Sony KP44PX2 CRT Life Expentancy

bonoman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Plan to move from a 50Hz Direct View CRT 29" 4:3 Sony to the Sony 36FS76 or maybe even the KP44PX2.

I don't know much about RP TVs in general as I've only ever owned a direct view CRT type.

I'm concerned about tube life , cost of parts etc? Any direct view CRT TVs I've owned to date have lasted me approx 6 - 8 years, they've not even failed after that time but I've just upgraded.

Question 1- I've had a quick read through some of the RP postings in these forums but was unsure whether the Sony KP44PX2 had bulbs/lamps/ or tubes ? in it. Not sure if I've the correct terminology. Anyone any info on this please?

Question 2 - Anyone any ideas about how long I might expect to get from the KP22PX2 with respect to the life of its CRT devices?(Whether they're lamps/bulbs/tubes etc.)

Question 3 - Will a RP set fail quicker if its switched on & off with moderate frequency or would it be better to leave it on & running. (ie Is there a greater chance of blowing its tubes/bulbs etc with it being regularly switched on & off maybe several times a day by kids/wife)

The salesman in the Sony Centre (Dublin Ireland) indicated that the KP44PX2 would have the same life expectancy as the direct view CRT sets I've previously owned 6-8 years based on my viewing pattern being the same? Approx 50-60 hours per week.

I'd be obliged for feedback from anyone with RP sets in general to know what their experience has been in moving from direct view CRT to them & also from KP44PX2 owners in particular with their views on this model.

I can't afford plasma/LCD, don't have room for a set bigger than 44" (also wouldn't be allowed ;-)) or Front Projection System but anyone got any showstopping reasons why they wouldn't go for RP in general or the KP44PX2 specifically if in my position??

Thanks in advance for your time & any feedback.

The Sony is a CRT type- it has three CRT guns (Red, Green & Blue)

The cost of replacing is around £1000 for the set.

It's the same technology as direct views... so I guess it'll last as long..

btw I have a Toshiba 42" CRT RPTV. You do need to adjust focus, and convergence (service level convergence) to make it look it's best.

CRT RPTV's picture quality has improved over the last couple of years- I remember some older types where the middle is bright- but the outer edges were dark. Now the full image is even brightness & contrast.

Go for it! :)

Although personally I would never buy another Sony set.

[EDIT]

Reg Q3, if the set will be watched mid afternoon to afternoon then onto late night- leave it on. Don't switch it on and off every couple of hours just for 20 mins watching.

Also reduce default contrast/brightness from MAX to 40-50%. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!

I also have the 42" tosh and i upgraded from a 32" panny......i am well pleased with the result.....and i would also agree that the life expectence for an RPTV would be the same as a normal CRT direct view.

When i brought mine, i had a look at the Sony, Samsung and tosh and although the Sony has a better cabniet than the tosh IMO the tosh had a better pic......but then after i brought the tosh, i saw the panny 47pt10 and IMO that has a better pic than the tosh and i would of gone for that, if i'd of seen it earlyer......also the panny has a wider viewing angle than the tosh or the sony.
You can get a 42" panny...if i remember correctly, i think it is the 42PT12.

So i would say...YES go for RPTV, you will like it, but IMO check out the panny against the sony.

The sony is sexy but the panny and tosh (IMO only) has a better pic.

I started with 3 sony crt tvs all of which had faults. I then vowed not to get another sony. I went for a panny rp tv. Good set but failed after 2 days. This was replaced by the same model and it also failed. I then went for a tosh RP set. I loved it but after 5 months it too failed and they could not fix it. This model was deleted so i had to go for the Sony PX2. This has been the best by far. The other rp sets I had, had a picture that looked like an RP set (if you kow what i mean) the sony did not. it looks like a normal CRT picture. Very good and bright. It has auto convergence which works great and touch wood I have had no problems with it. Now had it for 7 months. Totally satisfied.

hth
shaun:smashin:

Thanks very much for all your feedback guys.

You've been really helpful & answered my questions.

Appreciate your time & think this is a great forum to have available.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom