1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony kp44px2

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mickey, Feb 1, 2003.

1. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    hi guys,
    been reading this forum a couple of weeks now and think it is really informative.Now for my question, after being the unhappy owner of 3 different 36zt29b,s all with different problems ,the last one being the dreaded grey bars but really prominent,golf and football were unwatchable even after trying the suggestions in a couple of other threads about setup of col/con/ dnr etc,I have come to the decision i am not prepared to accept another one.So my big question is after a couple of weeks of searching the shops to see some options in the skin (so to speak), my prefered choice looks like it will be the sony kp44px2 ,I know a couple of you own this set and wondered if you are still happy with the set after the 2 week settling in period as i like to call it.(most people dont find faults with new equipment till after this time:) )so any info and advice would be appreciated, cheers guys

2. petergeorge72

petergeorge72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Mickey,

I too was an unhappy 36ZT owner who decided to go for the Sony PX2 and I'm very happy with it. The only niggle I have with the TV is that I can occasionally see some colour seepage on bright colours... especially reds. For example, bright red lettering on a white background shows slight upward colour bleed. Basically, the colour isn't perfectly contained within the lettering.

However, this is only very slight and you might not even notice it (I'm a bit of a perfectionist!), and it's nothing like the dreaded 'dark sides' on the Tosh.

Despite this the KP44PX2 still gets a thumbs up :smashin: and is one of the best rear projection TV's on the market... go for it!

Pete.

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yip, what pete said. Ive had mine as few months now and still love it

shaun:smashin:

4. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    thnx guys , i,m a bit of a perfectionist myself to an extent (or in my wifes terms "a fussy g!t" but the tosh just had too many faults , not just the bars thingy, so kp44px2 it is then:smashin: will let ya know what i think when it arrives:D

5. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    hi guys just thought i,d let you know my opinions of the kp44px2, been using it a few days now. 1st thing is picture quality is all down to the source ,dvds are awesome, as good if not better than any tv I have ever owned.but fed a weak source i:e sky low bitrate feed and obviously with the size you can pick up all digital artifacts/faults. sound is surprisingly good straight from the box without my h/cinema system hooked up. Now i have noticed two things that irk me at the moment one is the brightness is far too high with the teletext, the text almost makes my eyes water and the live and cinema settings I find unusable, being left with only the personal setting left open to me, which is too much hassle to turn the brightness up/down depending on which source I am watching , the other is it all seems slightly out of focus to me, I dont know if this is the same thing as the soft picture I have read on other threads.

btw i watched the liverpool football match and never had any smearing problems that i read about on another thread either

6. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mickey

mine does not look out of focus at all. HAve you tried the auto convergence yet??? teletext is bright but I rarley use it. I have mine on personel setting and its a little darker than the movie setting.
    cheers
    shaun

7. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    hi shaun,
    yes i have used the auto convergence a couple of times doesnt make any difference to the actual overall focus of the picture ,what worries me more now is the fact that you say yours does not look out of focus at all, this one is definately not a sharp picture. definately looks soft. will play with it for a while longer before seeking pro advice i think.:rolleyes:

8. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    turn the sharpness up too.!!!! that will help focus

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you do a 60-odd point convergence? -instead of the auto convergence?

Nathan

10. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    only if you are brave enough to venture into the serive menu:rolleyes:

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess he'll need to do it- my Toshiba user level convergence looked ok- all nine crosshairs are lined up.

However when I went into service menu 60 point the grids in-between the standard 9 crosses were way out.

After converging- much better!- mate noticed as well, more sharper picture, with no 3D effect on subtitles/credits etc.

I know this thread is about Sony RP, but all RP's require the full convergence.

12. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    "convergenence" isnt the problem the convergence is spot on. the picture just looked soft, but after shaune,s suggestion I sussed out if I adjusted the sharpness from the normal aerial feed(non rgb) it would affect the rgb picture as well, since you couldn,t adjust sharpness if you were using an rgb feed, cheers for all your help guys:smashin:
    BTW picture rocks now!!!!:D :D :D

13. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    glad its sorted out now. enjoy:)

14. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    oops:zonked: :zonked: :D

15. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    mickey,

What are DVD images from a new film like on this set, i.e Black Hawk Down, LOTR, Episode 2 and so on.
    Does the 100hz option leave the picture looking unnatural or is pin sharp?

Interested in the same set.

Thanks,

Captain Benefit.

16. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant comment on Mickeys set but I watched Black Hawk down just the other night. It was brilliant. Perfect in every respect. Just as good if not better than the 3 sony crt tvs I had previous

shaun:smashin:

17. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    the picture on dvds is awesome watched signs the other day and you could pick out the texture on the broken corn leaves as gibson steps on them in his check pants!:rotfl: , I now love this tv as long as no major faults turn up i will be keeping it ,wipes the floor with both the strata,s I had.:smashin:

18. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Sony NTSC Progressive capable?

My Toshiba 42PW23P isn't. wah!