1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY KP44PX2 & XBOX compatibility

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ajbm325ic, Sep 26, 2003.

1. ajbm325ic

ajbm325ic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buying either an XBOX or a PS2 and was wondering if anyone is using either of these consoles with the same TV or other RPTV, if so any problems with picture, screenburn etc.
    What is the best type of connections to use as it will be permanently connected to the tv (which currently has all its scarts utilised) and also to my AV amp.
    Whilst i'm at it, XBOX or PS2 for driving, platform, shootem ups.

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Well. this could start a 'flame' war mentioning which is better XBOX or PS2 :)...

I had an Tosh 46WH08 RPTV, followed by the 50WH18B, and I can tell you that the PS2 when blown up to these sizes is nowhere near as good as an XBOX.

For starters the problem is small detail, trees, etc and to some extent the main graphics, they just look bitty, and this is horrible. The problem with the PS2 is that it does not have any anti-aliasing, and little bi-linear/trilinear filtering, which all helps to smooth these things out.. (This was connected via RGB)..

The XBOX has all the features of a PC video card, anti-aliasing, and bi/tri linear filtering. It looks much more realistic when blown up. Like the PS2, you can get an RGB Scart, which is the better way to connect it.

For driving games/platform etc I think most consoles are pretty much even nowadays, all the major games are out on all platforms, Burnout 2, Italian Job, Colin Mcrae 3/4, and there are some platform specific, like Gran Turismo (PS2), Project Gotham Racing (XBOX). Platform games are similar, and FPS games are as well, they all have their big titles (HALO is amazing).. etc...

The main difference is the graphcis ability, the XBOX is much more powerful, and has a higher polygon count, with more effects in more games... I mean the least quality you will get is a straight port of the PS2 game, so it ends up being the same as the PS2 game, the best is a game built ground up for the XBOX, which can be stunning..

figure in the built in HDD, proper dolby digital 5.1 sound in the games, etc then it seems an easy choice.... there are now more games then anyone can afford for both, and chipping/modding is rife!!

As for RPTV usage..

Connect the console via RGB Scart, the XBOX can do HDTV, but the RPTV you mentioned does not support this, so its out the question.

well, screen burn is the same as per any CRT set, but I always tend to turn the contrast way down, and the brightness up slightly for games, as this allows you see into the darker areas, (The opposite to how you want a TV set up for film DVD's).. and this alone helps reduce the chance of screen burn..

I played HALO/Project Gotham Racing for 4-6 hours some days, and never had a problem, if you played the same game 4 hours a day for 6 months, I dare say you may get some screen burn, but generally people rotate their gameplay between games...

3. ajbm325ic

ajbm325ic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much, XBOX it is then, this has answered almost everything. Only problem is connectivity,
    TV has 2 x RGB scart (Cable box and DVD) and 1 normal scart (Video), all permanently connected. Can i route my DVD or Video scart through my cable box i.e. to free up a RGB scart connection on my TV?

Thanks again,

Andy.

-------------------------
    Sony KP44PX2
    Sony DVPNS700 DVD
    Yamaha DSPAX620
    Eltax Liberty 5 speakers
    Eltax Sub 8
    Telewest Pace cable box

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't the Xbox have Component out? If it has I'll consider a CRT RP with Component inputs.

5. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. ajbm325ic

ajbm325ic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Boddyfodder, I already have the Sony RPTV so thanks for the link for the cables, i will invest in one of these.
    Nathan, I chose the TV for the excellent picture quality and modern looks, whilst comparing it to many other RPTVs available 12 mths ago, and not XBOX connectivity unfortunately.
    Thanks anyway all input is appreciated.