for me the image quality outweighs any of these possible issues.

You might want to have a look at the thread I started "KP44PX3 Problems", just to see what you could come across when looking at one though. (mine is being replaced hopefully next Wednesday)

I think it all comes down to personal taste at the end of the day. As ayreshiredude said to me on another thread - "I think all sets have their own set of problems, it's a matter of deciding which ones you can live with"

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

8. ruhe

ruhe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    Progressive scan is when the whole picture is drawn at one time, line by line. Interlaced is when every other one is displayed and this is then repeated. The frequency is double the frame rate, i.e. 50 times /second for PAL and 60 for NTSC.
    Here's a couple of links:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

http://www.100fps.com/

I went to see the 44PX3 yesterday again. To make the story short I got the salesman to turn on anamorphic output on the DVD-player and we watched the opening scenes of 2 fast 2 furious. The input was s-video via the scart socket I am pretty sure, as I don't believe their hub/splitter would do RGB. I got pretty tired from crouching all the time to get a decent vertical viewing angle. The picture was extremely good. It was so good it made it look like video-recording if you know what I mean. Everything was very vivid. This could have been due to the noise reduction, since "film effect" is really noise. I should have tried to turn the noise reduction off to see if this was the case.

I was very impressed with this set.

The viewing angle allowed sideways is very generous, and I experienced the picture as evenly lit up. The salesman, who had limited knowledge, told me they hadn't calibrated or tweaked anything. Before he arrived, I had done the automatic convergence tuning on the set ( it looked the same, so I believe the convergence was good right from factory ). Of course I would have needed a calibration disc to see how good it really was.

I have now ordered the Gladiator DVD, which is supposed to be harsh to the new technology regarding de-interlacing artifacts, etc.

All in all, I would say: Extreme bang for the buck!! :thumbsup:

9. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ruhe,

Had a small tweak with my set last night. Just turned the noise reduction on to high (was set to auto) and enabled the advanced digital motion again. The noise reduction seemed to make a big difference to the picture. Are there any detrimental effects of leaving it on high? Anyway, the picture was much improved (not that it was anywhere near bad before!) It also seemed to go a long way to correcting the pixellation FlyingBig mentions with fast moving objects, and seemed to make panning shots much smoother.

I've now had it confirmed that my set is being replaced this coming Wednesday, and I've also ordered a new DVD player, the Sony DVP-NS585.

Here's hoping that my replacement set is fault free, and this combined with the new prog-scan dvd player should result in an excellent viewing experience. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

10. ruhe

ruhe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    What I've seen on the forums is that DNR together with ADM can clog the processors on some normal CRT TVs from Sony that also have picture power. Those users have been recommended to use digital plus instead of ADM.

The 44PX3 doesn't support prog scan and component input, so what you want to make sure is that your scart from the DVD outputs RGB and not S-vhs.

My good old 28" has recieved a great boost to picture quality, especially on digital channels, due to my new set-top decoder box outputting RGB through the SCART.

I am probably just a few weeks away from purchasing the 44PX3 now! The lowest price has come down to the equivalent of 1260 GBP here in Sweden transport included.

11. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ruhe,

Cheers for the tip re the DNR and ADM. I'll make sure the DVD player is set to RGB as per my current setup of course :)

Let me know when you get your set and how you get on with it. Once I've had mine replaced on Wednesday I'll post here with an update on any issues I get (hopefully none!)

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

12. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "What I've seen on the forums is that DNR together with ADM can clog the processors on some normal CRT TVs from Sony that also have picture power. Those users have been recommended to use digital plus instead of ADM"

Yup this bloke has it spot on. I am almost sure thats what was up with my Sony 36" Wega. Wasn't pleased and the sound lagging behind (or the image was lagging behind the audio, not sure which) was just too much to take after forking out nearly 2 grand.

To add to this post isnt the rear projection tv mentioned in this post meant to suffer from smearing?

13. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Having a look at the smear-fix thread the issue affects the PX2. Certainly I haven't seen this problem with my set, and by all acounts it's supposed to be very noticeable if you have it.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

14. Nocturne

Nocturne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the px3, great looking set & pic to match, but imho rptv's are very poor with footie, the pitch tends to look like a lush green carpet, buy yourself a cheap crt & leave the r/p for superb dvd home cinema.

15. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have to agree with the last comment. Having had a KP44PX3 now for 2 weeks and tweaking settings etc I've come to the same conclusion. It is pants for watching any kind of sport - but as far as home cinema goes it's the dogs danglies :D

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

16. ruhe

ruhe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmmm, I'll have to check out just how bad it is, and bring a sports DVD to the store. Just how bad is "pants" regarding football, can you not see the ball, or is the grass not looking good or what?

I see in your earlier post that the football looks "strange" but do you deem it unwatchable?

It would be hard for me to accomodate my old TV in the living room just for football.

As I wrote in the earlier post, this RPTV seems to be very much "bang for the buck", with regards to PQ and screen-size, taking up less depth than a 32" normal WS TV. I don't want to go plasma yet. I want to go plasma ( or LCOS ) in 3-4 years. That is when I will buy a 1920*1080 resolution plasma/LCOS to watch HDTV for about the same price as this set! :thumbsup:

17. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ruhe,

This is indeed a superb set for home cinema, and as you rightly say - mucho bang for ya buck!

As far as the sport goes I've only formulated this opinion over the last couple of days having played around with the settings. Anything that involves a fast moving round object is compromised. The ball seems to have a sort of blurring effect...if you can imagine the actual ball in the middle, and then behind it you have an almost second image of the left edge of the ball as you look at the screen, and ditto in front - it's kinda like a blurring effect, at least that's how I see it.

Having said that this can be dampened down by changing the 100hz setting from the ADM to Digital plus. I think the best way to check it out would be to ask the shop to play some sort of sport channel if they have access. I honestly don't know if sport on DVD would reflect this, but I note Flyingbig's comments from an earlier post re American footy DVD. I really can't say what it would be like to watch a footy match on it as I don't subscribe to any sport channels.

Motor racing on the other hand was completely the other way around. I'm a big fan of the motorcycling GP's and found this had a better picture with the ADM turned on, as a pose to the Digital plus.

If you're a big sports fan I would recommend a normal CRT - imho still the best picture out there for anything bar large screen home cinema setups. I guess it's about finding a good compromise if you want sport and home cinema - not something I could really comment on as I've had an rptv for 3+ years now - but that's because home cinema is my main hobby, and I want a big screen! :D

Really hope this helps you in one way or another :)

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

18. Nocturne

Nocturne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 43" Hitachi, 100hz, progscan, whatever mode or tweaks cannot sort the football out, as Blasthand says, the ball, esp if its a long goal kick or longshot tends to become a vague blurr & the pitch well lets say the best groundsman could not sort that out! I was disappointed at first, but I quickly got over it when watching DVD movies & even day to day sky broadcasts.
    Your right with plasma, imho the prices (though in freefall at the mo!) & the pics are just not right yet & you will get a lot of set for your money there. I am awaiting delivery of a Sony kf50sx300 but I dont expect it to be any better at footie, I have bought a budget 28" w/s crt for that (under £200 & I have to say, a great pic!) whatever you choose good luck!

19. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    No problems with football on my KP44 PS2 using DRC 50. Although forget about watching it via digital as invariably the Bit rate is just to Low. Skysports sometimes gives you enough bandwidth but ITV & BBC via Sky just dont give enough. Analogue is fine though

20. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well,

Had my replacement KP44PX3 delivered yesterday...and unfortunately it this one also suffers from the same very bad streaking issue as the first set. I've posted an update on the "KP44PX3 Problems" thread if peeps wanna have a look there.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.