1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KP44PX2 vs Toshiba PW4223P

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Bristol Pete, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Hello,

Interested in the two sets listed above. I have tried to get a 'good' demo of both sets but alas, the only stores I can find them in are not that good for demoing RP. (big stores).

So, what can people tell me about the two sets, other than the price difference and size.

Firstly, the Tosh interests me becasue of the price and secondly, the component video in. Thirdly, it has had cracking reviews across the av media.

The Sony looks great. However, unsure if I need 100hz as the set is due to go into a dedicated AV room and will mainly be used to watch DVD. RGB would be fine for me. This again has had good reviews and in my opinion is a better looking set, although its picture quality that counts most.

The room that I intend to use is 15 feet long, so I would say that due to the depth of the set, I will be about 13 - 14 feet away. Would I see the scan lines on either set??

What is the picture like on either set, and well set up RP tv at that?

Thanks in advance for any input. I am not asking people to make up my mind I just need some objective advice to steer me in the right direction.

I have to get the right set this time.

Captain Benefit.

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
  3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a tosh before the sony. The sony wins for me. DVDS are EXCELLENT. My tosh suffered from a sort of brown staining on the left of the screen and some vertical bars. None of this is evident on my Sony. Chuffed to bits

hth
    shaun

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42PW23P, excellent picture.

I'm only sitting 5-6 feet away, and the scanlines are not distracting (I've gotton used to them)

From the comments about Sony unreliabity I went with the Toshiba, and also because my DVD player has component outputs- I wanted the best connection method.

The convergence is 98% spot-on, blue needs focusing. Even brightness across the whole screen.

Very pleased, esp for the price - £1100.

Nathan

5. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My son-in-law got the Sony KP44PX2 at Christmas and it is absolutely superb. Probably, in my limited experience, the best RPTV currently available.
    Having said that, I got a Tosh 56WHO8B last September and I am very pleased with it.

Not sure if this helps!

Brian.

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Once again, it is going to be the old "go and see for yourself" answer.

I think the sony looks better than the tosh.

I did have a play with the sony, in a shop for around 20 mins and just could not get the pic looking perfect, to me.
    I also had a play with the tosh for quite awhile in a shop and thought the pic looked better than the sony.....so i brought the tosh.

I was looking around and messing about with them for about 2 weeks, before i brought one.

So my advice would be take your time and keep going in the shops and playing with them, then hopefully, after you keep messing around with them in the shops, you should get a good indication to what one you feel happy with.

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Did you notice a difference between component video and RGB scart. I too am tempted by the component video in, but there are varying reports as to how good it actually is. I understand that it actually pools the films colours from the disk.

Its interesting that people mention the Sony being unreliable. I cannot find any evidence of this.

Captain Benefit.

8. vegnomeat

vegnomeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased the toshiba 42wt29b, It was superb, except ....... it had a nasty brown tinge down the right hand side of the screen, no matter what I tried I couldn't get rid of it and neither could ED, so it went back.

I am though going to purchase another from a different retailer

Wayne

9. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WhenI looked at RP tvs i noticed aALL the Tosh rps had this brown tinge on the right of the screen. Going by this forum its normal for a tosh tv to have this. Buying from a different retailer wont change this. I had the 42wh18b and it had it also. It had to go. replaced with the Sony which so far is perfect. 3 months now. record for me

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine has a slight pink tint on the far right- it's hardly noticeable, unless you really look for it.

I've stayed away from Sony because of the QC. Every single Sony TV I've seen suffers from "right-shift ghosting", which is 100x more annoying than the slighlt pink tint.

I guess the initial picture quality on the Sony's are better, but I could not live with the ghosting problem

Whether or not Sony RP's suffer from this, I don't know.

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In reply to the SCART RGB V Component- my DVD player is a 110V import, therefore it hasn't got a SCART output- just Composite, S-Video and Component.

So I can't compare. In theory Component will be better than SCART RGB